Prospect Info: Matthew Robertson, LD, 2nd round, 49th overall, 2019

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
6’4 201 lbs. Robertson is a nearly physically developed defensive defenseman. While Robertson isn’t as impressive offensively as some of the other first round defenseman his defensive play, size, and good skating make him a safe bet to be an NHL defenseman. Robertson’s skating coupled with his gap control and long reach makes him a scary defenseman to go up against. Needs to work on lateral movement as he can get beat wide but that may be the weakest part of his defensive game. Shows flashes of offensive potential by rushing through the neutral zone only to make the safe pass.

Here’s my report on him. Had him at 29, was once a consensus top 10-15 prospect for this class. Again would’ve preferred a forward than a LHD but he’s good.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Should have a taken a goalie.

Seriously, sounds like a great value pick. Can never have too many quality D.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
6’4 201 lbs. Robertson is a nearly physically developed defensive defenseman. While Robertson isn’t as impressive offensively as some of the other first round defenseman his defensive play, size, and good skating make him a safe bet to be an NHL defenseman. Robertson’s skating coupled with his gap control and long reach makes him a scary defenseman to go up against. Needs to work on lateral movement as he can get beat wide but that may be the weakest part of his defensive game. Shows flashes of offensive potential by rushing through the neutral zone only to make the safe pass.

Here’s my report on him. Had him at 29, was once a consensus top 10-15 prospect for this class. Again would’ve preferred a forward than a LHD but he’s good.

I agree with a lot of this talk.

For me, it wasn’t anything Robertson didn’t do, so much as other talents just emerged over the course or the season. I’d have to look at my peak ranking for him, but it was either the late teens or early 20s.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I really like this pick. I would have projected him to go in the late 1st round. A good defensive d-man with a hard shot. We don’t have many of those. Seems to be like a Vlasic or a Weber-lite.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
This is why Gorton is a genius and AV was a moron. This stupid mentality that defenseman have to get points is idiotic. Teams that win cups keep the puck out of their net. This kid from scouting reports should have gone top 20. Gorton once again is magical. While the team is stacked on the left side. In 4-5 years my guess is Skjei will be moved for picks and he will slide right in.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
This is why Gorton is a genius and AV was a moron. This stupid mentality that defenseman have to get points is idiotic. Teams that win cups keep the puck out of their net. This kid from scouting reports should have gone top 20. Gorton once again is magical. While the team is stacked on the left side. In 4-5 years my guess is Skjei will be moved for picks and he will slide right in.
Since when does AV like offensive defensemen?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->