TSN: Matthews promoted Toronto at ASG: 'I’m not shy about how much I enjoy playing here'

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
As much as I wanted Stamkos, he wasn't leaving TB and why would he. TB is a contender and he is their captain, what's can the Leafa offered him at that time beside HOPE.
JT is different as Islanders is not even close to being a contender, they are only good bc Bailey is having a career year, Barzal is good but still too soon to call him an elite player and they don't really have a pipeline of players like TB.
From a player standpoint, Leafs is way way more attractive than Islanders, something we can't say the same when Stamkos was a UFA between Leafs and TB.
Bailey is also set to become a UFA at the end of this season. So how much of his great play is due to that fact when it's never happened before? It wouldn't be the first time a team signed a UFA based on one great season and he never performed up to that level again.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Bailey is also set to become a UFA at the end of this season. So how much of his great play is due to that fact when it's never happened before? It wouldn't be the first time a team signed a UFA based on one great season and he never performed up to that level again.
Clarkson, lol.

That's my point. Two years ago, if a UFA have to choose between TB and Leafs, he will choose TB. Whereas today, if it is between Lead and Isles, he will choose the Leafs.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Clarkson, lol.

That's my point. Two years ago, if a UFA have to choose between TB and Leafs, he will choose TB. Whereas today, if it is between Lead and Isles, he will choose the Leafs.
I won't say it's a guarantee he chooses the Leafs, however I will say they might have a better chance compared to the time when Stamkos was just using them.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Clarkson, lol.

I said this before and I will say it again. Yes the Oilers still had Connor McDavid coming off his rookie season and Peter Chiarelli agreed to give him this horrible contract, but Milan Lucic still agreed to sign in Edmonton at the same time Stamkos went back to Tampa. No one would have predicted the Oilers making the playoffs 1 year later since they were only 1 point better than the Leafs for second last overall.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I said this before and I will say it again. Yes the Oilers still had Connor McDavid coming off his rookie season and Peter Chiarelli agreed to give him this horrible contract, but Milan Lucic still agreed to sign in Edmonton at the same time Stamkos went back to Tampa. No one would have predicted the Oilers making the playoffs 1 year later since they were only 1 point better than the Leafs for second last overall.
Different situation, as I don't think a lot of teams are offering Lucic those terms. Think the only one that came close was the Nucks, and if it were Oilers and Nucks, I would choose Oilers too BC of McDavid.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Different situation, as I don't think a lot of teams are offering Lucic those terms. Think the only one that came close was the Nucks, and if it were Oilers and Nucks, I would choose Oilers too BC of McDavid.
Yes there was different situations and playing on Connor McDavid's team was a positive. However let's remember this important fact. Toronto was last place overall with 69 points, Edmonton was second last overall with 70 points during the most recent regular season at that time.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Yes there was different situations and playing on Connor McDavid's team was a positive. However let's remember this important fact. Toronto was last place overall with 69 points, Edmonton was second last overall with 70 points during the most recent regular season at that time.

But Connor was injured and Nucks was like 5th last that year.

Anyhow, situation is vastly different now, just look at Marleau. He left Sharks to join Leafs. Prior to him, the only UFAs Leafs can attract are either bottom 6 or bottom pairing D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->