TSN: Matthews, Tavares & Marner on TSN's top 50 players list for the 2018-2019 season

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You're nothing if not consistent. What had Ovi done in the playoffs all these years outside of disappearing, and having little impact? Auston is now 21 years old, and been a crucial piece to a young team even making the playoffs. He has time. He's a kid. He'll be getting a hefty contract with great reason, next year. By all accounts, he's been a beast, and he's in perfect health.

The rumblings I have heard is that he has an issue with his back. It takes vary little time to injure that part of your body and although it can get better, once it's compromised it can certainly be a recurring issue.

Also: I have heard that the strategy for Matthews going forward is going to be Physical by opposition as they noticed (as did I) once he is under physical threat his effectiveness is severely limited. New players take time to figure out for teams and if you think that OVI since you brought him up wasn't limited after the 2010 Olympics, guess again. Ovi was neutralized but since then last season in particular everyone just let him have a clean shot from the wing on the PP. Nobody even covered him.

We may need an enforcer if any of that is true.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
The rumblings I have heard is that he has an issue with his back. It takes vary little time to injure that part of your body and although it can get better, once it's compromised it can certainly be a recurring issue.

Also: I have heard that the strategy for Matthews going forward is going to be Physical by opposition as they noticed (as did I) once he is under physical threat his effectiveness is severely limited. New players take time to figure out for teams and if you think that OVI since you brought him up wasn't limited after the 2010 Olympics, guess again. Ovi was neutralized but since then last season in particular everyone just let him have a clean shot from the wing on the PP. Nobody even covered him.

We may need an enforcer if any of that is true.

Pfttt lmfao

Reactions: kesleaf

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Pfttt lmfao

If you don't think that the Matthews Nylander soft play vs. Boston was not noticed by scouts and coaches the like... Think again. It's not just then either, both Nylander and Matthews do their best to avoid physical play, and as good as they are, they need to become men. JT does not avoid the physical elements of the game, he will take a hit to make a play. You're going to love watching Matthews have to push himself to be as good as JT this season. Hockey isn't all about potting pucks in the net you know. If you want to isolate certain things and fabricate your own criteria for best players in the NHL, it's easy to make a list appear to favor young players. Doesn't mean it's a good list, just a list.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Main boards are already losing their minds with Matthews at 8. Score 50 goals and shut them all the **** up, Matty.

They are right. The list should not have him in that spot and JT should actually be ahead of Matthews. Matthews has the higher ceiling though, no arguments there but now it seems we are just handing out ranks like nothing.

It's a terrible list.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
They are right. The list should not have him in that spot and JT should actually be ahead of Matthews. Matthews has the higher ceiling though, no arguments there but now it seems we are just handing out ranks like nothing.

It's a terrible list.
No, Matthews was better than Tavares last year and should be expected to be better than Tavares again this year

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
No, Matthews was better than Tavares last year and should be expected to be better than Tavares again this year

They produce nearly the exact same and JT probably had harder quality of competition. He has been doing this with a dysfunctional team for years. JT is really good, you know that right? Like, really really good. Even in Pre season his stats are better.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009

It's a terrible list.
That's fine, they can disagree. I don't really give a shit, I just know we're gonna score a shit ton of goals and I'm very happy with this.

Reactions: thewave

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
That's fine, they can disagree. I don't really give a ****, I just know we're gonna score a **** ton of goals and I'm very happy with this.

Yeah for sure. I am down with winning and scoring. I am not down with idiot media types crowning a kid King and pumping his tires prematurely so he thinks he deserves McDavid money for, well, not McDavid performances.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
They produce nearly the exact same and JT probably had harder quality of competition. He has been doing this with a dysfunctional team for years. JT is really good, you know that right? Like, really really good. Even in Pre season his stats are better.
Matthews produces way better at 5v5, and he also plays against top competition. he's better

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Yeah for sure. I am down with winning and scoring. I am not down with idiot media types crowning a kid King and pumping his tires prematurely so he thinks he deserves McDavid money for, well, not McDavid performances.
Good luck to Matthews and his agent citing the media in negotiations to get McDavid money.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Matthews should be in the mid to late teens. These guys just mess with everything Toronto so that they can create hits. Matthews is a good player, no doubt but he hasn't proven much if anything in things like POs. He also seems to have some issues with the upper body and it's seemingly persistent. When that happens he plays but his production goes down a lot. If it happens again this year we had better think long and hard about the Matthews strategy.
He is the #1 even strength goal scorer in the league since his entry into the league...gotta be worth something...check his other stats sometime ...8 is probably low.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Barkov is a great player, but I've always been baffled by the Barkov beat-off that goes on 24/7 here.

He's missed games every season (yet Matthews is injury prone).

He has no PPG seasons (78 in 79 splitting hairs but just the same argument they use at the main).

He has a great supporting cast (Huberdeau, Trocheck, Ekblad, Yandle, Matheson, Dadonov) but he's played 6 playoff games in five seasons.

And so on.

Matthews is better younger.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Matthews produces way better at 5v5, and he also plays against top competition. he's better

So that's what it is now? That's all it takes? He didn't even complete a full season last year and the PO were nothing remarkable. If this is your measure we are now the NBA and as the NBA we will now simply pay for potential in contracts going forward.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
good rankings for Matthews and Tavares.

Marner might not deserve that though.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He is the #1 even strength goal scorer in the league since his entry into the league...gotta be worth something...check his other stats sometime ...8 is probably low.

Over 1 and 2/3rds of a season. I am surprised this new 5v5 Metric does not make him ranked #1 in the League. Laughing stock.

Tmart335

Aug 19, 2018
I realize that but I think his 85 points could also be a fluke and he never gets close to that number again, where as last season we saw Marner improve on his rookie numbers and lead the Leafs in scoring.

50 pts could be a fluke. 85 points is not. Huge marner fan, but let's not diminish what barzal did as a rookie. Simply outstanding. I mean he may drop in production playing 1st line minutes, but I still expect 60+

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Over 1 and 2/3rds of a season. I am surprised this new 5v5 Metric does not make him ranked #1 in the League. Laughing stock.
Check his advanced stats sometime...so that it at least appears that you know what you are talking about!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Check his advanced stats sometime...so that it at least appears that you know what you are talking about!

1.5 seasons means nothing. You could find 1.5 seasons where Ovi was better than Crosby. You could probably find 1.5 seasons where Stamkos was as good as Crosby. You can't tell anything from 1.5 seasons is the reality of the matter. It's promising, sure but is he PPG player? No. McDavid is, way above PPG actually but reportedly, Matthews wants McDavid money. He can F-Off if that's true.

List is a joke, you can't take 1.5 freaking years of advanced stats and proclaim a player #8 in the world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad