TSN: Matthews, Tavares & Marner on TSN's top 50 players list for the 2018-2019 season

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Lists are always crappy, but I'm pretty pleased to see Matthews in the top10. It was probably a bit reactionary to have him at #10 last year, but he's proven that 40g wasn't a fluke, he's the real deal. A responsible two-way centreman who goes PPG and contends for Rockets is absolutely a top10 player.

The list is still a little too reactionary IMO, Mackinnon needs another year of that performance to be a top10 player and Taylor Hall is not going to repeat his numbers. I'd have Bergeron higher, but overall it's really not that bad.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I realize Barzal had more points last season than Marner and also won the Calder Trophy. However if you only take his total points into account using that logic he should also be ranked ahead of Tavares since he had 1 more total point than him last season.
tavares was the guy taking the tough matchups and producing points, while barzal took the weaker matchups and produced. tavares also has the reputation of being amazing for a while while barzal has just 1 season in the nhl.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
tavares was the guy taking the tough matchups and producing points, while barzal took the weaker matchups and produced. tavares also has the reputation of being amazing for a while while barzal has just 1 season in the nhl.
The fact that Barzal had 1 season doesn't mean he should be ranked higher than Marner who's had 2 NHL seasons and he improved on his stats as a rookie.

Reactions: stickty111

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
if it's a better season, then yes.

barzal had 63 assists (85 points) whereas marner only had 69 points.

he was consistent all season while marner wasn't.

Marner had 9 PO points. Barzal none. Barzal crapped the bed at the worlds. 7 pts no goals. 3 pts vs Korea. Should not the whole body of work count.

Reactions: Critical91

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Marner had 9 PO points. Barzal none. Barzal crapped the bed at the worlds. 7 pts no goals. 3 pts vs Korea. Should not the whole body of work count.
the whole body of the regular season in the nhl is the only thing that should count. not the playoffs or extra tournament stuff.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
if it's a better season, then yes.

barzal had 63 assists (85 points) whereas marner only had 69 points.

he was consistent all season while marner wasn't.
You can also say his 85 points might have been just a one time thing. So I think that's what got him ranked higher than Marner more than winning the Calder.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Button had Tavares LATE 30's, 38 I believe. He also had Ovi in the 30's last year, so there's a good omen!

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I realize that but I think his 85 points could also be a fluke and he never gets close to that number again, where as last season we saw Marner improve on his rookie numbers and lead the Leafs in scoring.
well tsn probably doesn't think it's a fluke and if you actually watched barzal you would know he has legit skills.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
well tsn probably doesn't think it's a fluke and if you actually watched barzal you would know he has legit skills.
If you want to rank Barzal ahead of Marner because he won the Calder Trophy last season I can see that. However I also think they saw his 85 points from last season as the other reason why he's ahead of Marner and I wouldn't have used that as a reason why.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
If you want to rank Barzal ahead of Marner because he won the Calder Trophy last season I can see that. However I also think they saw his 85 points from last season as the other reason why he's ahead of Marner and I wouldn't have used that as a reason why.
why wouldn't you have used that as a reason why? oh let me guess. its because you think it was a fluke.

it doesn't matter that you think it's a fluke or not. chances are it isn't. putting up 85 points as a rookie is amazing and certainly better than 69 points. idk how you can really think otherwise.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Rankings are not based on points alone..

Mikko Rantanen drafted 10th OA in Marner's draft year finished with 84 points last year, and is ranked -2 spots behind Marner at #37OA on this list.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Imagine McDavid and Hall on the same team. Damn, that would have been fun to watch them burn people alive with their speed.

How Rantanen went as low as 10 is way beyond my comprehension.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
I love Marner but I would way way rather have Barzal. Much better natural skill set. Marner is one hit away from being retired. I fear a Kaberle end for him at some point. Hope I am wrong.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Matthews should be in the mid to late teens. These guys just mess with everything Toronto so that they can create hits. Matthews is a good player, no doubt but he hasn't proven much if anything in things like POs. He also seems to have some issues with the upper body and it's seemingly persistent. When that happens he plays but his production goes down a lot. If it happens again this year we had better think long and hard about the Matthews strategy.

You're nothing if not consistent. What had Ovi done in the playoffs all these years outside of disappearing, and having little impact? Auston is now 21 years old, and been a crucial piece to a young team even making the playoffs. He has time. He's a kid. He'll be getting a hefty contract with great reason, next year. By all accounts, he's been a beast, and he's in perfect health.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->