Matthews at 11.6M vs Point at 10.75M vs Marner at 10M

Pick one for your team

• Total voters

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Marner won't be taking a ~$1.5m discount from AM I can guarantee you that. He will be much closer to 11m than 10m or they will risk losing him to an offer sheet. I also think Point isn't a money grub like AM was and I see him taking closer to $8-9m (esp. considering taxes) than anything over $10m, For that reason, I voted Point.

IF these contract amounts held up I'd take Marner because I don't think AM is $2m better over 5 years than him.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Took Point, his 2 way play and hockey IQ is the difference.

If Mathews can play a full season again then.....

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I know this is hypothetical poll but leafs fans need to stop dreaming about Marner getting less than Matthews. He’s not taking less than him
Like it or not Mathews is the face of the franchise and Tavares perhaps as well.

Marner being 2nd fiddle is no disrespect to him just reality and the salary structure will need to respect this.

Marner isn't getting more than either guy in Toronto.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Like it or not Mathews is the face of the franchise and Tavares perhaps as well.

Marner being 2nd fiddle is no disrespect to him just reality and the salary structure will need to respect this.

Bingo.

And I agree for the same reason that Marner won’t get equal or more that Matthews.

Marner would have to do so much for so long to given the stature that is so easily handed to Matthews and neither kid is at fault for it.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Marner by a large margin.
Marner and Nuge on the second line would be a lot of fun to watch.

Foghorn Leghorn

Oct 31, 2017
in what world is 11.634 a low figure though?

I used the term "low" in comparing what the Leafs signed him for versus what I was expecting Arizona to offer him once the season was over. The Leafs could have been facing matching a $15 MM per year offer (which they would have been forced to match, to avoid the entire city burning to the ground), so I thought they got off lucky.

I do agree with your sentiment, though. These contracts all have numbers on them that don't even register with me.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Bingo.

And I agree for the same reason that Marner won’t get equal or more that Matthews.

Marner would have to do so much for so long to given the stature that is so easily handed to Matthews and neither kid is at fault for it.
That is the sad part in itself Mathews is handed everything because of perception. Don't get me wrong he is a great player however so is Marner. Mathews has been pushed as a savior from day one even though Marner to me is out performing him. I'd take Marner, Point then Mathews. Mathews is the best goal scorer of the bunch but the other two are the play makers.

Reactions: koyvoo

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I'll stick with Matthews here but poll isn't realistic, should be Matthews at 11.6 vs. Marner at 10 vs. Point at like 4.25 or something.

Reactions: Silky mitts

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
I think I'd take Point-Marner-Matthews. Those 3 are really really good players. While it's not entirely fair to Matthews, his injuries (especially the shoulder) concern me. Also, I think Matthews benefits from the hype of being a #1 OV & is seen as a savior. Marner & Point are as good if not better than Matthews.

Reactions: Katani Kalan

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Ironically Matthews is actually underrated on these boards. Not surprised though, a lot of point watchers on here.

Marner is not better or more valuable than Matthews. Marner is probably gonna top out as someone like Phil Kessel except more of a disher than a finisher. A fantastic player no doubt but Matthews' upside is just tremendous and he's already as good or better than Mitch.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011

you should check out pittsburgh's salaray structure if you dont think that someone can make more than the "face" of the franchise

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
you should check out pittsburgh's salaray structure if you dont think that someone can make more than the "face" of the franchise

Did Crosby and Malkin sign their current deals the same year?

That's why it's not comparable to Marner who will get less than both Mathews and Tavares.

Also The Leafs have other important signings to do this off season.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'll stick with Matthews here but poll isn't realistic, should be Matthews at 11.6 vs. Marner at 10 vs. Point at like 4.25 or something.

I'm sorry but if 4.5 million is all TB can offer Point, then he is going to offer sheets from many teams.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Marner won't be taking a ~$1.5m discount from AM I can guarantee you that. He will be much closer to 11m than 10m or they will risk losing him to an offer sheet. I also think Point isn't a money grub like AM was and I see him taking closer to $8-9m (esp. considering taxes) than anything over $10m, For that reason, I voted Point.

IF these contract amounts held up I'd take Marner because I don't think AM is $2m better over 5 years than him.
What would you consider a discount for Marner to be on his next contract. If he signed for an AAV of $10 million or $10.5 million, it's still more than Kucherov is getting in Tampa Bay. So he doesn't need to be making the exact AAV that Matthews will be getting next season.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I was being facetious, that said I am pretty confident Tampa will be able to get Point at a good value contract.

It's going to be tough for them as they need to sign some Dmen and both Sergachev and Vasilevskiy are up after next season.

Callahan will be done after next season but that probably only covers one of those salaries.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Did Crosby and Malkin sign their current deals the same year?

That's why it's not comparable to Marner who will get less than both Mathews and Tavares.

Also The Leafs have other important signings to do this off season.

No. Not the same year but malkin signed after and got more. Just saying its possible. What if marner signs a longer deal or something? 8 years 11 mil and they lock him up for longer? There are outcomes where marner could slot in around the same as matthews.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
No. Not the same year but malkin signed after and got more. Just saying its possible. What if marner signs a longer deal with a higher AAV or something? 8 years 11 mil and they lock him up for longer? There are outcomes where marner could slot in around or above matthews.

I think the biggest problem is that the Leafs need to sign Johnsson and Kapanen as well as 2 top 4 Dmen, maybe only one if Dermott is ready for a full time top 4 role.

Too many moving parts and not enough money to give Marner even 10 million.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
I think the biggest problem is that the Leafs need to sign Johnsson and Kapanen as well as 2 top 4 Dmen, maybe only one if Dermott is ready for a full time top 4 role.

certainly. Its not my place to decide what they should or shouldnt do. Hardly know anything about the leafs but i was just talking in general about possible contracts for marner.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

You also need to factor in that Jake Gardiner might not be re-signed so his $4.5 million AAV is coming off their cap and maybe they end up trading someone like Kadri or even Nylander.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You also need to factor in that Jake Gardiner might not be re-signed so his $4.5 million AAV is coming off their cap and maybe they end up trading someone like Kadri or even Nylander.

I already factored in Gardiner leaving, they still need to sign 2 players to replace him and Hainsey.

They need to trade a large contract not a guy like Kadri who is on a great contract.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I already factored in Gardiner leaving, they still need to sign 2 players to replace him and Hainsey.

They need to trade a large contract not a guy like Kadri who is on a great contract.

They might have won the JT battle but it might have set them back in the SC war

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014

It will be Willy.

We can and we will handcuff ourselves

Reactions: wetcoast

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Matthews would be an elite game breaking talent who would be a franchise centre for any team, I can’t imagine Marner or Point would do as well in a different situation. Matthews easily for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad