Matthew Phillips

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
Phillips is 2nd in league scoring right now. he has 9 goals, 15 assists and 24 points in just 10 games. This man has drawn comparisons to theo fleury for how short he is (5th shortesrt player in the whl and he is almost 20) and how offensively lethal he is. (theo scored 160 points in 68 games when he was 20) Expect this guy to make the nhl in the future, as his offensive prowess will be just what the flames need. He won't be called too short, especially with debrincat in the nhl.

ElFossum

Nov 19, 2013
Saskatoon SK
Lethal, absolutely. Do I think he'll make a huge impact like Fleury? No. I do believe Phillips is partially feeding off of the dynamic group they have in Victoria right now, and his numbers are slightly inflated. Both he and Hannoun have pro skill levels while being very undersized.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
I wish I had Phillips' shorthanded goal from the other night on hand.

He's a terrific talent, and has all the makings for being an impact player in the NHL one day, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

To me, it really depends on the system he's implemented into. Here in Victoria, things work out great, but depending on a coach, linemates, environment, things can change.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
He's definitely one of the top 2 most talented players to don a Royals uniform (other being Hicketts).

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Royals giving it to Tri City tonight, they were down 2 zip but a beauty Phillips goal turned the tide..its now 6 2 Royals..

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Getting close to the half way mark of the season, and he's still close to 2 points per game, only behind the Swift Current trio in scoring.

Again, not getting my hopes up too high until he gets tested at the professional level, but his development with the Royals organization has been fun to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad