Matthews + Hughes vs Nylander + Dahlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Right now I think the difference between Hughes and Dahlin is bigger than the difference between Willy and Matthews.

Went with the Swedes by a hair.

• Haha
Reactions: Dylan9z9

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Dahlin might be more valuable than Matthews.

That would be very impressive but if that happens then this is no contest for the Swedes. Voted Swedes as I think the gap between Nylander and Matthews is smaller than the gap between Dahlin and Hughes.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The Swedes. Hughes just has way too much uncertainty around him, until a kid has proven himself above AAA hockey, I tend to ignore the hype when it comes to NHL potential. Due to that, I'll take the Swedes. Remember how guys like Wise was viewed just a year ago.

I think Matthews will be the most impactful player, as elite-centers tend to drive play more than any other position on the ice, and the gap between a top line elite center and a 2b/3a guy tends to be bigger than the gap between a true 1 defender and a number 4. Matthews has also already proven himself as an impact player at 19 in the NHL, while young defenders tend to take awhile to find their footing. For example, Tavares has been the better player than Hedman for a significant portion of their careers, only for Hedman to recently pass him. Same can be said for Doughty/Stamkos. That tends to make them more high-risk and long-term projections. You get more value out of forwards on their ELC's.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Dahlin might be more valuable than Matthews.

Not a chance. Dahlin is as good of a prospect as Matthews was. But, Matthews just scored 40 goals in the NHL and Dahlin has yet to start his draft campaign. You will not find a GM in the entire league that thinks that they have even similar value. Then again, I still slightly prefer the Swedes.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Matthews is the best player of the bunch but Nylander is only a hair behind him IMO. If Dahlin doesn't take a step back, it will be the Swedes.

Matthews>Nylander
Hughes<<Dahlin

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The reason this is tough is because you have 2 forwards who are both already in the NHL, with Matthews having the clear advantage over Nylander while being 2 drafts younger.

Meanwhile, Dahlin and Hughes have yet to be drafted and are relatively unproven. Dahlin obviously projects to be better and I fully expect that to be the case, but the odds of Hughes catching Dahlin are greater than the odds of Nylander catching Matthews.

So while the swedish pair has more potential, I'd take the pair with the proven 40 goal scoring 6'3 center.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The Swedes. Hughes just has way too much uncertainty around him, until a kid has proven himself above AAA hockey, I tend to ignore the hype when it comes to NHL potential. Due to that, I'll take the Swedes. Remember how guys like Wise was viewed just a year ago.

I think the poll is about Quinn Hughes, not Jack FYI.

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Potential Dahlin>Matthews>Nylander>Hughes.
Atm it is close. Gotta go with Swedes cuz Im high on Nylander

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
A lot can happen from age 16 to 18-20. Pegging Dahlin is superior to a rookie who had 40 goals in his first season, is bonkers.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I feel like the future should be taken with a grain of salt. It remains to be seen how Dahlin does next season, and whether he still is the first overall pick etc. Same for Hughes, of course.

Right now, I'd rather bet on Matthews, who's clearly a step above Nylander in both current ability as well as potential.

Dylan9z9

May 16, 2012
Rockaway, NJ
That would be very impressive but if that happens then this is no contest for the Swedes. Voted Swedes as I think the gap between Nylander and Matthews is smaller than the gap between Dahlin and Hughes.
But you see that's where you are wrong because Jack Hughes might just be the best player in the league.IMO of course .... time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad