TSN: Matthews minor surgical procedure

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
His injuries during his 3 seasons have all been upper body.

The only reported surgery I can find is the one he had done after his broken femur in 2013.

It's probably a schedule proceedure.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Hopefully, this hardware, was holding him back. :)

He's now free to soar like an eagle!

Yes, I saw what I did there. ;)

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
It was his broken femur from his season with USNDP. Likely to remove screws or metal inserts from that surgery. Has nothing to do with his recent incidents.

Reactions: TheLeafsBro

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Does anyone know what the injury was from 2014?
Per The Score's report "Matthews suffered a broken femur from a knee-on-knee collision while playing for the USA Hockey U17 National Team" which required surgery. So I assume it was some sort of plate or screws being removed.

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
Must have been causing him an issue. I have plates and screws in me and the surgeons always tell me "We will only take it out if it starts to cause discomfort or an issue". But who knows. I've had mine for over 8 years.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Does anyone know what the injury was from 2014?
5 things you likely don't know about Auston Matthews
3. A broken femur sustained as a member of USA Hockey's Under-17 National Team Development Program provided valuable lessons this season when he was injured with Zurich in Switzerland.

Matthews broke his femur in his second game with the U-17 NTDP after a knee-on-knee collision on Sept. 14, 2013. He returned to the lineup Dec. 6, 2013, and finished with 12 goals and 33 points in 24 games; he had 12 goals and 17 points in 20 games for the U-18 NTDP later that season. Matthews sustained a back injury this season in Zurich and missed six games, but he knew what needed to be done after going through the previous injury with the USNTDP.

Matthews: "The injury with the U-17's was a little more serious since I needed surgery. Obviously, that wasn't the best time in my life. I was just beginning my career with the NTDP in Ann Arbor (Mich.), and that happened. I think it made me stronger mentally and stronger as a person. When I was injured this year in Zurich, it was tough, but just going through what I did at the NTDP, and knowing how to handle it, was important. I did whatever I could do for my back through rehabilitation. I was motivated to get back and start playing again. The most important thing was listening to the doctors and doing whatever I could do within the rules, whether it was going out and shooting on your own or sitting down, stick-handling and doing whatever you can to keep sane."

Reactions: OddyOh

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
It’s weird the Leafs even issued a release about this.

Information that evokes empathy - especially during a time of confusion and duress, like the one the club is going through at the moment - does wonders for impression management.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
It’s weird the Leafs even issued a release about this.
They tryin to uh, take the presha off of the people of the organization. Making an illusion behind the wizard of oz behind the curtain that some of our peeps was treal injured all along and all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad