TSN: Matthews promoted Toronto at ASG: 'I’m not shy about how much I enjoy playing here'

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
UFA isn't what it was, but I wouldn't doubt that we'll be able to attract some of them because of the ability to be teammates with Matthews (believe that was a consideration for Marleau). It's also important to be able to re-sign enough of your own core players prior to/when they hit that UFA stage, so it's great to "officially" know that such an important player really enjoys being a Leaf.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
UFA isn't what it was, but I wouldn't doubt that we'll be able to attract some of them because of the ability to be teammates with Matthews (believe that was a consideration for Marleau). It's also important to be able to re-sign enough of your own core players prior to/when they hit that UFA stage, so it's great to "officially" know that such an important player really enjoys being a Leaf.
Besides Matthews possibly being a reason why Marleau signed in Toronto, I think some credit also goes to his relationship with Babcock to when he played for him at the 2010 and 2014 Olympics. Since Babcock is well respected that is another plus for the Leafs and future UFA's. Remember the dark days when Ron Wilson was the Leafs coach and voted the most hated in that players poll, how times have changed.

Reactions: OddyOh and Buds17

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Reporter "What you said during the all star game, must fill you and your online click baiters with some kind of overwhelming joy! How deep were you able to get in terms of trade/free agency negotiations???"

Auston Matthews "Move along sir.."

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Thought this was hilarious:

Maple Leafs' Matthews tried to recruit Kings' Doughty during All-Star Game

“I recruited him a little bit. He didn’t bite,” Matthews said. “I said: ‘Hey, how’s it going?’ He said: ‘Good.’ I said, ‘Are you coming to Toronto?’ He just laughed and skated away.”

How this isn't mild tampering in some form is puzzling, but makes for an amusing read about the informal recruiting all players do at the ASG.

Reactions: Tlo1

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
All Star Game.

OEL: 'How are you Austin?'
AM: 'Not bad.'
OEL: 'Want to come home and join me with the Yokes?'
AM smiled and skated away.
OEL: 'Dude, I am kidding, I am planning to play with you and Willie in TO as soon as next year.'
MCDavid heard that and a drop of tears came out of his eye.
JT: 'Haha, I will be playing with them after this summer.'
Price: 'You guys are so lucky, I am stuck for another 8 yrs.'
McDavid: 'I know how you feel.'
Stamkos: 'I missed my chance.'

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Unfortunately, he probably is. Others were suggesting this too. People really need to understand context but with all the social media now its gone right out the window.
I know there was no tampering involved with this however prior to Brad Richards signing that 9 year, $60 million contract with the Rangers on July 2, 2011 when he was the #1 UFA that year, no one was surprised because of his relationship with John Tortorella. My point is for months everyone said that is what will happen and no one claimed there was any tampering because of Tortorella.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Thought this was hilarious:
Maple Leafs' Matthews tried to recruit Kings' Doughty during All-Star Game
How this isn't mild tampering in some form is puzzling, but makes for an amusing read about the informal recruiting all players do at the ASG.
Not puzzling at all.

I know there was no tampering involved with this however prior to Brad Richards signing that 9 year, $60 million contract with the Rangers on July 2, 2011 when he was the #1 UFA that year, no one was surprised because of his relationship with John Tortorella. My point is for months everyone said that is what will happen and no one claimed there was any tampering because of Tortorella.
They would have to have proof that Tortorella contacted Richards about playing in NY for it to be tampering.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
They would have to have proof that Tortorella contacted Richards about playing in NY for it to be tampering.
I realize that. I'm just saying how Richards going to the Rangers was reported for months and it came back to his relationship because of Tortorella. However if someone really wanted to that's an example where they claimed how both spoke in advance about it happening.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I realize that. I'm just saying how Richards going to the Rangers was reported for months and it came back to his relationship because of Tortorella. However if someone really wanted to that's an example where they claimed how both spoke in advance about it happening.
Marleau came here because of Babcock.
Players will always follow Coaches they like.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Marleau came here because of Babcock.
Players will always follow Coaches they like.
That's absolutely true. However the difference is no one thought it would happen until July 1, 2017 when it was reported the Leafs were interested in him. It was talked about for months that the Rangers would want Brad Richards.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
That's absolutely true. However the difference is no one thought it would happen until July 1, 2017 when it was reported the Leafs were interested in him. It was talked about for months that the Rangers would want Brad Richards.
Could be because Marleau was a Shark for 20 year, no one expected him to leave.
Everyone knew Richards was going somewhere, he was rumoured to be a Leaf as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad