Matthews at 11.6M vs Point at 10.75M vs Marner at 10M

Pick one for your team

• Total voters

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Matthews would be an elite game breaking talent who would be a franchise centre for any team, I can’t imagine Marner or Point would do as well in a different situation. Matthews easily for me.
Marner has been significant better, more consistent and more dependable than Matthews had for around a full calander year right now.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Like I said before I would not be surprised to see someone like Kadri get traded.

Trading a guy on a great contract would only compound the situation IMO.

One of the big 4 would be better for the team long term if they really want to win a SC.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Marner has been significant better, more consistent and more dependable than Matthews had for around a full calander year right now.

While true, I don’t think he would excel as much as he does if he were in a different system as the guy with less talent around him. Where as Matthews for example could probably score 40+ on the 2015 Sabres.

Reactions: koyvoo

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
I'm rolling the dice on Matthews. He's easily more dominant than the other two when he's on his game (freakish 6'3 goal scoring center with a sound two-way game), he just really needs to stay healthy and somewhat more consistent... the two things missing from his resume that may have landed him even closer to McDavid money and term.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
What would you consider a discount for Marner to be on his next contract. If he signed for an AAV of $10 million or $10.5 million, it's still more than Kucherov is getting in Tampa Bay. So he doesn't need to be making the exact AAV that Matthews will be getting next season.

$10-10.5 is actually not more than Kucherov considering Ontario is the 2nd highest taxed province in Canada, one of the highest in NA and Tampa has the lowest. It's actually not close at all. And that doesn't even consider the fact Kuch said he took a slight discount to stay in Tampa. Then you consider the cap rising and salary structure being turned over via the Matthews contract (basically the new age of NHL player power, using leverage and getting the most $$$ possible similar to the NBA), this would signal that anything less than $11m is a discount.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
$10-10.5 is actually not more than Kucherov considering Ontario is the 2nd highest taxed province in Canada, one of the highest in NA and Tampa has the lowest. It's actually not close at all. Also, when you consider the cap rising and salary structure being turned over via the Matthews contract, this would signal that anything less than $11m is a discount.
If you forget about the tax situation if Marner gets $10 million or $10.5 million AAV it's still more than the $9.5 million AAV Kucherov signed for.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Why would you forget the tax situation? That makes absolutely 0 sense.
This is just a guess but let's say Dubas wanted to offer Marner $9.5 million and tells him it's what Kucherov signed for as a comparable. Do you think Dubas cares about the no state tax advantage the Lightning can use, because he see's the $9.5 million that Kucherov agreed to.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
This is just a guess but let's say Dubas wanted to offer Marner $9.5 million and tells him it's what Kucherov signed for as a comparable. Do you think Dubas cares about the no state tax advantage the Lightning can use, because he see's the $9.5 million that Kucherov agreed to.

Do you think the people that negotiate contracts are just regular HF people like you? Because I can guarantee you that Marner's agent is a lawyer who is well versed in getting his client the best deal possible which 100% would include the fact that Kucherov's 9.5m is not a comparable at all since he pays close to 20% less in taxes. His agent will bring the actual after-tax take home pay to the table which would put Marner closer to $11m all things considered. Dubas would either be ignorant or just plain dumb to just say "I don't care about the realities of the situation, I just care about the number that I have to convince the Toronto media/fans who can't spend 2 minutes and learn about simple math". That sort of ploy will make Marner actually consider an offer sheet because I truly believe he wants to stay a Leaf.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Do you think the people that negotiate contracts are just regular HF people like you? Because I can guarantee you that Marner's agent is a lawyer who is well versed in getting his client the best deal possible which 100% would include the fact that Kucherov's 9.5m is not a comparable at all since he pays close to 20% less in taxes. His agent will bring the actual after-tax take home pay to the table which would put Marner closer to $11m all things considered. Dubas would either be ignorant or just plain dumb to just say "I don't care about the realities of the situation, I just care about the number that I have to convince the Toronto media/fans who can't spend 2 minutes and learn about simple math". That sort of ploy will make Marner actually consider an offer sheet because I truly believe he wants to stay a Leaf.
So Marner can also get a huge signing bonus which Dubas gave to Tavares and Matthews. Plus there are also the endorsements Marner makes which can make up for the no state tax advantage players from the Lightning have.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Funny how people assume Point is takings some discount. Let's see if his agent agrees.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
BTW, people are really off about "State Taxes". Matthews gets 15% taxes taken off despite playing in Toronto. This is due to virtually all of his $ being signing bonuses and not salary.
It drives me nuts people talk about taxes and never know the numbers. You get taxed differently from signing bonuses to salary.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Funny how people assume Point is takings some discount. Let's see if his agent agrees.
I wonder with Steve Yzerman no longer being the Lightning GM if Point will take a discount the way Stamkos and Kucherov did. I always got the sense he was the driving force behind that and it was used as a way for them to sign John Tavares. I know others mention the no state tax but I wouldn't call an $8.5 million AAV for Stamkos and a $9.5 million AAV for Kucherov as discount.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I wonder with Steve Yzerman no longer being the Lightning GM if Point will take a discount the way Stamkos and Kucherov did. I always got the sense he was the driving force behind that and it was used as a way for them to sign John Tavares. I know others mention the no state tax but I wouldn't call an $8.5 million AAV for Stamkos and a $9.5 million AAV for Kucherov as discount.
Kucherov is a big discount.

He is a better player than matthews and makes 2m+ less than him.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I already factored in Gardiner leaving, they still need to sign 2 players to replace him and Hainsey.

They need to trade a large contract not a guy like Kadri who is on a great contract.

You are forgetting guys on the Marlies.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
True, but Dermott certainly is and should be a top 4 right now. Nothing wrong with Rielly/Muzzin/Dermott/Zaitsev/Rosen/Lilljegren
With that bottom 4 the Leafs would only go as far as their scoring could take them and an injury to either top pairing guy would kill them.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Point is elite defensively. I'm not sure if Matthews' offence is so clear cut above him that he's the better player anymore. It's pretty close. If it's Matthews, it's by a slim margin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->