Matthew Tkachuk or Mitchell Marner?

Matthew Tkachuk or Mitchell Marner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Tkachuk is definitely better at not being better. It’s not close either.

agreed.

this is my personal favorite. marner on a cold streak was actually losing to kevin fiala
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/marner-vs-fiala.2445657/page-5

Marner (draft+3) 22g/69pts
Fiala (draft+4) 23g/48pts

mitch scored more this year than fiala has through 140 career games (mostly as a 20-21 year old)
but marner squeaks out the win because hfboards will always be hfboards

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Strong bump Leaf fans...:cool:. Points don't tell the whole story.

It's very close as the poll indicates...
20 points tells a pretty good story.

But you're right, Marner also played on the shutdown line with Kadri for the second half of the season and the playoffs. His points alone don't tell the story of how good he is.

It's a shame we can't bump the Marner versus Fiala poll too. That one looks good as well.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
What? Marner has outscored Tkachuk by 33 points over the past two seasons. What similar offensive upside?

That is like me saying Marner and Tkachuk are similar size physically.
Because on HFBoards imaginary points are equal to actual points scored by a Leaf. Learn the hierarchy here.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
In that case Wheeler>Matthews. Last 2 seasons: Wheeler 166 points, Matthews 132 points.
Uh ok? Over the last 2 years Wheeler has been better than Matthews.

Don't see how either of those players are relevent to this thread though. Common tactic to save face for humiliation in threads like these.

member 157595

In that case Wheeler>Matthews. Last 2 seasons: Wheeler 166 points, Matthews 132 points.

Uh, I'm a Leafs fan and Wheeler definitely is better than Matthews right now. What's the point here?

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Uh ok? Over the last 2 years Wheeler has been better than Matthews.

Don't see how either of those players are relevent to this thread though. Common tactic to save face for humiliation in threads like these.

He probably has been, tbh.

Uh, I'm a Leafs fan and Wheeler definitely is better than Matthews right now. What's the point here?
In the past IPS has made numerous claims of Matthews>>Wheeler.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
In the past IPS has made numerous claims of Matthews>>Wheeler.
Thank you for bringing up something completely irrelevant. Matthews was better than Wheeler last year but Wheeler's MVP calibre season was better than Matthews this season. Considering the past three seasons (including this year), Blake is at the peak of his career at the ripe 31. I don't think there's any shame in Auston getting beat out by a guy having a career year, especially considering the amount of injuries Auston had this year.

As for this poll, Marner is the better player here by a decent margin but with that said, I would happily take Tkachuk on the Leafs (without giving up Matthews/ Marner) since he's BFFs with Auston and he'd be a monster as his winger. Tkachuk brings a fantastic mix of skill, grit and agitation in his game. Something that every team would happily take. However, unless you're getting a Brad Marchand (90 point player atm) or Brendan Gallagher (30G guy atm), it's hard to justify passing up on the extra 20-25 points that Marner will put up over Tkachuk, every year.

To the person who insinuated Marner being PPG while Tkachuk would put up 70-75, I think that is absolutely absurd since Marner has a better shot at putting up 100 points consistently over Tkachuk putting up 70-75 points. Marner will probably average out 70-75 points a year while Tkachuk's career averages I see around 50-55 points. Both players might have a peak season or two but there will always be a significant difference in points.

With that all said though, if your team needs the grit/ agitator more than they need a high scoring winger, then it's perfectly fine taking Tkachuk.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
My god theres a lot of hyperbole on that last page for three more points this season.

When Matthews cracks a ppg there might be a parade in Toronto.
20 point difference to end the year and Matthews did crack PPG and there was no parade. :(

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
Man leafs fans sure babble about persecution on here like nobody else. Perhaps people just dont see your players as the golden boys the same way you do. There isnt some big conspiracy.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Marner has edge in offensive ability. That being said, Tkachuk was on pace for less than 10 points less than Marner finished the season with. On top of that... he is better at everything else in the game.

And he is younger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad