Player Discussion: Matthew Peca

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Sweet goal the other night (first NHL goal). Very good replacement for Point.

Looking forward, is he the next Tyler Johnson? Same size, same #63 in their first season but I see even more similarities in their game.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Looking forward, is he the next Tyler Johnson? Same size, same #63 in their first season but I see even more similarities in their game.
Doubt he is another Johnson but he looks ok so far he might be able to finish more
Then Braden point right now.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach

Im a big fan of this kid, saw him and Johnson play in the A. Reminded me of each other there too. Shifty high motor kid.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Im a big fan of this kid, saw him and Johnson play in the A. Reminded me of each other there too. Shifty high motor kid.

Not to mention strong backchecking, not being afraid to drive the net as well as being chirpy as ****. Peca's got that Johnson grin going on in the middle of scrums.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Probably 3C who can play wing on the 2nd or 3rd line, I think anywhere from 25-40 points - hard to tell given the small sample sizes we've seen him in.

I was going to say he may have a Matt Cullen like career, 3C on some teams 4C on others, but then I saw Cullen has had 7 40 point seasons, I can't see Peca getting close to that.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Looks like he belongs in the NHL. Gives us great center depth, and a lot more speed in the bottom-six.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Just bumping this thread to ask a question about his future. A UFA, 25 years old, decent depth center. I did have the pleasure of watching him for a game or two during the reg season. Brought good energy and decent skill. I'm just curious if you guys could inform me a bit more on his strengths/weaknesses/special teams usage, aswell as if he has a future for your club.
Cheers.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Just bumping this thread to ask a question about his future. A UFA, 25 years old, decent depth center. I did have the pleasure of watching him for a game or two during the reg season. Brought good energy and decent skill. I'm just curious if you guys could inform me a bit more on his strengths/weaknesses/special teams usage, aswell as if he has a future for your club.
Cheers.

In his limited time in Tampa he was a speedy pest, effective offensively with guys like Killorn and Gourde, and great at faceoffs. I’d love to see us bring him back but I expect he’ll be looking to sign somewhere with less center depth to have a better chance at securing a starting role.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think he could jumpstart his career with a move to a bottom-feeding team, or just a team without a lot of forward depth. Our roster isn't the easiest to crack.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I don't see Peca having the tools to be another Marchessault. JAM looked like a juggernaut even though he was somewhat raw and poor defensively. The guy could thread passes and shoot the puck. He had pretty good hands. More time and experience made him more confident and comfortable. It translated well because he had the skill. I think Peca is capable of a bottom 6 role but I don't think we need to worry about another Marchessault situation. I've never been completely impressed with him the way I was with Marchessault but of course that's just my measly opinion.

The fact that Cirelli found a way into the lineup pretty much killed any future with Peca here.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Peca might have a chance to crack the lineup, I mean our center depth is
  • Stamkos
  • Point
  • (Johnson who played more wing than center and could be traded)
  • Cirelli
  • Paquette (injury-prone and could be traded)

And they all suck at faceoffs while Peca doesn't.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
Too small to be on our team with all of the other smurfs we already have. Peca can flourish on a bigger team such as Florida who can make up for mistake of letting Marchessault go!

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Too small to be on our team with all of the other smurfs we already have. Peca can flourish on a bigger team such as Florida who can make up for mistake of letting Marchessault go!

Hope he goes to a team out of our division this time.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
How in the world is a kid that’s been buried in the minors and gets a call up this year now an UFA? Strange

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad