Matthews Vs Dahlin Vs Mcdavid in most attention/expectations before his upcoming draft?

Which player getting the most attention and expectations before his upcoming draft?

• Auston Matthews 2016

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Rasmus Dahlin 2018

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Connor Mcdavid 2015

Votes: 91 95.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
McDavid without a question.

That being said Dahlin has garnered the most attention regarding Defensemen since Potvin.

Matthews was nearly Eichel level(he’s seemed to become better though), so he’s not even close into the conversation.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
McDavid by far.

I'd say Tavares got a lot more "hype" than Matthews/Dahlin too. Otherwise, Crosby might be the only one that can compare to McDavid's hype.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
McDavid without a question.

That being said Dahlin has garnered the most attention regarding Defensemen since Potvin.

Matthews was nearly Eichel level(he’s seemed to become better though), so he’s not even close into the conversation.

Surprisingly, I don't think Dahlin gets as much attention as his talent deserves. Analysts/scouts tend to stray away from making big claims when it comes to defensive prospects.

In my eyes, a young player of his caliber deserves a lot more hype.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
McD by a country mile.
As for Dahlin - it's simply because I can't remember a D-man getting this much attention since Hedman and that wasn't anything like Dahlin right now.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
McDavid by far.

I'd say Tavares got a lot more "hype" than Matthews/Dahlin too. Otherwise, Crosby might be the only one that can compare to McDavid's hype.
Yeah, the hype around Tavares was unreal.

In his 16 year old season he put up 72 goals in 67 games breaking a record previously held by Wayne Gretzky. Then the next year there was talk he wanted an exception to allow him to be drafted in the 2008 draft (too young by like a week).

The hype around Tavares did die down quite a bit in his final year though. To the point where there were some semi serious debates leading up to the draft about Tavares vs Hedman for first overall.

Neither Matthews nor Dahlin come close to the type of hype either McDavid or Tavares got.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
Here on HF Dahlin is winning proven NHLers by a landslide. That's what I call expectations and a shiny new toy syndrome.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Crosby's hype was higher. Dahlin is the most hyped d-man in the last 40 years.
Crosby's hype I think was magnified by a couple factors when compared to McDavid.

The big one is, there was no 2004/05 season. Due to this, more people tuned in to watch junior hockey and the WJC was by far the biggest event of the year for most NA hockey fans. His showdown with Ovi and Malkin with that stacked 2005 Canadian WJC team was the biggest non-lockout story of that season. He captivated people there and then played in the Memorial Cup. The other was the draft lottery for him where anyone could win. I still remember seeing Oceanic Crosby jersey's around Toronto, and I never saw any Erie McDavid's around.

Overall, they were the same tier of prospect, but Crosby's draft year coincided with the lockout I think really helped him become a massive story to the casual fan.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Crosby's hype I think was magnified by a couple factors when compared to McDavid.

The big one is, there was no 2004/05 season. Due to this, more people tuned in to watch junior hockey and the WJC was by far the biggest event of the year for most NA hockey fans. His showdown with Ovi and Malkin with that stacked 2005 Canadian WJC team was the biggest non-lockout story of that season. He captivated people there and then played in the Memorial Cup. The other was the draft lottery for him where anyone could win. I still remember seeing Oceanic Crosby jersey's around Toronto, and I never saw any Erie McDavid's around.

Overall, they were the same tier of prospect, but Crosby's draft year coincided with the lockout I think really helped him become a massive story to the casual fan.

Crosby was easily the better prospect at age 16. He won the Q scoring title going away and won the CHL's MVP. McDavid improved a bunch in his draft year but Crosby in his draft year was dominating his league like Wayne and Mario did in their draft years.

There is a good possibility Crosby would have lead the Q in scoring if he played as a 15 year old.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
McDavid improved a bunch in his draft year but Crosby in his draft year was dominating his league like Wayne and Mario did in their draft years.
Considering OHL is proven to be clearly stronger league than Q, it's arguable that McDavid's points per game adjusts to higher in Q than Crosby's in his draft year.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Considering OHL is proven to be clearly stronger league than Q, it's arguable that McDavid's points per game adjusts to higher in Q than Crosby's in his draft year.

Based on what? Q teams do very well at the Memorial Cup.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Based on what? Q teams do very well at the Memorial Cup.
Point production in the OHL has a higher transfer rate to NHL than production in Q. Using the current rates McDavid's production has higher NHLe than Crosby's, but there are significant problems in comparing 10 years apart. That's why I said arguably. I would appreciate input from @93LEAFS

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Point production in the OHL has a higher transfer rate to NHL than production in Q. Using the current rates McDavid's production has higher NHLe than Crosby's, but there are significant problems in comparing 10 years apart. That's why I said arguably. I would appreciate input from @93LEAFS

We are talking hype, not who should have been viewed as the better prospect. Crosby was the best Junior player at age 16 and was dominating the Q on a level that was comparable to Mario. He put himself on the national radar after dominating the Air Canada Cup as a double underager at age 13. He then dominated the US prep league. That he didn't get exceptional status as a 15 year old to play in the Q is an oversight up there with leaving him off the 2006 Olympic team.

There was no caveat that "well he comes from the Q so let's see how his game translates to the NHL". Since 2005, top OHL player picks have hardly shown that doing well in the O means you have the upper hand over the other junior leagues in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad