Matthews ranks 101st among forwards in 5v5 ice time per game

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
And we have another goldfish. :facepalm:

Read the whole post. It’s pretty sad and scary that reading a tiny amount of text is so hard for people.

So many emotional reactions over a sarcastic post:laugh:

You got a strange brand of sarcasm my man.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It’s actually quite hilarious reading all these posts by wanna be coaches.:laugh:

It’s obviously none of you know what you are talking about and quite clear what Babcock is doing. Why the **** would you burn out your star player by over playing him in the meaningless regular season? I can’t wait to laugh at everyone when Matthews is well rested and dominating in his 22+ minutes in the first pre-season game next season!

I think broadly speaking load management is an interesting topic - the NBA for example is way more into it. And I do agree that it makes little sense in some ways to overplay your best players in relatively meaningless regular season gauges.

BUT the Leafs usage distribution is still pretty wonky - even looking at the last playoffs Matthew's was still not getting as much icetime as he probably should have. And then you also look at how much extra icetime certain questionable players get it makes it harder to understand

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
It’s actually quite hilarious reading all these posts by wanna be coaches.:laugh:

It’s obviously none of you know what you are talking about and quite clear what Babcock is doing. Why the **** would you burn out your star player by over playing him in the meaningless regular season? I can’t wait to laugh at everyone when Matthews is well rested and dominating in his 22+ minutes in the first pre-season game next season!

You just knew the “ you don’t coach in the NHL” comment was coming.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
I think broadly speaking load management is an interesting topic - the NBA for example is way more into it. And I do agree that it makes little sense in some ways to overplay your best players in relatively meaningless regular season gauges.

BUT the Leafs usage distribution is still pretty wonky - even looking at the last playoffs Matthew's was still not getting as much icetime as he probably should have. And then you also look at how much extra icetime certain questionable players get it makes it harder to understand

I agree to an extent but my sarcastic post was just alluding to the fact that Babcock played Matthews more in the his first preseason game than he did in Game 7 last year.

A lot of people are not reading or understanding the whole post. :)

I guess I’ll stick to fart jokes.:dunno:

Reactions: Stubu and Menzinger

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Please read the whole post. How hard is it to read 5 or 6 sentences? You read one sentence and the pearl clutching starts. Are you a goldfish? :facepalm:

No wonder people are so uninformed/easily conditioned and the media uses click bait headlines, it works and that’s sad and scary.
Just like the other guy, I read it all. Am I a goldfish? Maybe run along little fella, the grown ups are talking in here.

Reactions: IPS

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Just like the other guy, I read it all. Am I a goldfish? Maybe run along little fella, the grown ups are talking in here.

You clearly didn’t and you continue to blame me. It’s not my fault it went over your head. Everybody else admitted it, yet here you are. Don’t worry, your ego can take the hit.

You really sound like a grown up.:laugh:

Reactions: Plub and Stubu

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
So let me see, you know what I did and didn’t read more then I do, like I said run along before you make yourself look more foolish then you already do. The other guys were being sarcastic, clearly gone over your head.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
So let me see, you know what I did and didn’t read more then I do, like I said run along before you make yourself look more foolish then you already do. The other guys were being sarcastic, clearly gone over your head.

This post really is amazing. I don’t even know how to respond. The awareness and logic is flawless.:facepalm:

“Glup, glup”, young fella. :cheers:

Reactions: Stubu

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

I gotta confess: I got as far as "Why the **** would you burn out your star player by over playing him in the meaningless regular season?" and stopped there and thought "oh great, another one of these nitwits"

There's just been way too much BS spewed following that line of false reasoning to defend babcock over the last couple years that I just can't even entertain it anymore. He got me good by leaving the punchline until the last 5 word of his post.

But I do agree he should stick to fart jokes.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
I gotta confess: I got as far as "Why the **** would you burn out your star player by over playing him in the meaningless regular season?" and stopped there and thought "oh great, another one of these nitwits"

There's just been way too much BS spewed following that line of false reasoning to defend babcock over the last couple years that I just can't even entertain it anymore. He got me good by leaving the punchline until the last 5 word of his post.

But I do agree he should stick to fart jokes.
Lol, no kidding. When they say wanna be coaches, you know right then and there they can’t observe and form their own opinion.

Reactions: IPS

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
So last season, it was about him not having enough total time on ice, now its not having enough 5 on 5? What's next? He doesn't kill enough penalties? It's only been 5 games, that's too small of a sample size to make anything of it. You can't forget that he plays heavy minutes on the power play and the first 3 games the Leafs had 15 power plays, so I can his stats being skewed a bit because of that . You also can't forget that he's the second line centre either. I don't think there should be any real worry about his ice time just yet, every season his ice time has only increased and I expect more of the same.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
Not sure why people keep bringing up the point that hes being saved for the playoffs when weve been proven year and year out that babcock will play his lines exactly the same in them anyway. Babcock isnt saving him for anything, he is just out to lunch.

Recent history certainly hasn't dictated that we'll see any change, unfortunately. Who knows, maybe Backcock is absorbing all sorts of new habits that he'll pull out this off-season!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Thing is with load management. You are probably better off loading them up for big games against rivals and potential playoff matches. What if you need to use a player 28mins in an OT game but they have absolutely no conditioning for that. It just makes no sense to me this idea that they will spare him all the time because sports science dept says so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->