Player Discussion Matthew Tkachuk - "That Face You Just Want to Punch"

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Sheehy had a few different types of staches, one stretch he had the handle bars.
Sandy McCarthy was prob my favorite though. I actually got him to fight Jim McKenzie (Jets) for me!

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Crazy Nick Fotiu was a fav. of mine. It seemed like when he hit the ice everyone scattered! I liked Sandy McCarthy too. He created a lot of room out there. Grats will always be a favourite for staring down Torts.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Dumbass Dubas - "That Face You Just Want to Punch"

His incompetence, starting with the Tavares $11M signing and ending with the Marner $10.9M signing, has screwed every GM/team in the league. I'll be shocked if Tkachuk signs for anything less than $10M on a long term contract or $7M on a 2-3 year bridge.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Dumbass Dubas - "That Face You Just Want to Punch"

His incompetence, starting with the Tavares $11M signing and ending with the Marner $10.9M signing, has screwed every GM/team in the league. I'll be shocked if Tkachuk signs for anything less than $10M on a long term contract or $7M on a 2-3 year bridge.

There's reasons to hate him, but Tavares isn't one. SJS reportedly offered more, but Tavares wanted to go home.

Matthews, Nylander and Marner are all seemingly overpaid by approx 1-2 mil AAV each though.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
There's reasons to hate him, but Tavares isn't one. SJS reportedly offered more, but Tavares wanted to go home.

Matthews, Nylander and Marner are all seemingly overpaid by approx 1-2 mil AAV each though.

Yeah, it's not like Tavares was going to make more than his share of national Sponsorships alone in Toronto or anything, or that the Tax break in Leafs land is like 6% better than in SJ.

He "left money on the table" the way high end NCAA players "Don't get paid".

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah, it's not like Tavares was going to make more than his share of national Sponsorships alone in Toronto or anything, or that the Tax break in Leafs land is like 6% better than in SJ.

Doesn't really matter. He was a UFA and got paid like it. It should not have impacted the RFA market. Dubas deserves blame for letting it.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Doesn't really matter. He was a UFA and got paid like it. It should not have impacted the RFA market. Dubas deserves blame for letting it.

100%

My point was people painting it like he was going to leave all kinds of money on the table.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Jeez ok fine. You guys make a fair point.

Dubas' second stupidest offer for Tavares (which was accepted) is still a stupid offer for Tavares, even if it wasn't as stupid as SJS' offer to Tavares.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Jeez ok fine. You guys make a fair point.

Dubas' second stupidest offer for Tavares (which was accepted) is still a stupid offer for Tavares, even if it wasn't as stupid as SJS' offer to Tavares.
The Oilers offered James Neal more than we did, that means his contract isn't that bad!

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
With the Mangiapane signing the Flames now have $6,341,625 in cap space left to sign Chucky.
If they waive Czarnik that adds another $1 mil. Definitely doable on a short bridge deal.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
With the Mangiapane signing the Flames now have $6,341,625 in cap space left to sign Chucky.
If they waive Czarnik that adds another $1 mil. Definitely doable on a short bridge deal.
I don't think we need to waive Czarnik and I'm not sure we should.

The following is just an example on how we could maximize cap space

We can waive Quine & Davidson, send them down, send Dube & Kylington down. Then we can sign Rieder for 700k and recall Davidson or Kylington when Valimaki is placed on LTIR. While I don't like the idea of a 22 man roster, this maximizes cap space and would give us about 8m to work with.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I don't think we need to waive Czarnik and I'm not sure we should.

The following is just an example on how we could maximize cap space

We can waive Quine & Davidson, send them down, send Dube & Kylington down. Then we can sign Rieder for 700k and recall Davidson or Kylington when Valimaki is placed on LTIR. While I don't like the idea of a 22 man roster, this maximizes cap space and would give us about 8m to work with.
My figures don't include Davidson's salary. I thought about sending just Quine down but the Flames only get $735,000 in cap relief by doing that.
I also think Dube & Kylington deserve a chance to prove themselves with the Flames this year so I'm not overly enthusiastic about waiving those players. I'd rather take the chance on losing Czarnik... even though the does play RW which is a desirable commodity with the Flames.
I also, as you do, don't like going with a 22 man roster.

But hey... your ideas are definitely an option if the Flames can't sign Chucky for $7.3M on a bridge contract... no way they get him for that little on a long term one.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
It’s worth noting, with Stone signed we could save another 30k sending Kylington down. Don’t know if we see that happening but if it’s super tight to get Tkachuk signed, it’s an option.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
My figures don't include Davidson's salary. I thought about sending just Quine down but the Flames only get $735,000 in cap relief by doing that.
I also think Dube & Kylington deserve a chance to prove themselves with the Flames this year so I'm not overly enthusiastic about waiving those players. I'd rather take the chance on losing Czarnik... even though the does play RW which is a desirable commodity with the Flames.
I also, as you do, don't like going with a 22 man roster.

But hey... your ideas are definitely an option if the Flames can't sign Chucky for $7.3M on a bridge contract... no way they get him for that little on a long term one.
I know Davidson isn't in those numbers, I just mentioned him because he is a legitimate option for the #7 role if we decide to play Stone nightly on the 3rd pair as Davidson makes less than Kylington, who is still waiver exempt.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
I know its a guessing game but what is the issues $ or term? I just don't see him taking anything over 4 years.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
If Point got 6.75 x 3, Tkachuk should easily come in under 6 on a 2-3 year deal.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Ya I am thinking hes not happy with Point right now. Flames should be able to keep him at or below the Gio cap on a 3 year deal now.

He should fire his agent if he gets less than 9 million. The Leafs have opened up a can of worms with this.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
He should fire his agent if he gets less than 9 million. The Leafs have opened up a can of worms with this.
The closest comparable to Tkachuk the Leafs have is Nylander, who comes in at 6.9 (nice?) million AAV on a 6 year deal. Matthews is the best goal scorer to enter the NHL since Stamkos, and Marner just finished putting up a 92 point season. They are both a full level above Tkachuk in terms of offensive production.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
The closest comparable to Tkachuk the Leafs have is Nylander, who comes in at 6.9 (nice?) million AAV on a 6 year deal. Matthews is the best goal scorer to enter the NHL since Stamkos, and Marner just finished putting up a 92 point season. They are both a full level above Tkachuk in terms of offensive production.

I hope you guys get him for less, I am getting sick of watching RFA's holding teams hostage. I hope you guys either get him at a good price or sit him for the year, set a precedence.

Reactions: SmellOfVictory

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Treliving is definitely licking his lips with that Point contract. That AAV is even the Gio cap.

If Tkachuk asks for more than that on a bridge, I'm sure Tre will tell him to enjoy Europe for the year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad