Player Discussion Matthew Peca: Pecachu (12/12/19: Out 6 Weeks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Whatever happened to earning it?
It was some factors who prevented him to keep this spot permanently. Some stretches he was on another level. Some stretches he was not here. He got some chemistry with some partners tho. If he played at the end with the season with these actual 4th liners maybe he'd have shown something...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It was some factors who prevented him to keep this spot permanently. Some stretches he was on another level. Some stretches he was not here. He got some chemistry with some partners tho. If he played at the end with the season with these actual 4th liners maybe he'd have shown something...

He's a small player on a small team, whose initial appeal was his ability to play center. Of course, he's been eclipsed by others since.

I think he'll easily pass through waivers since MB overpaid him.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Another desperation Bergy signing, that he never takes heat for because 'nothing ventured nothing gained' 'it wasn't much money' 'we needed to fill the position' , love the excuses for his incompetence as a GM and as a high school graduate.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He's a small player on a small team, whose initial appeal was his ability to play center. Of course, he's been eclipsed by others since.

The advantage of teams with a budget. Ensuring they can offer deals that can turn many teams off from claiming someone. Even with Peca at $1.3M, that deal didn't hinder the cap or a roster spot. And if he does indeed clear waivers, almost his entire cap comes off the books. And he'd be great for Laval.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Another desperation Bergy signing, that he never takes heat for because 'nothing ventured nothing gained' 'it wasn't much money' 'we needed to fill the position' , love the excuses for his incompetence as a GM and as a high school graduate.

lol he takes heat for just about everything he does. At the time people couldn't believe Peca got two years.

He had a good offseason last year. If you really need to rake him over the coals for this crippling Peca contract then I guess...?

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
lol he takes heat for just about everything he does. At the time people couldn't believe Peca got two years.

He had a good offseason last year. If you really need to rake him over the coals for this crippling Peca contract then I guess...?

Alzner, Schlemballs, Hemsky.. Bergy knows how to pick em.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What type of trade?.

Could be part of a larger trade package or a trade where it's just him for a pick or for a prospect younger and don't have to clear waivers. I think there would be interest where bottom of the NHL teams would like to improve their bottom 6.

Hate to trade Peca for peanuts but I also think he is at risk of getting claimed on waivers. Do you think he gets claimed if he is send down in October or November?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Could be part of a larger trade package or a trade where it's just him for a pick or for a prospect younger and don't have to clear waivers. I think there would be interest where bottom of the NHL teams would like to improve their bottom 6.

Hate to trade Peca for peanuts but I also think he is at risk of getting claimed on waivers. Do you think he gets claimed if he is send down in October or November?

I can't claim to know what ahmedou would say, nor would I attempt it.

Except that when final cuts are announced just before teams are required to pare their rosters, is usually when you have a cattle of players get through quite easily compared to how the best of them may fare at other times when teams are not scrambling to meet roster restrictions in-season. Peca would get through for that reason in my view, plus the fact of the overpayment on his deal.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

Based on why they bring him yes... Not fully delivered the job as a centerman.
Another desperation Bergy signing, that he never takes heat for because 'nothing ventured nothing gained' 'it wasn't much money' 'we needed to fill the position' , love the excuses for his incompetence as a GM and as a high school graduate
It was not necessary to sign Peca from the beginning...

Me: Wait and see approach.

I'll wait until the end of the 2019's camp. If he's achieving something, it's better he stays. If he's failing, good riddance then. In October or November if he's with Laval and putting points perhaps some teams would bring him in their table. It's the MB's acquisition so we shall see.

habmercy

Aug 19, 2017
Peca was a good move at the time. Taking a forward from a stacked TB team with a lot of good forwards was a good depth move. Unfortunately for Peca, because of Kotkaniemi making the team he got bumped down the depth chart at centre and is more likely a non-factor next year, That's sports you work to improve and then a kid comes along and give you a bad dose of reality, Signing Weal and Thompson has only buried him further, We may get a late pick for him, He is likely behind Poehling, Suzuki and a few others if we are able to use him as a call up but if McCarron has improved, heals and is resigned Peca's once rosey future may disappearing fast.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I was high on Peca when he was with the Lightning. Do you see him slot in your lineup next season and if so, where?

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
I was high on Peca when he was with the Lightning. Do you see him slot in your lineup next season and if so, where?
Drouin, Domi, Gallagher, Danault, Tatar, Weal, Kotkaniemi, Lehkonen, Armia, Byron, Cousins are a more or less set in stone top 11.

Poehling, Suzuki, Peca, Thompson, Hudon, Barber and Varone are competing for the final 2 spots.
It's feasible he makes it, and if he does, it's likely as the 13th forward.

edit: I think it's also likely we start with 8 defensemen, hence the need for only 13 forwards

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

I think the issue with him is that his lack of size and he's not skilled enough to surpass any of our other short/speedy guys. As of right now our team is looking to have Byron,Cousins,Weal,Thompson,Hudon and perhaps even Poehling (if he doesn't make the top 9) fighting for a 4th line spot.

This is my lineup at the moment and it assumes Nick Suzuki and Jake Evans get sent to the AHL:

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - X (Poehling's spot to lose imo)
Armia - Kotkaniemi - Lekhonen
Byron - Cousins/Thompson - Weal

The 4th line is unconventionally small as it is , having Peca doesn't really add anything of value to our lineup. Though I could see him being useful on a bigger team that needs some C depth as he has good wheels and some offensive instincts.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
I think the issue with him is that his lack of size and he's not skilled enough to surpass any of our other short/speedy guys. As of right now our team is looking to have Byron,Cousins,Weal,Thompson,Hudon and perhaps even Poehling (if he doesn't make the top 9) fighting for a 4th line spot.

This is my lineup at the moment and it assumes Nick Suzuki and Jake Evans get sent to the AHL:

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - X (Poehling's spot to lose imo)
Armia - Kotkaniemi - Lekhonen
Byron - Cousins/Thompson - Weal

I'm hate to be negative... (lol) but that is an awful lineup. If this team makes the playoffs it will be because the division is so weak, nothing more.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I'm hate to be negative... (lol) but that is an awful lineup. If this team makes the playoffs it will be because the division is so weak, nothing more.

The division is one of if not the strongest in the NHL. Habs will have decent moments but they aren't making the playoffs...I see Columbus dropping out and being replaced by one of Florida/NJ.

I see the current Habs as a playoff bubble team on the outside looking in and a 9-10th place finish in the East. Perhaps bad enough to get a real chance at a top 3 pick, one can hope...

Last edited:

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
The division is one of if not the strongest in the NHL. Habs will have decent moments but they aren't making the playoffs...I see Columbus dropping out and being replaced by one of Florida/NJ.

I see the current Habs as a playoff bubble team on the outside looking in and a 9-10th place finish in the East. Perhaps bad enough to get a real chance at a top 3 pick, one can hope...
Once again treading water.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Once again treading water.

I think it's been well established that Bergevin bought himself some time with the top ranked prospects. There are no expectations for 2019-2020 in terms of playoffs at the NHL level , if most of our prospects progress and Laval makes the playoffs it will be considered a success. If they surprise and make the playoffs it will be seen like the miracle on ice...

Pretty sad I must say when thinking of how dominant this franchise once was...We are starved for elite offensive players and the allure of even the most promising prospects wears off quickly when we see so many young players dominate around the league. Until one of our young prospects puts up serious points at the NHL level fans will continue to starve for elite point production. I mean how far do we have to go back for a perrenial ppg player?

Reactions: montreal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->