Confirmed with Link: Matthews new deal Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Marleau really doesn't do anything on his wing. It is not about needing someone to play with Matthews but more to do with having someone who can play with Matthews.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
So we need to spend millions on a big skilled tough winger to make our $11.634 Million Dollar Man effective?
Every player needs a complimentary player beside them; even McDavid is proving he can't do it all on his own.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
So we need to spend millions on a big skilled tough winger to make our $11.634 Million Dollar Man effective?
Well.
Millions.
I guess so.
Do you want to see him play to his full potential?
He clearly dislikes traffic.
Read Captains ( Leafs ) and see what Sakic had to say about having Wendel on his wing.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Marleau really doesn't do anything on his wing. It is not about needing someone to play with Matthews but more to do with having someone who can play with Matthews.

Matthews doesn't look like an easy player to play with. They should throw Nylander back on his wing and let them pick up where they were at before.

Reactions: saffronleaf

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
At this point I'd rather trade Matthews for a considerable haul while he still has some semblance of value left and sign a real difference maker like Panarin or Stone who would actually be worth their contract and play hard in the playoffs. Matthews playing like this in the regular season isn't worth even $7mil, playing like this in the playoffs and he's worthless to the ultimate goal.
But it won't happen, too much pride, ego and ignorance at work.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
He can score 100 points every year regardless who is on his line.
McDavid is in a class all on his own, but again can't do everything himself - a lot of his points are tied to Draisaitl. Add in that McDavid also plays 4 more minutes per game than Matthews; Matthews plays the 3rd most minutes out of the Leafs forward group fwiw. Matthews has been averaging a point per game the last two seasons (worth noting he's also second in goals after OV), and people tend to forget that prior to the injury was leading the league in points per game. Admittedly, Matthews goes through dry spells every year, but IMO it's pretty clear that Babcock isn't using Matthews properly this year, and these last few games it looks like he's fighting something. It is what it is I suppose - overreaction to the new deal, just like there was with Nylander.

Lexicon

Dec 7, 2006
No clue
End of the day, this is a bad deal. Matthew's hasnt even been the best player on the Leafs this year, yet alone the league (where hes paid as if hes the second best). Everyone can pull out whatever statistic they want, but until Matthews pulls out a 100 point season from his belt, this will be a bad deal.

Reactions: Hollywood North

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
His skill level is elite, but he needs to be more engaged on a consistent basis to earn his salary.

Reactions: Erdinger

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I would make the argument that Matthews has to refine his game and mature as a two way presence, because there's a ton of bad habits I notice creeping into his game. The more he scores those highlight reel snipes the more he forces things in traffic, doesn't utilize teammates well and relies on those stick checking flybys, but I wouldn't let the AAV ruin your enjoyment of him blossoming as an elite player in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mar 26, 2010
I would make the argument that Matthews has to refine his game and mature as a two way presence, because there's a ton of bad habits I notice creeping into his game. The more he scores those highlight reel snipes the more he forces things in traffic, doesn't utilize teammates well and relies on those stick checking flybys, but I wouldn't let the AAV ruin your enjoyment of him blossoming as an elite player in the game.
Well I hope he does become elite. He looks below average now. I would rather see Kapanen, AJ,Nylander ect... on the ice now.

I will be honest, very disappointed in #34.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
i agree , Shanny always looked out for himself as has Babs so i don't know why anyone would believe the players should now take one for the team when no one else has
Yeah.
Way less character now.
Again.
See how Wendel handled the trade to Quebec.
Everyone who got drafted by or dealt to Quebec demanded a raise to compensate for taxes.
Can you imagine these guys taking less because it may be the proper thing to do?
Me neither.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Matthews doesn't look like an easy player to play with. They should throw Nylander back on his wing and let them pick up where they were at before.
I don’t think that’s the case since Hyman and Willie and even Brown all had great seasons with him. I really think it is Marleau since if he is skating, he created room for others. Really think it is time to rest him a bit more than he likes

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
End of the day, this is a bad deal. Matthew's hasnt even been the best player on the Leafs this year, yet alone the league (where hes paid as if hes the second best). Everyone can pull out whatever statistic they want, but until Matthews pulls out a 100 point season from his belt, this will be a bad deal.
Tavares is paid as the 3rd best in terms of AAV, and I'm pretty sure he hasn't hit 100 points either. Just saying...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad