Prospect Info: Matthew Robertson, LD, 2nd round, 49th overall, 2019

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He’s been compared to the likes of Vlasic, Parayko and Ekholm.

The rangers clearly have a type of D that they like. Hajek, Rykov, Miller and Robertson all fit the same mold.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
it might just be that he's the shiny new toy...but i'm starting to get pretty excited about his upside. can't wait to see where he ranks among our dmen a year from now considering how stacked we already are...

Reactions: jas

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Robertson could end up being one of the biggest steals of the draft.

Tons of rankings had him as a first rounder:
2019 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #19 by ISS Hockey
2019 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #19 by Future Considerations
2019 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #35 by Hockeyprospect.com
2019 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #29 by McKeen's Hockey
2019 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #25 by TSN/McKenzie
2019 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #26 by NHL Central Scouting

Basically it seems he's a big kid, great skater, effective shut down guy but also good at moving the puck out of his own zone and up the ice effectively and also at jumping into the play.

Could be the type of guy we look back on the draft in 5-6 years and people can't believe he went 49th.

Reactions: egelband and jas

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
That's one of the reasons I decided to post that. There are many little subtle plays that are shown. The talent disparity would be an argument though.

Reactions: Leetch3

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Robertson could end up being one of the biggest steals of the draft.

Tons of rankings had him as a first rounder:
2019 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #19 by ISS Hockey
2019 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #19 by Future Considerations
2019 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #35 by Hockeyprospect.com
2019 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #29 by McKeen's Hockey
2019 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #25 by TSN/McKenzie
2019 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #26 by NHL Central Scouting

Basically it seems he's a big kid, great skater, effective shut down guy but also good at moving the puck out of his own zone and up the ice effectively and also at jumping into the play.

Could be the type of guy we look back on the draft in 5-6 years and people can't believe he went 49th.

That's a real possibility.

He's a smart, mobile player who could spell a risk-taking, puck moving defenseman if it all comes together.

It's not surprising the Rangers paired him with Fox in development camp, that feels like a logical thought process.

Reactions: egelband

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
That's a real possibility.

He's a smart, mobile player who could spell a risk-taking, puck moving defenseman if it all comes together.

It's not surprising the Rangers paired him with Fox in development camp, that feels like a logical thought process.

Just giving me more fuel for my ‘Trade Brady Skjei ‘ bandwagon.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Just giving me more fuel for my ‘Trade Brady Skjei ‘ bandwagon.
there will be a time and place for that (probably when he's due for a raise or pre-UFA. I hope Gorton can time it so Brady sells high.
Semi-expecting Miller to go pro next season. Don't want to pencil him in yet for a roster spot though. That would be overlooking the Hajek-Rykov-Lindgren trio. They could all have big seasons. Time in Hartford also shouldn't be terrible either. Robertson has one more season in the W. Then he's got the overage option but more likely goes to Hartford since he'll have 4 years. Oof, didn't realize he was so far along in regards to the pro track. That puts him in a similar situation with Miller then... geez, Hartford competition is getting fierce. Even this year we have like 10 defensemen who can play in the AHL just fine so maybe that also means the ECHL team does really well + they'll have Huska down there.

So maybe this Trade-Brady train pulls into the station earlier than I thought. A season with Trouba will help jack up his value :naughty:

Reactions: Leetch3 and jas

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I miss the excitement over what Staal could become :(

The guy is built like a cross between a Buick and an orangutan, and he thinks the game so well. He could of been a 1D stud for an entire decade.

There are certain players like Robinson where you can just tell they are probably going to be a good player.

Skating
decision making
getting his shots on net
subtle moves and plays that he makes

Two things:

1) I did not hear his name around here that I can remember, but that's me perhaps.
2) I find it hard to believe he was not taken in the first round and was available. How the heck did that happen?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
There are certain players like Robinson where you can just tell they are probably going to be a good player.

Skating
decision making
getting his shots on net
subtle moves and plays that he makes

Two things:

1) I did not hear his name around here that I can remember, but that's me perhaps.
2) I find it hard to believe he was not taken in the first round and was available. How the heck did that happen?

I can name 50 players who are good enough to be picked in the 1st round. It's just difficult to predict who will once you get to the 20-range

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad