Player Discussion Matthew Peca: Pecachu (12/12/19: Out 6 Weeks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Locks

May 28, 2005
I was high on Peca when he was with the Lightning. Do you see him slot in your lineup next season and if so, where?

He has next to zero chance to play in MTL next season. He already lost his spot when Weal and Thompson, both natural centres, were brought in and became regulars last season. Then after what Poehling showed in the final game of the season and the addition of Cousins who can play both C and W, there is no room for Peca at all. He has very good speed and some good puck skills but he is absolutely brutal defensively and that basically sealed the deal for him.
He was signed because prior to the last season the Habs had only one proven top 9 centre, they did not know if Domi would be a success in that position and that KK would be an NHL centre right away, so they needed some insurance at the position. He should hope that another team would pick him off waivers, otherwise it is Laval.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I still stand by my initial reply concerning Peca.

Player Discussion - Matthew Peca: Pecachu

Was a very small sample size though. Only 10 games which doesn't mean much. Before this year he had 7 points in 20 games total (0.35 ppg) and now he has 10 points in 30 games total (0.33 ppg). To put things in perspective Hudon has 37 points in 86 games (0.43 ppg), Daniel Carr 34 points in 94 games (0.36 ppg) and Andrighetto 67 points in 158 games (0.42 ppg).

I don't think Peca intangibles are that great. He's fast but if he can't turn that speed into offensive production then i don't think he's a great bottom 6 player. I would take a bigger and better fore-cheker as a bottom 6 player.

The thing with players like Weal or Peca is just say it wont work and you'll be right 99% of the time. You don't even need to know the players and you'll be right more often than someone trying to predict late bloomers. You can't predict late bloomers even the best GMs can't. It's a matter of luck and the chances to land one becoming as good as the likes of St Louis are next to none. It's okay to try once upon a blue moon but MB is trying way to hard to find the diamond in the rough.

Reactions: Miller Time

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I was high on Peca when he was with the Lightning. Do you see him slot in your lineup next season and if so, where?

like others have said he's more likely to be in Laval but there are just too many questions right now for anyone to really say.

The first is if they go with 7 or 8 D, which will very much impact Peca as 8 D means only 1 spare forward.

The next are the rookies and how they fare at camp/preseason and what managements plans are. Poehling, Suzuki and others should get a long look but could also go to the AHL to work on things.

After that it likely comes down a battle between other bubble guys like Hudon, Barber, Varone, Weise who could all be in Laval but Peca will need to be better then all of them.

Then you have to see about injuries, or if anyone struggles at camp, like if Weal regresses or Thompson is too slow, it could give Peca a shot but it's not looking good for him.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
The roster has 15 forwards. I don't see an open spot for him. Likely, he's waiver bait or buried in the AHL. Next year, he leaves as a free agent or gets traded at the deadline for depth. It's really no big deal.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I hope he is saving some of that 2.6 million dollar contract because he won’t fleece another GM like he did Bergevin. He is and has always been a career minor leaguer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad