Matthew Duchene

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Was Duchene the best player available in the OHL draft this past spring? He has just committed now to Brampton after saying he was going to play US College. Can he put up similar numbers that Stamkos put up last year?

If not the best player, he was certainly the best forward available in the OHL draft IMO. Some teams might have preferred Fowler if they wanted a defenseman.

His overall skill set is very comparable to Stamkos' coming out of minor midget - world class speed, hands and shot. I doubt that he puts up the same numbers as Stamkos as a 16-year-old, for 2 reasons: (1) Brampton plays a much less wide-open, run-and-gun style than Sarnia does, and (2) Brampton rolls 4 lines as much or more than any team in the league, whereas Sarnia rides 2-3 lines.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
If not the best player, he was certainly the best forward available in the OHL draft IMO. Some teams might have preferred Fowler if they wanted a defenseman.

His overall skill set is very comparable to Stamkos' coming out of minor midget - world class speed, hands and shot. I doubt that he puts up the same numbers as Stamkos as a 16-year-old, for 2 reasons: (1) Brampton plays a much less wide-open, run-and-gun style than Sarnia does, and (2) Brampton rolls 4 lines as much or more than any team in the league, whereas Sarnia rides 2-3 lines.

Just not very honest about what his intentions are. I would not hold it against Duchene -- or any player -- if they came out and said there only x number of OHL teams I will consider playing for. If any other team drafts, me, I will not report. It's a bit manipulative, but at least it's honest and straightforward. None of this "Oh, my education is really important to me, I want to go to college" crap. That whole charade was manufactured by his agent, probably, so I shouldn't dump on the kid too much, I guess. Maybe he just needs to hire a new agent before he gets to the NHL.

JumboJoe19

Hank027
Aug 4, 2007
Toronto
i think duchene is better than stamkos going into his rookie season, i saw duchene play last yr, he's extremly talented and i played against stamkos, i think duchene will tear it up this yr in the O.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Just not very honest about what his intentions are. I would not hold it against Duchene -- or any player -- if they came out and said there only x number of OHL teams I will consider playing for. If any other team drafts, me, I will not report. It's a bit manipulative, but at least it's honest and straightforward. None of this "Oh, my education is really important to me, I want to go to college" crap. That whole charade was manufactured by his agent, probably, so I shouldn't dump on the kid too much, I guess. Maybe he just needs to hire a new agent before he gets to the NHL.

So if you're an OHL team owner or GM, you'd rather have your team be one of the few that the player specifically rejects before the draft, rather than finding out after the draft he rejected all except one?

And judging by your comments, I think you misunderstand the role of the agent. It's to do everything he can to achieve the wishes and optimal results for the player and his family. Period. And it's not personal, it's just business. The OHL teams certainly look at it that way.

As an aside, Duchene has three uncles who all played in the NCAA on scholarship, one of whom also played in the OHL (back when you could) and is now the assistant coach of the Anaheim Ducks. I'm sure the family has a handle on what it should be doing better than you do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->