Matthews, Kakko vs Laine, Hughes?

What Duo would you prefer moving forward?

• Total voters

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Also Laine went to a under achieving team that was already good and lucked out and drafted him.

Matthews went to a basement dweller and made them a playoff team.

Jets with or without Laine are a playoff team, you take Matthews off the leafs the last 2 years and we’re a lottery team again.

We probably need his 44 goals to get us into the playoffs. Disingenuous to say it doesn't help.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Also Laine went to a under achieving team that was already good and lucked out and drafted him.

Matthews went to a basement dweller and made them a playoff team.

Jets with or without Laine are a playoff team, you take Matthews off the leafs the last 2 years and we’re a lottery team again.
right because Matthews was the sole reason that team was a playoff team... you're gonna vehemently dismiss the contributions of Nylander, Marner, Andersen, and growth of Morgan Reilly & Nazem Kadri? From what I've read on here, apparently Nylander and Marner are elite wingers and Morgan Reilly is an elite dman, Kadri is the best 2-way C, but it's allllll Matthews :sarcasm: :confused:.... What was their record w/o Matthews again last year? It's a team sport, Matthews is not the sole reason the team turned around, it was a collective effort.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
right because Matthews was the sole reason that team was a playoff team... you're gonna vehemently dismiss the contributions of Nylander, Marner, Andersen, and growth of Morgan Reilly & Nazem Kadri? From what I've read on here, apparently Nylander and Marner are elite wingers and Morgan Reilly is an elite dman, Kadri is the best 2-way C, but it's allllll Matthews :sarcasm: :confused:.... What was their record w/o Matthews again last year? It's a team sport, Matthews is not the sole reason the team turned around, it was a collective effort.
Matthews was one of the major reasons the Leafs made the playoffs in his rookie season and chances are without him they just miss.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
There’s no drafting the wrong guy... You either get a Franchise Goalscoring Centerman or a Prodigy Goalscoring Winger. Win / Win for both teams... Tbh I prefer Laine over Matthews for the Jets but only because he is the backbone of our Power Play(Matthew just isn’t as much of a threat and as valueble to that area of special teams) with the shot he provides and the fact we don’t have any Right handed Wingers that can play Top 6 minutes behind Wheeler.
Let me ask you this. If the draft lottery had went the other way with the Jets getting 1st overall and the Leafs getting 2nd overall, would you still wanted them to select Laine over Matthews? After all you said you prefer Laine instead of him and it's easy to say now. Personally speaking when it was down to the Leafs and Jets I can honestly say I wanted them to get 1st overall and no disrespect to Laine if the Leafs had got 2nd overall it would have felt like a loss knowing they could not get Matthews.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Kakko is getting underrated here. Laine as a complementary player is as good as they come but Kakko is a possession god and a pretty damn good shooter too.
Kakko doesn't hold Laine value . It's clear at this point you're overrating him. Whichever team gets Kakko will be thrilled if he turns into Laine.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Yeah, I guess I can see where the real delusions are... not just Jets fans, the Lainiacs

Hope Matthews gets some of the soft Laine-minutes this year, so he gets a fair comparison.
Laine put up almost 50% of his points last year with the star players you think he doesn't see. PP minutes baby.

Yeah well you can hardly blame Laine for Babcock not handing more PP minutes to Matthews. Nonetheless at the end of the day Matthews spent ~1,5 minutes more time on the ice at 17-18 (haven't even checked but it's probably closer to 5 minutes this season). Yet you call points based on actual facts delusional and feel like Matthews had the lower hand? Okay pal, whatever you say. :D

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I (biased as I may be) think Matthews is a better all around player than Laine
And, controversial as it may be, and as much of a crapshoot picking predraft prospects as better, especially still this far out, I think I might currently like Kakko over Hughes!

Reactions: Ares

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I (biased as I may be) think Matthews is a better all around player than Laine
And, controversial as it may be, and as much of a crapshoot picking predraft prospects as better, especially still this far out, I think I might currently like Kakko over Hughes!

I agree in both cases.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah well you can hardly blame Laine for Babcock not handing more PP minutes to Matthews. Nonetheless at the end of the day Matthews spent ~1,5 minutes more time on the ice at 17-18 (haven't even checked but it's probably closer to 5 minutes this season). Yet you call points based on actual facts delusional and feel like Matthews had the lower hand? Okay pal, whatever you say. :D

Matthews has played...

16:53 vs. Chicago
20:20 vs. Ottawa
17:29 vs. Montreal

2 of those games going to overtime. Not nearly enough (IMO) considering how dominant he's been.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews has played...

2 of those games going to overtime. Not nearly enough (IMO) considering how dominant he's been.
Against Chicago you also have to remember there was that 4:00 penalty the Leafs killed off in the 2nd period, so that effected his ice time because he's not on the penalty kill.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
OV was a winger and that didn't stop him from being in the running for one of the best players in the league.
Laine = Matthews ass of today. Till one can pull away from the other it will remain Laine =Matthews.
And when it mattered the most .Laine 12 pts in the playoffs.Matthews had what?
And no pathetic excuses.

Laine main attribute is scoring goals. That's the one thing he may have had over Matthews. Unfortunately for him Matthews is as good at scoring, all while bringing much more to the ice.

Elite goal scorer with a well rounded game > Elite goal scorer.

That said I think this pole is a wash...

Matthews > Laine > Hughes > Kakko

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Laine main attribute is scoring goals. That's the one thing he may have had over Matthews. Unfortunately for him Matthews is as good at scoring, all while bringing much more to the ice.

Elite goal scorer with a well rounded game > Elite goal scorer.

That said I think this pole is a wash...

Matthews > Laine > Hughes > Kakko

Havent caught any games (saw buffalo a period or 2 yesterday tho) but i hear Laine is showing alot of promise wheb it comes to his 2way play so far.

Anyone can confirm?

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Havent caught any games (saw buffalo a period or 2 yesterday tho) but i hear Laine is showing alot of promise wheb it comes to his 2way play so far.

Anyone can confirm?

I would assume he's growing as a players but cant confirm.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Matthews has played...

He's played 18:14 per game where as Laine 15:41. Needless to point out the significanse. Nevermind one having an "upper hand" by clocking third line minutes with third line caliper players as was earlier debated. Geez, I've seen all sorts of arguments but in regards to this, there certainly is no leverage in favour of Laine no matter if you picked 17-18 or 18-19.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
He's played 18:14 per game where as Laine 15:41. Needless to point out the significanse. Nevermind one having an "upper hand" by clocking third line minutes with third line caliper players as was earlier debated. Geez, I've seen all sorts of arguments but in regards to this, there certainly is no leverage in favour of Laine no matter if you picked 17-18 or 18-19.

Both matthews and Laine are underused... :( id like to see both around 19-20 most games... and please tell me laine isent paired with little again...

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Just make this thread Kakko vs Hughes and get on with it. This is bait at it's finest. You know this would not lead to any discussion about the two undrafted players.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Laine and Hughes. Matthews just slightly ahead of Laine because of position imo. Could easily change in the future.
I think the gap between Hughes and Kakko is just slightly bigger.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Both matthews and Laine are underused... :( id like to see both around 19-20 most games... and please tell me laine isent paired with little again...

Yup, it's just sickening to watch the Jets right now being a huge fan of Laine. A third 15 minute game behind him now with ELL back in business. I couldn't figure out a worse way to use him and see the talent being wasted away. Just another day in Winnnipeg I suppose.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Matthews and Kakko easily. Matthews is streets ahead of Laine and I have Kakko over Hughes.

Hughes really doesn’t impress me in relation to where he’s ranked going into the draft. He’s a good prospect and will be a good NHLer but as far as number one picks go, I think he will end up being well below the standard of what I would want out of a first overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad