Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Matthews extended (5 years, $11.63M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Arizona's 5-year plan starts today

Dubas' 5-year plan...

InferiorAnchoredCattle-max-1mb.gif

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
What is everyone talking about saying that this takes him to UFA?

I thought UFA was after his 3rd contract for hitting age 27.

This contract does neither of those.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Yea it's the term that's crazy. 11.634 is a little high for him maybe, but 5 years? He's going to be UFA at 26 and will get the maximum from somebody.

*27 since his birthday is in september, but yeah.

I'd rather overpay stars than middling players

Reactions: LeHab

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
can someone please explain why any of this matters other than lockout protection?
Teams hate giving out bonuses because its a huge chunk of cash at once. When they do agree to give bonuses in a contract they expect a discount. Toronto gave both bonuses and overpaid on Both Matthews and Nylanders contract.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I hope with all my heart and soul, that some reporter has the balls to ask Dubas "WTF are you comparing this to"

Gutless

You're almost as angry as the Leaf haters waking up to the fact that the Leafs core, in all liklihood, will be in place for the next 5 years. Perhaps take a breath.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Damn. That is actually worse for the leafs than I was expecting. Add the fact he can bolt for UFA/ get an enormous 3rd contract as fast as possible, as well as the fact he will be needing a raise before JT's contract is up is a double slap in the face.

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
Nylander sitting out + Offer Sheet talk gave Matthews all the leverage here. I expected this to be bad for the Leafs and it is.

Reactions: dukeofjive

member 157595

In a sea of over-reaction, this post is a beacon of sanity. The Leafs time is now and they should do what it takes to win for the next 5 years and worry about roster issues after that.

Plus, it's not like they are going to have an issue moving guys if a cap crunch ever comes.

My gripe isn't the 5 years in itself, it's that doing a shorter contract should bring along a palatable AAV.

This one certainly does not. It's a bad deal and a weak negotiation by Dubas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->