Matthews, Kakko vs Laine, Hughes?

What Duo would you prefer moving forward?

• Total voters

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Pretty interesting how close this poll was.

Matthews is better than Hughes and Kakko better than Laine.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Pretty interesting how close this poll was.

Matthews is better than Hughes and Kakko better than Laine.

Sure, but Matthews is also A LOT better than Laine.

This year he's separated himself in tiers.

Last edited:

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
Haha. Laine being only ahead in the goal scoring and yet still somehow doesn't freeze up when the big games begin. Matthews hasn't been able to take his team through the first round these last three seasons (NLA & NHL x 2). Meanwhile, despite Laine playing far below his level, he was still concrete piece of his team when the Jets reached the conference finals. Of course as most of you know, in the playoffs prior to that one when he played in Tappara, he actually carried his team to the trophy. Great players don't disappear when they are expected perform at their best and that's something Matthews needs to cope with and eventually actually win something.

Also about Laine being inferior in every other aspect, oh please. His passing, creativity and playmaking are already at a higher level and while Matthews can use that agile skating of his to get past opponents and score goals, he still falls short in the hockey IQ as far as the two are concerned. Let alone the size and the 2-3 inch disadvantage. One throws hits and the other one takes hits.

I seriously wonder what kind of scoring pace Matthews would have been or would be even at the moment with aTOI being 16+ or 15+ minutes. Laine usually plays behind the puck and is often the last forward to cross the blue line, being extremely responsible. He'll be a great two-way force once he's in the prime. Matthews on the other hand is an offensive center who too has tons of work with his defence since the game isn't all about maximizing the production. He is great on his own right, but it has never been a question for me who'd be better moving forward.

Like I said Kakko has some similarities with Matthews and he's enticing prospect, but above all he's physical and not afraid to the slightest of getting his body banged up or engaging players twice his age. Still, no matter how much I love Kakko right now (and believe he actually might have what it takes to be the BPA in the next year's draft), I still wouldn't take the two over Laine and Hughes, where the latter also happens to be extremely talented prospect right now.
Fun read, this post was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad