Confirmed with Link: Matthews to miss all star game. Dealing with a minor wrist injury

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Personally, I'd rather the NHL dumped the All-Star game AND the idea of NHLers playing for their country (or region) in any kind of international competitions.

International competitions still entertain because the players take them seriously. At the very least, you end up seeing superstars going all out against each other.

The all-star game is a complete joke.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I'm not sure if this makes me a bad person but I'd be happy if all our guys missed that joke of an event
no I would not mind that as well, but when I was a a kid I really did look forward to seeing all my fav players play, its pretty much for the kids I believe I hate it now, but loved it back than....

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
no I would not mind that as well, but when I was a a kid I really did look forward to seeing all my fav players play, its pretty much for the kids I believe I hate it now, but loved it back than....

Yea, but now many stars opt to not playing in it anymore. Panarin out, ovie out, Matthews out, and probably a few others as well. I am not sure kids wanna watch a Kreider or a Tkachuk or a Duclair, no offence to those guys.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Why would he be at home training? I get trying to keep the days for taxes....
But take the week off especially if hurt

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Not worried yet. If it was anything more serious the team and AM34 wouldn't have waited for the break...

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Yea, but now many stars opt to not playing in it anymore. Panarin out, ovie out, Matthews out, and probably a few others as well. I am not sure kids wanna watch a Kreider or a Tkachuk or a Duclair, no offence to those guys.
oh of course not was just saying when I grew up it was like a huge deal to me, but yea back than not many opted out....

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Please announce an Andersen injury too.

Yeah I don't think getting shelled in this gimmick game could possibly help him get back on track, he's the last Lesf I'd like to see play. For goalies the game is just undeserved punishment.

Reactions: EN4CER

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
He's still going to rub elbows with the better players in the game, he won't miss a game apparently.

All in all good news. I don't watch the all star gimmick anyways.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Sucks wanted to see him win an accuracy shot contest or ASG MVP. Would've been nice but yea we've heard he's been nursing an injury for a little bit now. Good that he's taking the rest. He'll still be at festivities so that's good.

I'll be cheering on Marner to do some magic for the fans in STL, and hopefully Freddy gets shelled in the breakaway challenge. That should wake him up.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Personally, I'd rather the NHL dumped the All-Star game AND the idea of NHLers playing for their country (or region) in any kind of international competitions.

Idk I love seeing Team Canada play, its the only thing with a Leaf on the jersey that I get to see win :laugh:

Crosby - Mcdavid - Mackinnon would be insanity

Reactions: EN4CER

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Besides the news that Matthews won't be playing and this isn't the biggest deal, did anyone wonder why someone like William Nylander was not asked to replace him? The NHL when possible likes to replace a player with someone else from that same team, so unless he said no why wasn't Nylander selected and Brady Tkachuk is his replacement?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'd be perfectly okay with nobody going to represent the Leafs. This team is getting killed with injuries right now.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
This screams to me as being a case of Matthews wanting to take some down time and heal some bumps and bruises, but showing face at the game to avoid the one-game suspension.

Both his importance to the team and every game being huge down the stretch, this seems like a win-win scenario for him and the team.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

member 300185

Here's a thought and just throwing this out there. He is faking to get out of the all star weekend. Players have been doing this for years and if you look at his last couple goals you can clearly see there is nothing wrong with his wrist and if there was, he wouldnt be able to shoot like that.

If you dont want to go to the allstar game, fake an injury. Just ask Crosby. He has been faking injury for years.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This screams to me as being a case of Matthews wanting to take some down time and heal some bumps and bruises, but showing face at the game to avoid the one-game suspension.

Both his importance to the team and every game being huge down the stretch, this seems like a win-win scenario for him and the team.
Even if Matthews didn't show up in St. Louis he wouldn't have been suspended because he's not playing for a legit reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad