OT: Matthews Will Become the Franchise Goal Leader Next Season

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Honestly, it’s entirely possible. Will be close, but if he stays healthy he should be right in that range

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If it’s not next year, it’ll be the year after. We’re watching one of the best players ever to wear the blue and white!

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Eventually Auston Matthews will be the franchise leading goal scorer. It's been ages since TML has seen a talent of the same ilk.

As frustrating as it is being a leaf fan, these are bright times. We havnt seen such a talented team iced since the early 90's and i think we take it for granted.

Let's not forget the antropov, wellwood, tucker ages 🤢

Rantanen Ravin

Sep 8, 2023
Tucker was a g damn saint. Don't you dare Sully his name like that
Eventually Auston Matthews will be the franchise leading goal scorer. It's been ages since TML has seen a talent of the same ilk.

As frustrating as it is being a leaf fan, these are bright times. We havnt seen such a talented team iced since the early 90's and i think we take it for granted.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

03-04 was very talented, but maybe on the old side.

Reactions: Nineteen67

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
There are some big names, but the stat line doesn't scream elite. Now I know that scoring was down during this time, but the matthews Era trumps this one easily IMO

Edit: notice not one leaf had played 82 games. Injury riddled season

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231019_080228_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231019_080228_Samsung Internet.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 3

Rantanen Ravin

Sep 8, 2023
I had love for tucker too. I'm simply mentioning him in reference to the time.
This era of Leafs is fun to watch when they feel like showing up, but the years of Tucker and Roberts and even Sundin, those guys were warriors who gave it their all every game. Players these days are.... different?

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
There are some big names, but the stat line doesn't scream elite. Now I know that scoring was down during this time, but the matthews Era trumps this one easily IMO

Edit: notice not one leaf had played 82 games. Injury riddled season

Other that Kaberle and Stajan that is one old ass team.

Francis, Leech, Newy, Balfour, mogilny, Robert's. Even Mats was pretty far into the back 9

Yikes

Reactions: hurdemz

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
he's also only 439 points behind Sundin with another 5 years under contract he likely is going to surpass Sundin for points as well. if Marner re-signs he will as well. these 2 will be our top 2 all time points leaders

Reactions: WillyC and 666

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
he's also only 439 points behind Sundin with another 5 years under contract he likely is going to surpass Sundin for points as well. if Marner re-signs he will as well. these 2 will be our top 2 all time points leaders
Quite easily if they stay healthy.
Nylander and Tavares will be pretty high up the list as well.

maybe Reilly for defensemen?

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
The fact that AM and Marner are already top 10 in career points (okay, AM is at #11 today but will be top 10 in or month or two) on one hand speaks to how great they've been, on the other how tragically devoid this 100+ year-old franchise has been in finding elite talent, at least while they are still elite.

Reactions: 666 and wingman75

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Quite easily if they stay healthy.
Nylander and Tavares will be pretty high up the list as well.

maybe Reilly for defensemen?

Nylander currently at 436 puts him at 19th all time. after this season's he's likely to be 14th

Tavares currently 29th @ 360 points likely to be around Nylander currently is

Rielly is 21st among all players in points with 417. 4th in defense. currently 41 points behind Horton, 103 behind Kaberle, and 351 behind Salming. he'll definitely become the 2nd best defenseman in points and with 7 years being under contract has a chance but will be tough to catch salming

Reactions: Fogelhund

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
The fact that AM and Marner are already top 10 in career points (okay, AM is at #11 today but will be top 10 in or month or two) on one hand speaks to how great they've been, on the other how tragically devoid this 100+ year-old franchise has been in finding elite talent, at least while they are still elite.

Sundin is our points leader with 987. only 8 teams in the league has a lower point leader then that two of them being Vegas and Seattle which isn;t even possible for them yet. Columbus, Arizona, Winnipeg, Florida, Minnesota and Nashville

Reactions: kevsh

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nylander currently at 436 puts him at 19th all time. after this season's he's likely to be 14th

Rielly is 21st among all players in points with 417. 4th in defense. currently 41 points behind Horton, 103 behind Kaberle, and 351 behind Salming. he'll definitely become the 2nd best defenseman in points and with 7 years being under contract has a chance but will be tough to catch salming
Thanks for that, thought Tavares would have been higher.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario

I've long been a proponent of retiring #15, could argue that he's the #3 defenseman in 100 years of team history. Also had team success (relatively speaking)

Also
#34 was a lock the day he won the Hart
#44 will be up there if he plays out this contract
#16 and #88 if they resign and play it out.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
03-04 was very talented, but maybe on the old side.

That was the way teams most often won then, with veteran proven players. This was before the salary cap, before analytics.

It's sad that the Leafs couldn't win back then with the budgets they had vs other teams.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This era of Leafs is fun to watch when they feel like showing up, but the years of Tucker and Roberts and even Sundin, those guys were warriors who gave it their all every game. Players these days are.... different?
I think that's true, players are different these days. That said, there are still some warrior types in today's game though (Kadri comes to mind), there's just less of them.

I predicted Matthews would win a Hart during his first season, he's done that and now looks to be on track to go down as perhaps the greatest Maple Leaf of all-time. We can only hope that the team has some playoff success so his legacy won't be tainted by him being the de-facto leader of a group of perennial playoff underachievers. Would be nice of his career ended up being more like Lafleur and less like Dionne (the older fans will perhaps get this reference). Dionne was a phenomenal player but I'll bet he'd trade most his individual successes to just have just one cup win on his resume.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's Awesome Matthews, best player the Leafs have ever had. Of course he is going to be breaking records, all the records.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I would agree but they can never manage to get over the hump.

More success than the Leafs but that is not that difficult to reach
They seem to lack the toughness up front to win the Cup, but with the East down (on paper) this year they could make the finals
They dont play on paper,but the Canes, Devils and Rangers look like the front runners , but you can never count out Boston and a healthy Tampa. The rest are still a year or two away.

Reactions: Jojalu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad