Matthews vs Bergeron

Matthews vs Bergeron

• Matthews

• Bergeron

Results are only viewable after voting.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
who will be the better player for the next few seasons?

2018-2019

Matthews 7g/10pts in 4 games
Bergeron 4g/6pts in 3 games

2017-2018

AM: 34g/63pts in 62 games
PB: 30g/63pts in 64 games

2016-2017

AM: 40g/69pts in 82 games
PB: 21g/53pts in 79 games

TOTAL: 81g/142pts (148 games) AM vs 55g/122pts (146 games) PB

Last edited:

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
Boy, I love both (I'm a Leafs fan). Before Matthews was drafted by the Leafs, guess who my favourite player was? You guessed it, Bergeron. The man does so many things well, and yet gets undervalued year in and year out.

He also shut down Matthews line during the playoffs. Though to be fair to Matthews, he was snake-bitten. His entire line was.

The funny thing is, Matthews is a point per game against Boston. He's just impossible to stop when he gets going. And seeing that he's already taken a tremendous step forward this season, I'm not sure there's any real justification to take Bergeron other than for his defensive skills -- and Matthews is climbing up that ladder quickly too.

Love me some Bergeron, but I think this goes to Matthews. Matthews now, and definitely in the future.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
You're asking two questions in your post for one poll.

I like both players a lot but if I had to pick one now for going forward it would be Matthews.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Boy, I love both (I'm a Leafs fan). Before Matthews was drafted by the Leafs, guess who my favourite player was? You guessed it, Bergeron. The man does so many things well, and yet gets undervalued year in and year out.

He also shut down Matthews line during the playoffs. Though to be fair to Matthews, he was snake-bitten. His entire line was.

The funny thing is, Matthews is a point per game against Boston. He's just impossible to stop when he gets going. And seeing that he's already taken a tremendous step forward this season, I'm not sure there's any real justification to take Bergeron other than for his defensive skills -- and Matthews is climbing up that ladder quickly too.

Love me some Bergeron, but I think this goes to Matthews. Matthews now, and definitely in the future.

Matthews was playing hurt that series. They are as close as they'll ever be right now but going forward I don't think there's any doubt it's Matthews.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
You are asking two questions, but dont have all the poll options to answer.

Very few wont choose Matthews in the future (ridiculous question anyway because of age difference). So the only interesting question is the first.

Anyway: Right now Bergeron, future Matthews.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
meant to say immediate future. edited to who will be better the next few years (2018-2020)

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
For the next two seasons I'll take bergeron, the amount of goals/points he prevents will make up the scoring difference. After 2 years gimme AM.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Bergeron was also playing hurt. Still did his job.

Yeah well good for him, but he's hardly had very impressive playoff numbers for much of his career. He is a better playoff player than 19 and 20 year old Matthews, but go figure.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Yeah well good for him, but he's hardly had very impressive playoff numbers for much of his career. He is a better playoff player than 19 and 20 year old Matthews, but go figure.

Did you know there is more to hockey than points?! Baffling, yes, but it's true.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Hockey is about more than just points.
Bergeron is elite defensively. Matthews is not. I’d give the edge to Matthews offensively but that doesn’t overcome the huge gap defensively.
For the next few years I’d go Bergeron.

Reactions: draft day

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
You act like Matthews is not good defensively, and I just said that Bergeron has been the better playoff player despite not putting up great numbers, so not sure exactly where you gathered that I'm not aware of his defensive impact. You're out of your mind if you don't think Matthews will end up a better playoff player, that's all I can say.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
There is a simple way to put this, if Seattle had the opportunity to select ANY player from Toronto vs Boston right now, but could only take 1 Centre who would their GM take? the nearly 34 year old centre or the 21 year old 6'3" 220 lbs franchise centre?

99.9% Seattle is taking Matthews, and so would all of you if you were a GM in that position and you know it.

End of discussion.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
There is a simple way to put this, if Seattle had the opportunity to select ANY player from Toronto vs Boston right now, but could only take 1 Centre who would their GM take? the nearly 34 year old centre or the 21 year old 6'3" 220 lbs franchise centre?

99.9% Seattle is taking Matthews, and so would all of you if you were a GM in that position and you know it.

End of discussion.

End of discussion about the topic? Because that scenario has no relation to the thread

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
End of discussion about the topic? Because that scenario has no relation to the thread

Its just another way to look at it, how doesn't it have any relation to the thread? can you not read and comprehend? the thread is about which player will be better in the next few seasons, a GM is going to want to pick the better player. Potato potato. Stop trying to over complicate things.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Bergeron is so uniquely awesome that this is one comparison to Matthews that I don't actually find insulting at all.

I'd still take Matthews, but Bergy's one of only a couple that might be able to nullify Matthews one on one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad