Player Discussion Matthew Peca: Pecachu (12/12/19: Out 6 Weeks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Is Peca a lock to remain in the starting 12? Does he warrant staying in the line up? He does bring speed but not much else

I liked him in the preseason. I hope he can adapt his game. I wonder if he's similar to Gorges - it took him some time to get comfortable at the NHL level.

Having said that, I'm rooting more for Hudon and Scherbak because they have higher offensive upside, imo. So I want them to get more of an opportunity than Peca, if it comes down to it, when Plekanec is healthy.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
Peca is way better than Plekanec and it’s not even close. Saying otherwise is just taking snapshots of your brain of what Plekanec used to be and thinking he’s the same guy. He’s pretty well finished. He can still skate but his hands and shot have dwindled to useless status.

Reactions: Hardworker33

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Peca is way better than Plekanec and it’s not even close. Saying otherwise is just taking snapshots of your brain of what Plekanec used to be and thinking he’s the same guy. He’s pretty well finished. He can still skate but his hands and shot have dwindled to useless status.

don't know if I would say it's not even close, Peca brings more speed for sure and more offense but in a 4th line role it's possible that Pleks brings more defensively and on the PK. I didn't want Pleks back at all, he just shouldn't have been re-signed imo but he was on pace for 33 pts last year which is shocking considering how many of his shots seem to try to cave in the goalies chest by hitting them in the logo repeatedly. I'd rather have Peca since he's younger and quicker, but I'm not yet ready to say he's way better then Pleks in terms of overall game. I need to see more of Peca as i haven't been overly impressed with him other then his speed.

Reactions: Sorinth

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
don't know if I would say it's not even close, Peca brings more speed for sure and more offense but in a 4th line role it's possible that Pleks brings more defensively and on the PK. I didn't want Pleks back at all, he just shouldn't have been re-signed imo but he was on pace for 33 pts last year which is shocking considering how many of his shots seem to try to cave in the goalies chest by hitting them in the logo repeatedly. I'd rather have Peca since he's younger and quicker, but I'm not yet ready to say he's way better then Pleks in terms of overall game. I need to see more of Peca as i haven't been overly impressed with him other then his speed.

Personally as a 4th liner i think DLR fits the role better than the other two. You're not looking for speed or offense you're looking for an Eller type player. That's with centers like that in your bottom 6 that you win. Guys good on the forecheck and able to win puck battles in tight games. Of course DLR is not offensively skilled and is not as good as Eller but he plays a very similar game. I will be surprised if with more experience he doesn't become a good shutdown 4th line center personally.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I think he has shown some good things, but his offensive game has been hit or miss. It doesn't help he's had new linemates every other game and been stuck with Shaw/D-Lo who have been awful.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not so shocking when you look at how much ice time he was getting.

At over 16 mins a game...33pts is awful

If Matthew Peca played over 16 mins a game, i'm sure he could match that pace if not exceed it as well.

Even Danault who is playing a similar role and getting similar ice ice time as Plekanec got with the Habs last year, is on pace for 37pts.

Reactions: Andrei79

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Personally as a 4th liner i think DLR fits the role better than the other two. You're not looking for speed or offense you're looking for an Eller type player. That's with centers like that in your bottom 6 that you win. Guys good on the forecheck and able to win puck battles in tight games. Of course DLR is not offensively skilled and is not as good as Eller but he plays a very similar game. I will be surprised if with more experience he doesn't become a good shutdown 4th line center personally.

yea they shouldn't have re-signed Pleks and just given the job to DLR.

Not so shocking when you look at how much ice time he was getting.

At over 16 mins a game...33pts is awful

If Matthew Peca played over 16 mins a game, i'm sure he could match that pace if not exceed it as well.

Even Danault who is playing a similar role and getting similar ice ice time as Plekanec got with the Habs last year, is on pace for 37pts.

you need help, I bet you have a Pleks voodoo doll.

If Pleks played 30 minutes a game I still would be shocked if he had 33 pts as his offense looks gone. I said that Peca has more offense to him and speed but I'm just not sure if Peca is way better then Pleks and it's not even close as the poster above my first quote said. I just haven't seen Peca enough as he hasn't really impressed me that much so far and while i didn't want Pleks back I still think he can be a decent defensive forward and PKer.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
you need help, I bet you have a Pleks voodoo doll.
I need help?

You brought up Plekanec, I just added more context. I didnt say anything disparaging towards him or you to merit that kinda response

But OK I guess...

If Pleks played 30 minutes a game I still would be shocked if he had 33 pts as his offense looks gone. I said that Peca has more offense to him and speed but I'm just not sure if Peca is way better then Pleks and it's not even close as the poster above my first quote said. I just haven't seen Peca enough as he hasn't really impressed me that much so far and while i didn't want Pleks back I still think he can be a decent defensive forward and PKer.
I think both should platoon depending on matchups and their performance.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I need help?

You brought up Plekanec, I just added more context. I didnt say anything disparaging towards him or you to merit that kinda response

But OK I guess...

I think both should platoon depending on matchups and their performance.

yes you need professional help. You can't even tell who brought up Pleks, it wasn't me as I was responding to the poster that said Peca is way better and it's not even close. I said Peca has more offense, and then you go and type that if Peca played the same ice as Pleks last year he could match or exceed, so clearly I would agree with that since I said Peca has more offense.

I didn't even say anything positive about Pleks other then I'm not sold on Peca yet and Pleks defensive game is likely better and you still jumped in thinking I brought him up.

I'm really just having fun, but if there's a thread with Pleks name brought up you can bet who's name will be responding. I'm sure people can say the same of me with Lefebvre. It's not really serious, I don't think you need professional help, I should have used the :sarcasm: or :D or :loony: or :whaaa?:

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
yes you need professional help.
Uncalled for...

You can't even tell who brought up Pleks, it wasn't me as I was responding to the poster that said Peca is way better and it's not even close. I said Peca has more offense, and then you go and type that if Peca played the same ice as Pleks last year he could match or exceed, so clearly I would agree with that since I said Peca has more offense.
I realize you didn't initially bring up Plekanec, I was just adding context to the comment you made about Plekanec - that is all.

I was reiterating what you were saying about Peca vs Plekanec, with added context.

I'm really not sure why you're now posting that I need professional help as though i'm some kind of mad man.

I didn't even say anything positive about Pleks other then I'm not sold on Peca yet and Pleks defensive game is likely better and you still jumped in thinking I brought him up
Again, I think you misunderstood my post...I was jumping on you, I was adding context to your thought.

I'm really just having fun, but if there's a thread with Pleks name brought up you can bet who's name will be responding. I'm sure people can say the same of me with Lefebvre. It's not really serious, I don't think you need professional help, I should have used the :sarcasm: or :D or :loony: or :whaaa?:
Ok got it...I was a bit confused as it seemed like it was a sincere thought.

I won't lie i'm triggered by posts re: Plekanec...guilty as charged, but i'll go back to minding my business on this matter lol

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
I like him personally. Just his speed makes it worth... it generates a good forecheck by default. I'd keep him in the lineup for sure. IMO, Deslauriers is the one that shouldn't play every game.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It will be interesting to see who ends up better down the road between Peca and DLR, since Peca was given DLR's job. I know Peca is faster and brings more offense but if you don't re-sign old man winter at least you could have DLR and Peca fight it out. I know most don't like DLR but wouldn't be bad to have his size, defensive play in case he gets better since his develop was handled so poorly.

Reactions: 417

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Hudon......Peca.......Scherbak

See what it can do. The 4th line has been a nothing entity to this point. Think that 4th line needs to kick in a bit.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Hudon......Peca.......Scherbak

See what it can do. The 4th line has been a nothing entity to this point. Think that 4th line needs to kick in a bit.

Pretty much the line I wanted to see for the last couple of games, an 'experimental' one, you shelter that line and put it in offensive situations, where they can shine.

They don't have to have an equal share of playing time as the other lines, and the other lines can eat more.

And saying that, I don't even like Peca that much so far, but I think he's being misused, and would shine a bit more with players who are actually skilled, playing with Deslauriers and Shaw doesn't help him on that matter.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Pretty much the line I wanted to see for the last couple of games, an 'experimental' one, you shelter that line and put it in offensive situations, where they can shine.

They don't have to have an equal share of playing time as the other lines, and the other lines can eat more.

And saying that, I don't even like Peca that much so far, but I think he's being misused, and would shine a bit more with players who are actually skilled, playing with Deslauriers and Shaw doesn't help him on that matter.

No, it really doesnt. His style of play does not at all fit with those 2 and my guess is CJ wanted DLR to stay over Scherbak.

My guess is there is a bit of not seeing eye to eye with MB, like I think there was between MT and MB. I know GMs dont want to interfere with coaches, but CJ is being stubborn about that 4th line and just cant handle the defensive question marks. As you said, give it sheltered minutes to see what it can do. But if you want to see what Hudon, Peca and Scherbak can do, they have to play with skill.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad