TSN: Matthews promoted Toronto at ASG: 'I’m not shy about how much I enjoy playing here'

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Do you think Tavares would want to screw over his new organization by making them spend assets on acquiring him, all so he can have an 8th year tacked onto his contract?
No I don't. I'm just saying a sign and trade is the only way possible for him to get an 8 year contract instead of a 7 year contract.

Plus how much realistically could the Islanders get knowing that they are still going to lose him for next season?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
No I don't. I'm just saying a sign and trade is the only way possible for him to get an 8 year contract instead of a 7 year contract.

Plus how much realistically could the Islanders get knowing that they are still going to lose him for next season?
I don't think the 8th year is really all that big a deal, especially when you're talking about a Canadian superstar moving to the Toronto Maple Leafs. Maybe he gets a slightly higher AAV to make up for it, but the chances are good that he'd be able to sign another contract after this one. For those worried that that 8th year would be another $10-12M season, I would imagine it would be front-loaded and the real-world dollars on the 8th year of that contract wouldn't be nearly that high. If he keeps himself in shape, he could sign a contract like we did with Marleau, and could potentially make even more money than he might've in the 8th year of a front-loaded contract.

I have no idea what the value on a sign-and-trade would be in this day and age - When's the last time we even saw one? Regardless, any meaningful asset lost would be a shame, if it's just in an effort to secure an 8th year of term.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think the 8th year is really all that big a deal, especially when you're talking about a Canadian superstar moving to the Toronto Maple Leafs. Maybe he gets a slightly higher AAV to make up for it, but the chances are good that he'd be able to sign another contract after this one. For those worried that that 8th year would be another $10-12M season, I would imagine it would be front-loaded and the real-world dollars on the 8th year of that contract wouldn't be nearly that high. If he keeps himself in shape, he could sign a contract like we did with Marleau, and could potentially make even more money than he might've in the 8th year of a front-loaded contract.

I have no idea what the value on a sign-and-trade would be in this day and age - When's the last time we even saw one? Regardless, any meaningful asset lost would be a shame, if it's just in an effort to secure an 8th year of term.
If Tavares did sign in Toronto I'm willing to bet he will get those same endorsement deals which Stamkos would have, so that alone makes up for not having an 8th year on the contract.

Reactions: IBeL13f

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
If Tavares did sign in Toronto I'm willing to bet he will get those same endorsement deals which Stamkos would have, so that alone makes up for not having an 8th year on the contract.
100%

Having said all that - I don't believe superstars have money ranked as highly as a lot of people expect. These guys already have more than they likely know what to do with, and I really do believe a lot of guys are just looking for a place they enjoy living/playing in. If Tavares wants to come here, he'll end up here.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
100%

Having said all that - I don't believe superstars have money ranked as highly as a lot of people expect. These guys already have more than they likely know what to do with, and I really do believe a lot of guys are just looking for a place they enjoy living/playing in. If Tavares wants to come here, he'll end up here.
Even if Tavares does not sign with Toronto at least it means more cap space for Matthews, Marner and Nylander.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
THat extra year is likely in the 10-12ish million dollar range, so I think it’s going to be a pretty big factor. It’s guaranteed money too - no need to worry about an injury getting in the way of that next contract.

The Leafs (or any other Team that wants him as a UFA) is going to need to compensate for that - meaning a higher AAV than what the Islanders will offer.

No, he wouldn’t expect a team to pay him the same for 7 years as the Isles would give him for 8. That’s a windfall because he’s going to make extra money in his 8th year after his 7 years are up. Yes, I understand that he can get injured and never play an 8th year, but those are the rules for signing with a new team, and he knows that going in. If he was so worried about automatic payment, he would have signed with the Isles for 8 years last summer at the first chance, before risking a career ending injury this season.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I kinda view it like this: players can't make as much money as possible and win at the same time. You end up handcuffing your team too much in a salary cap world. If you truly wanna win, you have to sacrifice a couple of million (at least) or you end up like Price. Making a boat load of money but have next to 0 chance to win anything during the duration of that contract. Price took the money over the chances at winning. But then it's hard. If a team comes to you with that kinda offer, how do you say "no"?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I kinda view it like this: players can't make as much money as possible and win at the same time. You end up handcuffing your team too much in a salary cap world. If you truly wanna win, you have to sacrifice a couple of million (at least) or you end up like Price. Making a boat load of money but have next to 0 chance to win anything during the duration of that contract. Price took the money over the chances at winning. But then it's hard. If a team comes to you with that kinda offer, how do you say "no"?
Your example about Price is why I hated the owners saying the players were making to much during the lockout. As you said if the GM offers him or any other player that amount of money and got approval from the owner to do it, why should the player say no?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I haven't seen that much "joy" for a player....Dermot scoring his first NHL goal (yea we know there will be more) and for Holl who might never score another. The team, the young guys really seem to pulling for one another. Kinda of a a result of having a lot of "homegrown guys" (yes Holl was one year with Rockford) but also having the AHL and the NHL team in the same city helps.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
At the very least it gives incentives to the Marlies players who might not get called up this season to make sure it happens next season, when they see the success the Leafs are having and how the fans enjoy it.

Yea, you're right about that. Riding those buses gotta be a little draggy at times. Good to know that you get hometown support at the rink or TV. Just guessing there are lot more scouts, GMs even NHL coaches attending games at the Ricoh centre than Iowa.
On a different note, the Raptors and their farm club 905s (twenty five miles away) seemed to doing it right too. NBA bench sitters or rehabbing players get to practice with their the 905s, to the benefit of everyone.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Your example about Price is why I hated the owners saying the players were making to much during the lockout. As you said if the GM offers him or any other player that amount of money and got approval from the owner to do it, why should the player say no?

The owners should all get together and agree not to give out boatloads of dough, :sarcasm:

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
You’d have to think that if Tavares is going to leave the Islanders to win, then Toronto would be among his top choices. If he wants the most chances to win the cup, he would look at teams already doing well, with a young core who either have yet to reach their peak, or who will remain in their primes over much of the next 7 years. When you consider that Toronto is nearly about to be as good as Tampa, but whose core is 5 years younger, that represents 5 more chances to win the cup.

Teams like Toronto, Winnipeg and Edmonton have the most attractive young cores for UFAs who want to win over the next 7 years. Luckily, our main competitors for teams with attractive young cores aren’t exactly located in attractive cities. And only one of them is Tavares’ hometown.

Of course, if he wants something other than winning, like good weather or the beach, then all bets are off.

Nashville will be a player in this as well - they are primed to make a run and have the assets to go after JT.

Their city is not too shabby either.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
McDavid was a more proven commodity in 2016 after his great rookie season, and already had a higher pedigree than Matthews.

People thought Matthews and the Leafs would eventually be good, but no one thought we’d be good this fast. And no one knew if Marner or Nylander were the real deal. Stamkos didn’t want to wait 3 years to wait for us to become a playoff team, and he still met with us (the only team he’d meet with, other than Tampa). Had Stamkos known we’d be in our position now, he probably would’ve signed with us.

I don't buy it - he used us for the drama and left us at the altar; all the Twitter likes and innuendo to get our hopes up was just wrong. Just glad JT isn't pulling that crap on us now too.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I don't buy it - he used us for the drama and left us at the altar; all the Twitter likes and innuendo to get our hopes up was just wrong. Just glad JT isn't pulling that crap on us now too.

You think he left us at the altar to sign with Tampa for less money than he would’ve gotten on the open market one day later? What is the point of that? He might as well have signed with Tampa for the same money a year earlier. It’s more likely he agonized between contender Tampa and hometown Toronto until he had to choose, and decided he didn’t want to spend 3 years rebuilding.

If you get too sensitive over Twitter likes and innuendo, that’s your own problem.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Are there any examples of sign and trade in the NHL? I know it was common in the NBA at one point, but I can't really recall it happening in hockey.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Are there any examples of sign and trade in the NHL? I know it was common in the NBA at one point, but I can't really recall it happening in hockey.
Hossa but he wasn't in on it.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I think it will be all okay if we do not get Tavares ,Doughty, and or Karlsson. Reason is developing within through draft. Watching rookies come up its very exciting for them and to watch. Glad to see players getting chances because they earned that chance. Next season my guess is team will be better then before also highly doubt in division that Detroit, Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa, and Florida will be better off. So again most likely fighting it out with Boston and Tampa. Lets say even if Rasmus Dahlin ended up going to Buffalo, Ottawa, Montreal, and or Detroit(I am really hoping heading west). Still will not be major factor depending on trades or longer period of time. So see this next few years as big chances to see how far can go in playoffs. If we get bigger name then fine if not I am happy based on development within.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

They’re so rare I’m always surprised at how often it seems to be suggested here.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
As much as I wanted Stamkos, he wasn't leaving TB and why would he. TB is a contender and he is their captain, what's can the Leafa offered him at that time beside HOPE.
JT is different as Islanders is not even close to being a contender, they are only good bc Bailey is having a career year, Barzal is good but still too soon to call him an elite player and they don't really have a pipeline of players like TB.
From a player standpoint, Leafs is way way more attractive than Islanders, something we can't say the same when Stamkos was a UFA between Leafs and TB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad