Matthews at 11.6M vs Point at 10.75M vs Marner at 10M

Pick one for your team

• Total voters

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Matthews and then Marner for sure. Point isn't on the level of the other 2
Total BS.

Point is the best player here. Elite at both ends, non stop motor, has produced huge points wherever he has played his entire career. I realize how much playing with Kucherov etc. helps, but he drives so much for that team and consistently tilts the ice in their favour. He was like that in juniors and is still doing it in the NHL and he's a big reason they are so far ahead in the standings.

Reactions: Snowman

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Total BS.

Point is the best player here. Elite at both ends, non stop motor, has produced huge points wherever he has played his entire career. I realize how much playing with Kucherov etc. helps, but he drives so much for that team and consistently tilts the ice in their favour. He was like that in juniors and is still doing it in the NHL and he's a big reason they are so far ahead in the standings.

There's no way he's better than Matthews. Matthews is a beast.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Marner had more points than Point in his first 2 seasons with less TOI and worse linemates. And he's not that far off this year.

Not all players develop at the same rate, but I'm mainly talking Matthews. The best offensive player here is arguable, but Point's defense is Selke level, which I don't think is getting enough credit here. Even if Marner or Matthews could score, say, 10 points more, and it's looking like neither of them are gonna do that, Point's defense would more than make up the difference. I don't think people are taking that into account enough. Offense is only one factor here. Point might even be the best at that, but if he's not, his D is the best by a pretty solid margin. He's a shutdown C.

Reactions: Snowman and Rasmi

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Not all players develop at the same rate, but I'm mainly talking Matthews. The best offensive player here is arguable, but Point's defense is Selke level, which I don't think is getting enough credit here. Even if Marner or Matthews could score, say, 10 points more, and it's looking like neither of them are gonna do that, Point's defense would more than make up the difference. I don't think people are taking that into account enough. Offense is only one factor here. Point might even be the best at that, but if he's not, his D is the best by a pretty solid margin. He's a shutdown C.

I am not a fan of the "Overall" argument at all. That's how Toews became known as being better than Crosby.
Matthews is a true #1 franchise stud you build a team around. And all the stats tell you that.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
There's no way he's better than Matthews. Matthews is a beast.
Sorry but no you're being biased. Literally the only area Matthews is clearly better in is his shot.

I am not a fan of the "Overall" argument at all. That's how Toews became known as being better than Crosby.
Matthews is a true #1 franchise stud you build a team around. And all the stats tell you that.
Except the difference between Toews and Crosby offensively was always way bigger than the gap between Point and Matthews has been.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Sorry but no you're being biased. Literally the only area Matthews is clearly better in is his shot.

So wait, Auston Matthews is not close to Point? LOL. Are people serious? Matthews clearly has better career stats and is only behind Point this year due to injury.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Toews's offense wasn't close to Crosby's. Point's offense might be the best here. It might not, but if it's not, the gap is tiny. Meanwhile he's a genuine shutdown C. And he's about to score more points than either of the other two have. He's surpassed Matthews' best in 56 games.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Toews's offense wasn't close to Crosby's. Point's offense might be the best here. It might not, but if it's not, the gap is tiny. Meanwhile he's a genuine shutdown C. And he's about to score more points than either of the other two have. He's surpassed Matthews' best in 56 games.

Don't you think this is a little quick to judge? Matthews PPG this year is pretty close and one of the best in the NHL. Matthews has a better career PPG, and only McDavid is better 5 on 5 NHl producer.

And Point being 5 points ahead of Marner means he's better? This is the 1st time he' ever been ahead of Marner in his career and it's 5 points.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
So wait, Auston Matthews is not close to Point? LOL. Are people serious? Matthews clearly has better career stats and is only behind Point this year due to injury.
It's not all about points. Watch the games, Point is as impactful on a shift to shift basis as anyone in the league.

And no, he's not only behind him due to injury. Matthews PPG this year is 1.19, Point is at 1.28.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It's not all about points. Watch the games, Point is as impactful on a shift to shift basis as anyone in the league.

And no, he's not only behind him due to injury. Matthews PPG this year is 1.19, Point is at 1.28.
Matthews is an absolute dominant centre in every way. Maybe watch him more.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Don't you think this is a little quick to judge? Matthews PPG this year is pretty close and one of the best in the NHL. Matthews has a better career PPG, and only McDavid is better 5 on 5 NHl producer.

And Point being 5 points ahead of Marner means he's better? This is the 1st time he' ever been ahead of Marner in his career and it's 5 points.

Point didn't develop at the same rate, which is why he was selected in the 3rd round. It's not like teams passed on him because he was playing Franchise C hockey. He's developed into this. Matthews and Marner both came to the NHL much closer to a finished product.

He's ahead of Marner by 5 points. He's also ahead of him by 13 goals. And he's a shutdown C who annihilated the Bergeron line in last year's playoffs.

I think it's pretty close between the three, and realistically we need more time to judge, because player development is not parallel. But there's a pretty good argument to be made that Point is the best of the three here, as of this moment. The scoring is arguable, but they're all close. The D isn't really arguable at all, and the gap is significant.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Matthews is an absolute dominant centre in every way. Maybe watch him more.
I watch him a lot. It's not a shot, I would easily say Point is better than Eichel at this point too. He's a total stud and you're underselling him. Did you not see him owning the Bergeron line in the playoffs after that line ran all over Matthews?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I watch him a lot. It's not a shot, I would easily say Point is better than Eichel at this point too. He's a total stud and you're underselling him. Did you not see him owning the Bergeron line in the playoffs after that line ran all over Matthews?

If you crunch the numbers, it does say Matthews has been better. This is recency bias. I am not a fan of going by a small sample size. I told people that on here who were judging Nylander after 10 games.

How Auston Matthews is evolving as a generational goal scorer - Sportsnet.ca

despite missing 20 games last season and 14 this season, he’s scored the sixth-most goals in the NHL since he came into the league with 97.

Matthews also has the second-most even strength goals in that time with 76 behind only Connor McDavid’s 84, the second-most goals per game played with 0.53 behind Alex Ovechkin’s 0.55, and the most goals per 60 minutes played at 1.78, a hair above Patrick Laine’s 1.76.

Matthews specifically appears to be the best 5-on-5 goal scorer we’ve seen in the NHL since Ovechkin’s prime years,

Also some nice stats Matthews has been putting up... Since 2016, players with 50+ games or more, he leads the league in G/60 (0.532) 2nd in ESG (77), 8th in ESP/60 (2.787). The list goes on. He is definitely one of the most dangerous players in the NHL on the ice

Last edited:

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
If you crunch the numbers, it does say Matthews has been better. This is recency bias. I am not a fan of going by a small sample size. I told people that on here who were judging Nylander after 10 games.
What do you mean by "crunch the numbers"? So vague.

Seems to me that you aren't all that familiar with Point and are simply in disbelief that he could be better than your golden boy ;)

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
What do you mean by "crunch the numbers"? So vague.

Seems to me that you aren't all that familiar with Point and are simply in disbelief that he could be better than your golden boy ;)

I just think you and others are rushing this. Matthews plays with crappy wingers, gets rather mediocre TOI, and is basically the second best per 60 NHl producer behind McDavid.

I don't think you are aware how dominant he is, and how good his numbers are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->