Matthews for Mackinnon

Jimclar

Oct 4, 2018
If I'm Leaf, I take the trade. McKinnon and cap space (for another player) would be great for three full years, especially if Matthews might be leaving in summer of 2023.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
If I'm Leaf, I take the trade. McKinnon and cap space (for another player) would be great for three full years, especially if Matthews might be leaving in summer of 2023.

1) Why on earth would Matthews leave?

2) Who looks as far ahead as 2023 in fantasy hockey? Couple of years tops, since who knows if the league will even still exist by then.

Reactions: RonTextall

geofff

Aug 12, 2014
www.makeitsostudios.com
Matthews got hurt the other day and is out for a minimum of 4 weeks. This is MacKinnon easily if you plan on contending this year. Looking a few years ahead, they are both among the very best, though MacKinnon has the advantage in shots and a slight advantage in hits.

Saucecheese92

Oct 29, 2017
Only looking at this from a strictly fantasy puprose obviously. I love Matthews but his injuries have been turning me off of him a little bit. Mackinnon continues to light it up as well, just wondering if he is the safer play long-term....although I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Any other thoughts?

Elitersson

Unregistered User
Feb 22, 2016
Only looking at this from a strictly fantasy puprose obviously. I love Matthews but his injuries have been turning me off of him a little bit. Mackinnon continues to light it up as well, just wondering if he is the safer play long-term....although I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Any other thoughts?
It's close. I would take Matthews without the injury concerns, but with his 2nd shoulder injury now and knowing how those can impact players long-term I would probably go with Mackinnon.

The NHL Rant

Mar 7, 2007
Couple of years tops, since who knows if the league will even still exist by then.

I'd agree that for most limited keeper leagues (dynasty leagues an exception) you should look two years down the road tops. But I have absolutely no concern about the NHL evening existing until my old age! Do you know something I don't? Genuinely curious.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
I'd agree that for most limited keeper leagues (dynasty leagues an exception) you should look two years down the road tops. But I have absolutely no concern about the NHL evening existing until my old age! Do you know something I don't? Genuinely curious.

The fantasy league, not the actual NHL. Thought that would have been obvious ;)

Jimclar

Oct 4, 2018

Players have options. After this year, Matthews is under Leafs control for four years. You might sign long term....but maybe not. It might be just Leaf fan optimism that he signs a 7 or 8 year extension.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

Players have options. After this year, Matthews is under Leafs control for four years. You might sign long term....but maybe not. It might be just Leaf fan optimism that he signs a 7 or 8 year extension./
I have a hard time believing Matthews doesn't sign a 8 year, 10+ million extension this coming summer.

For Matthews to not sign a long term contract, especially if there are injury concerns in favour of a shorter term deal to take him to UFA on the off chance he might get better offers in 4 years time is rather ridiculous. His agent will highly recommend he cash in on the long term, guaranteed pay day.

Relative to the OP, the only way I see MacKinnon as the absolute best option is if there is some form of salary cap. Otherwise, MacKinnon has hit his prime and Matthews is getting there - depending on the other keepers and if you're in a win now window vs a retool/rebuild that's going to be the tipping point for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->