Matthews, Kakko vs Laine, Hughes?

What Duo would you prefer moving forward?

• Total voters

goblin3

Mar 23, 2014
Laine ~ Matthews
Hughes ~ Kakko

At this point it's a draw for me so no vote.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I believe the large gap between Matthews and Laine tips this in the favor of Matthews/Kakko.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I see it like this

Matthews > Laine no matter what.

So I guess the question is how many people prefer Hughes compared to Kakko, even though Hughes is considered the #1 prospect for the 2019 draft.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I see it like this

So I guess the question is how many people prefer Hughes compared to Kakko, even though Hughes is considered the #1 prospect for the 2019 draft.

So if Laine scores 40 more points in the same span of games this upcoming season Matthews is better “no matter what”? Not saying he will but, it’s a little bit ignorant if we are talking argument wise, you could had just stuck with Matthews > Laine(atm) if that’s your opinion.

Reactions: snowkiddin

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Matthews>Laine, then it depends on the separation b/w Hughes & Kakko. Would like to hear what's the margin between the latter 2 players and how they'd potentially compare to one another in the NHL. I know Hughes looks fantastic and is (stylistically) a Patrick Kane at C. Kakko from what I understand is a big skilled Winger who might actually be tried at C this upcoming year. Would like to hear a qualified opinion

Last edited:

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I see it like this

No matter what?o_O
Matthews 144 GP - 74 G-58 A 132 TP
Laine 155 GP- 80 G-54A 134TP All while being 7 months younger.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No matter what?o_O
Matthews 144 GP - 74 G-58 A 132 TP
Laine 155 GP- 80 G-54A 134TP All while being 7 months younger.
The fact Matthews is an elite #1 centre is a major reason why.

Also can we please stop with the Laine is 7 months younger excuse. It failed when his fans said that's why he would win the Calder, so just stop because it's pathetic that it's even brought up.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I'll go with Matthews + Kakko.

Matthews > Laine.

The other two are a wash because they've done nothing in the NHL. It's all projections.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018

Also can we please stop with the Laine is 7 months younger excuse. It failed when his fans said that's why he would win the Calder, so just stop because it's pathetic that it's even brought up.
Also Laine went to a under achieving team that was already good and lucked out and drafted him.

Matthews went to a basement dweller and made them a playoff team.

Jets with or without Laine are a playoff team, you take Matthews off the leafs the last 2 years and we’re a lottery team again.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

OV was a winger and that didn't stop him from being in the running for one of the best players in the league.
Laine = Matthews ass of today. Till one can pull away from the other it will remain Laine =Matthews.
And when it mattered the most .Laine 12 pts in the playoffs.Matthews had what?
And no pathetic excuses.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Also Laine went to a under achieving team that was already good and lucked out and drafted him.

Matthews went to a basement dweller and made them a playoff team.

Jets with or without Laine are a playoff team, you take Matthews off the leafs the last 2 years and we’re a lottery team again.
The Jets also missed the playoffs in Laine's rookie season, so saying they are playoff team with or without him is not true.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
OV was a winger and that didn't stop him from being in the running for one of the best players in the league.
Laine = Matthews ass of today. Till one can pull away from the other it will remain Laine =Matthews.
And when it mattered the most .Laine 12 pts in the playoffs.Matthews had what?
And no pathetic excuses.
I guarantee if someone was starting a franchise today and they could only pick between Matthews and Laine as their first choice, Matthews is always chosen because the fact he's an elite #1 centre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad