Proposal: Matthews Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
It is becoming more evident as M. Marner gets closer to the 100 point mark that he will deserve to be paid out. Having 3 players making over 11 million cannot be sustained unfortunately.
I would like to keep Marner and he deserves AM money or close to it. There is no way they will trade JT as he is a recent arrival.
That leaves us with AM. He is a great player although a bit inconsistent at the moment. He would be an attractive marquee player for a struggling american team (not Phoenix) .

My proposal or a basis to a practical trade is:

AM to Columbus

Pierre Luc Dubois and Seth Jones to Toronto

There may be some prospects or draft picks to even things out.
Leafs get their right D and an up and coming center with pedigree , Blue Jackets get a major piece in their rebuilding after Panarin and Goalie Bob leave.

Reactions: Americanadian

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
It is becoming more evident as M. Marner gets closer to the 100 point mark that he will deserve to be paid out. Having 3 players making over 11 million cannot be sustained unfortunately.
I would like to keep Marner and he deserves AM money or close to it. There is no way they will trade JT as he is a recent arrival.
That leaves us with AM. He is a great player although a bit inconsistent at the moment. He would be an attractive marquee player for a struggling american team (not Phoenix) .

My proposal or a basis to a practical trade is:

AM to Columbus

Pierre Luc Dubois and Seth Jones to Toronto

There may be some prospects or draft picks to even things out.
Leafs get their right D and an up and coming center with pedigree , Blue Jackets get a major piece in their rebuilding after Panarin and Goalie Bob leave.

simpsons_torch_mob-e1297270050635.jpg

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Last night Matthews dominated the best player in the world head to head.

Why the hell would anyone want to trade him.

Makes zero sense.
Cap issues and to shore up areas of weakness. It will cost Columbus a fair bit too. maybe they have to throw in a 1st or high prospect. What would it take?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Right now this is a:

1. Bad idea and won’t be received well
2. Not in the plans of management moving forward.

However, in terms of this thread plus playoff success (or lack) and the boatload potential return/cap:

You could have an extremely functional core with:

Tavares (11) ... Marner (9-11)
Nylander (6.9 2C)

Rielly (8-10) ...

And then the return.
But at this time we are on a specific course where these players are concerned.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Cap issues and to shore up areas of weakness. It will cost Columbus a fair bit too. maybe they have to throw in a 1st or high prospect. What would it take?

Doesnt seem to be a logical trade.

PLD and Jones are going to make more than Matthews combined very soon and neither is as game breaking.

All signs point to Matthews being one of the greatest goal scorers in the game as well as a solid two way center.

You dont trade franchise centers with HOF level goal scoring.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Right now this is a:

1. Bad idea and won’t be received well
2. Not in the plans of management moving forward.

However, in terms of this thread plus playoff success (or lack) and the boatload potential return/cap:

You could have an extremely functional core with:

Tavares (11) ... Marner (9-11)
Nylander (6.9 2C)

Rielly (8-10) ...

And then the return.
But at this time we are on a specific course where these players are concerned.
Can the Cap sustain 3 forwards making 11 plus million a year? that is the basis of the trade, not to dump AM for pittance.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009

PLD and Jones are going to make more than Matthews combined very soon and neither is as game breaking.

All signs point to Matthews being one of the greatest goal scorers in the game as well as a solid two way center.

We don't know that for certain with AM. His injury conserns maybe what derails him.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC

I wouldn't say all signs as health is a big one and he hasn't proved that one. He's good don't get me wrong but he's not as good as some try to say in my opinion. He's a 40 goal scorer on average since being in league including missed games nothing to cry about but far from calling him one of the greatest goal scorers in game.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

I’m sure an argument could be made that Seth Jones impacts the game at a similar level to Matthews. Dubois is on the verge of making the playoffs for the second straight year as the 1C for CBJ. PLD won’t be due a raise until the summer of 2020 which is after Marleau’s deal expires which solves the only real cap crunch which is next year. Jones’ contract is one of the best in the league - I’d argue similar value to Scheifele and Pastrnak.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017

LOL Matthews is game breaking for US, that's for sure.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
I would take Matthews for Draisaitl 1 for 1. At least the guy plays with intensity and shows that he wants to win every night. Rather have guys that can live up to their physic than a big floater on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad