Matthews Match-Up Strategy in Games 3/4

How would you deploy Matthews vs. the Bruins in Toronto?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Babcock has been using Matthews against Bergeron so far and I don't expect that to change. It would be nice, however, if he would stop throwing his lines into the meat grinder after keeping them so static all year. Throwing players who never, ever play together on a line together when you're down is not how you come back. If one period is enough to cause you to panic and maniacally switch up your lines/pairings, while 82 games wasn't, you're not an NHL calibre coach.

BrendanGallagher11

Sep 18, 2013
Montreal
Get him away from Bergeron
They're feasting on his shitty depth line

Only Matthews is a first line player

Voted away from Bergeron and pure offense

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The thing about the playoffs is that you don't have time to ask why something isn't working.

You change it, or you're out.

You can't play your way out of a slump. You can't give your goalie another start to see if he fixes himself.

You change, you adapt, or you're out.

Whatever you were trying in Games 1 and 2, try something else.

Get Matthews away. Sit some guys. Put in some goons. Do something.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Two guys that could never cover the ice the way Bergeron does wasting their time and taking themselves out of position while trying to, I hope so.
meh they'd find him eventually. I mean if the Bruins are gonna target guys why can't the leafs?

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
Babcock needs to go oldschool and go best vs best. Trying to get to fancy with the lines means that the Krejci or Bergeron line are going to get juicy zone starts or match ups. That's a disaster.

Kadri screwed his coach buy getting his best defensive center suspended for 3 games.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Well seeing how Bergeron and co have absolutely schooled him I'd say get him away from them

Schooled him? he’s leading the series in shots. I’d keep him against Bergeron and replace Nylander with Kapanen while bring Hyman back up.

Won’t f***ing matter anyway as long as our D (apart from Dermott) is playing soft and stupid.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I'm more talking about playing with at least a 3-goal lead for close to 50 minutes of the game. Bruins capitalized on their opportunities/got some bounces to go up by 3 or 4 to begin with, but after that, it completely changes the flow of the game.
Cassidy also cut Bergy’s ES toi back once they got that lead. I’m not sure Matthew’s would have gotten that much opportunity if Cassidy was more about line matching.

I think Babcock needs to mostly play him against Bergy, but toss him out there at the right moments for advantage against the Bruins bottom 6. Icings, offensive zone starts etc.

Special teams are also making a difference. Bruins PP has been on and Leafs PK off. Makes it harder to take risks if the result is a Leafs penalty.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I agree. I watch the games. Imnnot just looking at stats only.

Toronto has a lot of work ahead, but goaltending is killing them more than any bad play on their part. Especially in game 2.

I think past matthews its more concerning that marleau is 2nd in 5v5 toi. Dude is 38. Toronto didnt do enough on the roster to make a real run.
I don’t think it’s really the goaltending. I think it’s bad defense.

Almost every goal by Boston last night featured a player who was given free reign in front of the goal. Defense has to keep opposition out of those areas, and the Leafs weren’t. They are leaving their goaltender exposed.

Sure, you want your goalie to make the big saves when needed but you can’t expect him to steal them all. Anderson did not have a good start but the defense was worse than Swiss cheese and in Pasta’s last goal nobody even touched him. You gotta make players pay (legally in those areas).

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Schooled him? he’s leading the series in shots. I’d keep him against Bergeron and replace Nylander with Kapanen while bring Hyman back up.

Won’t ****ing matter anyway as long as our D (apart from Dermott) is playing soft and stupid.
Perimter shots yeah that's impressive, love his Ovi checking on Pasta's last goal. Babcock is out coached and over rated for 8 million bucks. Datysuk and Lindstrom made him look good, what is his record lately 8 wins in what 19 games = average at best

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
Bergeron is flat out taking Matthews to school.

He cannot match head to head with Bergy, Babs needs to shelter Matthews as much as possible

Reactions: DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Won’t ****ing matter anyway as long as our D (apart from Dermott) is playing soft and stupid.
whoopdeedo? goals are 12-4 in 2 games with Bergys line massing 20 pts. who cares about a bunch of perimeter shots that have lead to nothing. the Bergeron line has been men amongs boys against the top 2 lines for TOR.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Not bad overall imo. The high danger chances are no good, but id suspect babcock could hard match him.

Maybe less so without kadri. Hard to say.

Where did those numbers come from?
The web site is called Natural Stattrick

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Need to shelter the kid, he’s getting dominated by Bruins top line. AM is not going to score with his shot from the perimeter. First two games he’s barely been noticeable out there. Next two games Babs has all the advantages on his side at home with fans and last change.....make the best of it and shelter him.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Boston have good players that can play hockey and target guys, Leafs have Martin who cannot play hockey to target guys. That's the difference.
if they're gonna get suspended I'd rather have a player that we don't rely on. although apparently you don't get suspended for it.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
If the Bruins get Riley Nash back for the next game, I would probably shoot to line him up vs the Krejci line. I would try bozak vs Bergeron and use Hyman and Brown as the wings. If Riley does not come back I would def put himvs Accairi and Backes. I'd also keep him away from 33/73z

Problem is the Bruins defensive strength down the middle with 37/46/20/52 is among the best in the league and not an ideal matchup for anyone.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
It’s a bit unfair to expect him to match up against Bergeron and produce offense. The problem is if you avoid Bergeron line they will feed even more on the next group.

Pretty difficult position.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
if they're gonna get suspended I'd rather have a player that we don't rely on. although apparently you don't get suspended for it.

If you think the Bruins deserve a suspension for anything in this series i suggest you stop watching Hockey and start getting into curling since this sport obviously is too physical for you.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
With Kadri suspended, I don't know who I would trust against Bergeron outside of Matthews.

My preference:
Marleau-Matthews-Hyman (Bergeron Match-up)
Johnsson-Nylander-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Moore/Martin/Leivo-Plekenec-Kapanen

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Babcock probably should try to get him on vs. the Krejci line. That's a mismatch in their favor. Don't think they have the depth to match the Bruins, so they need to pray the Bergeron line doesn't murder them too bad and that they can take advantage of Matthews/Marner vs. Krejci/Debrusk to put goals on the board in their favor.

I don't see this going past 5 games though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->