Matthews + Hedman vs Eichel + Karlsson

Which duo?

• Matthews + Hedman

• Eichel + Karlsson

Results are only viewable after voting.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'm actually surprised at the results so far.

IMO, Matthews looks better than Eichel, and more the type you can build a winner around (not just individual point totals). So I think the gap between Matthews/Eichel is a lot bigger than the gap between Karlsson/Hedman.
it's hard to say really. I think the gap between Hedman vs Karlsson is big but so is the gap between Matthews and Eichel. I personally would give Karlsson the benefit of the doubt until Matthews can prove he's this much better than Eichel for a full year

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
There is no doubt Karlsson is a great defenseman and as a Leafs fan it pains me to say that. However the reality is Matthews is a lot better than Eichel.
Sure, I agree that he is better but I don't see the difference as being big enough to overcome the gap between Karlsson and Hedman.

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Sure, I agree that he is better but I don't see the difference as being big enough to overcome the gap between Karlsson and Hedman.

#1 dmen in the NHL vs #2 dmen
#5 C vs #15 C ?

gap is closer with the 2 dmen

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
#1 dmen in the NHL vs #2 dmen
#5 C vs #15 C ?

gap is closer with the 2 dmen

Not necessarily the difference between the #1dman in the NHL and the #2dman might still be greater than the difference between, I don't know the #5dman and the #10dman. It all depends on how good you think a certain player is. Or how good a certain player is perceived to be by the consensus for that matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: JFG

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
LOL @ people saying this isn't close

Is it close? Sure, that doesn't mean much though when one group is still obviously superior to the other.

Theres a clear answer here, the gap between Matthews and Eichel is minuscule at best, there as close as two players are in this league, while the gap between Hedman and Karlsson is very obvious. Its quite simply Karlsson-Eichel.

Do fans honestly think Matthews and Hedman would produce the way they do if they switched teams with their counterparts? Karlsson with Stamkos and Kucherov would be the scariest team since the stacked '02 wings. Eichel on the Leafs would produce just as much if not more than Matthews.

Reactions: PatrickMcC and JFG

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Is it close? Sure, that doesn't mean much though when one group is still obviously superior to the other.

Theres a clear answer here, the gap between Matthews and Eichel is minuscule at best while the gap betwen Hedman and Karlsson is large. Its quite simply Karlsson-Eichel

gap between McDavid and Draisaitl is also minuscule factoring in playoff performances

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
It pains me to say it as a Leafs fan but Matthews and Eichel's gap isn't as big as we're making it out to be. After returning for injury, Eichel scored on a torrid pace and is more of a backbone of the Sabres' scoring whereas Matthews, although important, doesn't have the same pressure. With that said, this is gonna be close...Eichel and Matthews are near equals in terms of scoring but in terms of having an overall impact on a game, Matthews wins.

As for Karlsson, the man is a machine. I was thinking that the injury would slow him down and make him seem mortal... and even after all that, he's still in conversation as amongst the league's best. Ridiculous.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Karlsson with Stamkos and Kucherov would be the scariest team since the stacked '02 wings. Eichel on the Leafs would produce just as much if not more than Matthews.

Hedman with Stamkos and Kucherov would be the scariest team since the stacked '02 wings.

Eichel would have more than 14 points on the leafs? Damn

Reactions: Garthinater

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Hedman with Stamkos and Kucherov would be the scariest team since the stacked '02 wings.

Eichel would have more than 14 points on the leafs? Damn

considering he has 11 in 11 on the lowly Buffalo Sabres, yes, its not hard to imagine he might. Keep on keeping on though dude, you clearly have a bias.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
considering he has 11 in 11 on the lowly Buffalo Sabres, yes, its not hard to imagine he might. Keep on keeping on though dude, you clearly have a bias.

how many points does Evander Kane and ROR have?

11 in 11 and 10 in 14 but yeah Eichel will score 16 points. I guess he is better than McDavid

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I prefer the Hedman style of defenseman, but Karlsson is just too good here. Eichel is close enough to Matthews.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Matthews + Hedman AINEC. Matthews is probably already the best player of the four, but even if you assume he isn't, he will be soon, and for the next 10+ years after that.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

Keep dreaming. Eichel would not get anywhere close to 20:44 of ice time on the Leafs, nor would he get the sheltered minutes he does on Buffalo (well, he might, but only because he sucks defensively compared to Auston).

Frankly, with how Babcock uses his players, it's unlikely he would even be at 11 points if he played on the Leafs.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
This one is really tough. I'll take the Matthews+Hedman duo actually. I think Matthews is a lot better than Eichel, and Hedman is a terrific player. They are both a year younger than their comparative players too so if I'm building a team that extra year is very valuable.

I'm a tad worried about Karlsson's injuries adding up at this point too. I'm sure I'm just overreacting, but I really don't like the idea of two major surgeries on a guy's feet when one of his best attributes is his skating.

Really close though: flip a coin really.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
You claim Matthews is better than Karlsson, so there really isnt anything to discuss with you.

Well, that's pretty clear. Matthews destroys Karlsson this year in every advanced stat.

If the season ended today, Matthews would be the clear cut favorite for the Selke, and that's while *also* being elite offensively.

Karlsson is better than Matthews offensively for his position, but Matthews is a *lot* better defensively.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Well, that's pretty clear. Matthews destroys Karlsson this year in every advanced stat.

If the season ended today, Matthews would be the clear cut favorite for the Selke, and that's while *also* being elite offensively.

Karlsson is better than Matthews offensively for his position, but Matthews is a *lot* better defensively.

Oh man, this gave me a good laugh.

Party Kane

Nov 7, 2013
Chicago

Ouch.
You no longer have any credibility. If you ever did that is.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013

I regret usually defending the Leafs fanbase when I see ridiculous bullshit like this.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad