Matthews at 11.6M vs Point at 10.75M vs Marner at 10M

Pick one for your team

• Total voters

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Matthews is over a PPG first line C, playing with worse linemates. Draisaitl is largely playing on McDavids wing. That isnt even considering the difference in PPTOI where Matthews has played 100 fewer minutes this season, or over 1 minute per game played.

Not to mention, that Draisaitl signed his contract at the end of his draft+3 year and had 50 goals, 137 points in 191 games then.

Matthews, on the other hand is in his draft+3 season right now and has 98 goals, 179 points in 183 games.

But yeah, "Dubarelli" definitely got taken to the woodshed. :sarcasm:

Foghorn Leghorn

Oct 31, 2017
I thought Dubas did extremely well to get Matthews signed so quickly, and to what I view as a pretty low figure. I'm convinced that Arizona was ready to offer the farm to Matthews at the end of the season, to bring home their "prodigal son".

Conversely, I thought it was foolish of Matthews to jump at this, especially given how the Nylander negotiation went. I think he left a lot of money on the table.

Reactions: DelusionalLeafsFan

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
I thought Dubas did extremely well to get Matthews signed so quickly, and to what I view as a pretty low figure. I'm convinced that Arizona was ready to offer the farm to Matthews at the end of the season, to bring home their "prodigal son".

Conversely, I thought it was foolish of Matthews to jump at this, especially given how the Nylander negotiation went. I think he left a lot of money on the table.
in what world is 11.634 a low figure though?

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
It's low considering how ridiculous his ask was. Any other way you look at it it is pretty high
I dont view it as low at all. this past summer the leafs signed a previous hart trophy nominee for 11 million on all UFA years. with long term contracts you pay for potential and hope the final few years come in at a deal. This deal essentially says you are worth this today, and i dont see matthews as he stands today being worth the paycheque.

Reactions: Snowman

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
For 5 years ? No, most teams would not make that deal. Just because one team did something nonsensical doesn't mean other teams will. Term matters.
I feel like every team in the West would sign him to that contract this offseason if they were certain Tampa wouldn’t match, for starters.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I’ll take the best player of the 3 on the best contract, Marner.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I feel like every team in the West would sign him to that contract this offseason if they were certain Tampa wouldn’t match, for starters.
It's been 6 years since a player last signed an offersheet. Let's not pretend it's likely for Point.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
If they are one your best players you sign them for eight or don’t bother. So, either Point or Marner. Let’s see which wants to win or just get paid.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Matthews, he's the one who's shown he can produce at a high-level regardless of who he plays with at 5v5. Marner's elite 5v5 production comes playing with JT, and Point's playing with Kucherov. At those small price difference, I take the guy who is most likely to drive offense regardless of line-mates.

Reactions: AustonPowers

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
I've just assumed that Kucherov set the internal cap bar so to speak. Is that wrong?

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Point>>Marner>Matthews

You would have to go with the best player on the best contract here.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I know this is hypothetical poll but leafs fans need to stop dreaming about Marner getting less than Matthews. He’s not taking less than him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad