Matthews/Laine vs Ovechkin/Malkin

Which top 1 & 2 draft combos will have more combined career goals?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Hard to vote against the best goal scorer ever here.....

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Ovechkin and Malkin were both 20 when they entered the League. Before turning 20 Matthews and Laine had a combined 120 career goal head start. And when you factor in that Malkin will be the worst goal scorer out of these 4 guys, it will be Matthews and Laine with more goals quite easily!

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Ovechkin has been too consistently dominant in a higher scoring era to vote against. Although Matthews & Laine are both better goal scorers than Malkin.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Ovechkin will end up tiers above anyone else here and Malkin propably won't end up far behind either of those 2 (if any) so this won't be close.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
At this point I think OV is going to hit closer to 800 than 750. Geno is probably 500-550 guy at the very least. I could see them combining anywhere from 1250 to 1350 goals. Just don't see Laine and Matthews both as future 600+ scorers.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Looks like Matthews and Laine get no respect in this thread. Yeah Ovechkin is great, but Malkin isn't anything special when it comes to scoring goals. Dude has only had 3 good goal scoring seasons after 12 seasons in the NHL.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Looks like Matthews and Laine get no respect in this thread. Yeah Ovechkin is great, but Malkin isn't anything special when it comes to scoring goals. Dude has only had 3 good goal scoring seasons after 12 seasons in the NHL.

Geno is one of the better scorers of his generation.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You’re massively overrating Laine and Matthews if you think Malkin isn’t anything special.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Geno is one of the better scorers of his generation.
Well besides Ovechkin, it's been a terrible generation of goal scorers. After his first 2 seasons in the League Malkin was 6th in goals while only missing 4 games. Laine and Matthews were 2nd and 6th while being younger and both missing more time. Both Laine and Matthews are shaping up to become clearly better goal scorers than Malkin.

I mean Laine and Matthews would need to average 29 goals per season for the next 10 years to be as bad as Malkin. And then Laine would still be 2 years younger and Matthews 1 year younger than Malkin right now.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
You’re massively overrating Laine and Matthews if you think Malkin isn’t anything special.
Matthews and Laine so far hasn't scored less than 34 goals in a season. And personally I don't see either of them scoring less than 34 goals per season for the next 10 years. Malkin has managed to score less than 34 goals 8 times out of 12. Malkin has a few really good seasons but he's got way too many seasons when he's been a letdown.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Well besides Ovechkin, it's been a terrible generation of goal scorers. After his first 2 seasons in the League Malkin was 6th in goals while only missing 4 games. Laine and Matthews were 2nd and 6th while being younger and both missing more time. Both Laine and Matthews are shaping up to become clearly better goal scorers than Malkin.

I mean Laine and Matthews would need to average 29 goals per season for the next 10 years to be as bad as Malkin. And then Laine would still be 2 years younger and Matthews 1 year younger than Malkin right now.

Anything can happen and Matthews & Laine are special scorers. Both could easily pass Malkin. I just don't think it'll be by enough to offset the margin OV brings.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Matthews and Laine so far hasn't scored less than 34 goals in a season. And personally I don't see either of them scoring less than 34 goals per season for the next 10 years. Malkin has managed to score less than 34 goals 8 times out of 12. Malkin has a few really good seasons but he's got way too many seasons when he's been a letdown.
I think you’re confusing letdown with injured.
Malkin’s goals per game is excellent and the odds of either player coming close to Ovi who is still winning Rockets at his age are basically zero.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Matthews won't be a better goal scorer than Malkin? Not sure if you really believe that or just trolling?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Voted Ovechkin and Malkin for this thread because of Ovechkin obviously.

Last edited:

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Anything can happen and Matthews & Laine are special scorers. Both could easily pass Malkin. I just don't think it'll be by enough to offset the margin OV brings.
Well Matthews and Laine will most likely lose one of their best seasons to a lockout so that will keep them back a bit. And Laine's skating is another big question mark. Worst case scenario for Laine and he's pretty much done at 31-32 by becomming too slow. But that 120 goal head start will be huge if both Matthews and Laine stay in the League as long as Ovechkin and Malkin does...

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
I think you’re confusing letdown with injured.
Malkin’s goals per game is excellent and the odds of either player coming close to Ovi who is still winning Rockets at his age are basically zero.
Well we're talking about actual goals here and not goals per game. Plus Laine has a 80 goal head start on Ovechkin so there's a very good chance he could be close to Oveckins career numbers if he plays to the same age as Ovechkin does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad