Player Discussion Matthew Peca: Pecachu (12/12/19: Out 6 Weeks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
But you have a max (5) vets you can play in the AHL.

Ouellet, Alzner, Peca, Weise, Hudon, Grenier (?)....

Peca at 750,000 could be traded for a pick...
Grenier won't be resigned and Hudon will likely be claimed if he's sent down.

I agree Peca is most likely in Laval next year. Which is not a bad thing for our farm club.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“Absolutely. It's one of the greatest team and greatest organization in the world (Montreal Canadiens). Petawawa in Ontario (hometown). It's about two hours in the west of Ottawa. For a goal no, I've no idea. (goal bonus). I can play jazz (piano). Pecs (nickname).”

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
But you have a max (5) vets you can play in the AHL.

Ouellet, Alzner, Peca, Weise, Hudon, Grenier (?)....

Peca at 750,000 could be traded for a pick...

I think the rule is on how many notional vets you can dress in AHL. You could have 6 or 7 on roster but only dress 5 at a time.

Rule is of the 18 skaters dressed, 12 must have less than 260 professional games (NHL/AHL/Europe) and one more can be over 260 but less than 320. Peca at 263 pro games could be that guy for 57 games until he hits 320.

Reactions: Paddyjack

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
With Weal and Thompson back, I bet you Peca is involved in a trade at some point.

Would any team want to give anything up for him? I assumed he'd be assigned to Laval and clear waivers. Would be interesting if MB could get something useful for him like a Weal (via Chaput) or Folin (via Froese).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Would any team want to give anything up for him? I assumed he'd be assigned to Laval and clear waivers. Would be interesting if MB could get something useful for him like a Weal (via Chaput) or Folin (via Froese).

More like Peca being a addition to a deal if we get in on one. If the larger type trade don't materialize, It would be smarter to see what you can get for him before other teams have full rosters. Otherwise, we risk losing him on waivers cause he is ask risk.

10 pts in 39 games with 3 goals is not terrible for the minutes he played. Not sure what we can get in return but I think he might be one Bergevin tries to flip.

Would he clear waivers is the question?

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Lots of wheels, and then a bunch of nothing. Obviously this was never a deal that would completely take us down but for what he brings he's a bit of a drag taking a roster/contract spot and $1.3M in cap space. This is why you don't give multi year contracts to players who have proven nothing.

Reactions: Redux91

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I think the rule is on how many notional vets you can dress in AHL. You could have 6 or 7 on roster but only dress 5 at a time.

Rule is of the 18 skaters dressed, 12 must have less than 260 professional games (NHL/AHL/Europe) and one more can be over 260 but less than 320. Peca at 263 pro games could be that guy for 57 games until he hits 320.

I think you are correct. At least, in EHM sim that is how it works.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
More like Peca being a addition to a deal if we get in on one. If the larger type trade don't materialize, It would be smarter to see what you can get for him before other teams have full rosters. Otherwise, we risk losing him on waivers cause he is ask risk.

10 pts in 39 games with 3 goals is not terrible for the minutes he played. Not sure what we can get in return but I think he might be one Bergevin tries to flip.

Would he clear waivers is the question?

I think he would. At this point I see him as having negative value. If part of his salary didn't count against the cap, he may have some value. But he's not that good/usefull and takes up cap space - whether in the press box or even in the AHL.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Lots of wheels, and then a bunch of nothing. Obviously this was never a deal that would completely take us down but for what he brings he's a bit of a drag taking a roster/contract spot and $1.3M in cap space. This is why you don't give multi year contracts to players who have proven nothing.

He doesn't take up a roster spot if sent to Laval - and if he's sent to Laval, he only counts for about 350 or 450K against the cap. He didn't work out. It happens. I'm glad Weal is so far. Worst case, add that 350K or 450K to Weal's 1.4 million salary, and we have Weal at 1.85 million, and Peca in the minors in case of injury. My impression is that Weal will bring more than a 1.85 million player this year.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
He doesn't take up a roster spot if sent to Laval - and if he's sent to Laval, he only counts for about 350 or 450K against the cap. He didn't work out. It happens. I'm glad Weal is so far. Worst case, add that 350K or 450K to Weal's 1.4 million salary, and we have Weal at 1.85 million, and Peca in the minors in case of injury. My impression is that Weal will bring more than a 1.85 million player this year.

One more year of Peca certainly isn't the end of the world but if he doesn't improve, which is unlikely at his age, having him isn't helping us in any way. A very minor drag that we can easily live with but still.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Why does this non-factor guy even have a thread? :laugh:

Send him through waivers as soon as the season starts. Nothing to see here, just more deppppppppppppp.

Reactions: Chez Jesperi

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
One more year of Peca certainly isn't the end of the world but if he doesn't improve, which is unlikely at his age, having him isn't helping us in any way. A very minor drag that we can easily live with but still.

After signing Alzner, Schlemko, etc... two summers ago, that he went all in on speed last summer is overall a very good thing - even if one of his acquisitions (Peca) was a bust.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
He'll either be in Laval (I don't see him getting claimed off of waivers) or the press box (if there are no injuries). In my book he's behind Thompson and Dlo, who I have as 13th and 14th forwards respectively.

I think he would. At this point I see him as having negative value. If part of his salary didn't count against the cap, he may have some value. But he's not that good/usefull and takes up cap space - whether in the press box or even in the AHL.

My problem is that Peca got overpayed on his contract... Too much. It's not end of word tho. But it was such a weirdest signing.

Hes probably going to get sent down to Laval for next season
I doubt anyone picks him up with that cap hit. It will be nice to have some good help for Evans, Suzuki, Poehling, Teasdale, Brook and Fleury. The AHL team needs to be competitive this upcoming season.
It's a great news for Laval if it happens.

That would be really good for the Rocket
In which line he'd be? Will he be like star there?

Very likely unless he is picked up by Arizona or something. He is done here. The fourth line was leaking goals against until Thomson and Weal were acquired. He has great speed and nice hands but his low IQ on both ends is his biggest problem.
It's not a flop but not a success story too.

Perfect veteran player for Laval. Laval has to be better
Not such as a veteran. But his possible arrival there would be welcomed with open arms.

A gamble that failed... now let's trade him with salary
retained if needed too or buy him out or play him with the Rocket (but he counts as a vet...)
I'd play him with the Rocket...

It'd be cheaper just to keep him in the minors than buying him out.
The minors is my option #1.

With Weal and Thompson back, I bet you Peca is involved in a trade at some point. More like Peca being a addition to a deal if we get in on one. If the larger type trade don't materialize, It would be smarter to see what you can get for him before other teams have full rosters. Otherwise, we risk losing him on waivers cause he is ask risk.

What type of trade?

Rule is of the 18 skaters dressed, 12 must have less than 260 professional games (NHL/AHL/Europe) and one more can be over 260 but less than 320. Peca at 263 pro games could be that guy for 57 games until he hits 320
So from now does he count as a veteran? The constraint to be one of them is to play 320 games right... So he just being included as a skater over 260 games among that 18 skates rules?

Lots of wheels, and then a bunch of nothing. Obviously this was never a deal that would completely take us down but for what he brings he's a bit of a drag taking a roster/contract spot and $1.3M in cap space. This is why you don't give multi year contracts to players who have proven nothing. One more year of Peca certainly isn't the end of the world but if he doesn't improve, which is unlikely at his age, having him isn't helping us in any way. A very minor drag that we can easily live with but still.
In 82 games, he can play some games. Not them all. He sure can help. He doens't suck as far I remember.

Why does this non-factor guy even have a thread? :laugh:

Send him through waivers as soon as the season starts. Nothing to see here, just more deppppppppppppp.
Liberty. Equality. Fraternity. To all of our players. Without any exceptions...

Peca, one of the most useless UFA signings last Summer.
MB tried to recopy the Lightning'ish model... It was another precipitation from him.

Maybe if he plays in Laval he can learn a thing or two with Bouchard.
He sure will learn many things. And why not giving to us and himself some market value. He knows the AHL very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->