Matthew Carle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I haven't read much about him since he was drafted last year in the second round by the San Jose Sharks. In any other draft, he would have easily been a first round pick IMO. I heard he did poorly at the WJCs. Any truth to this? I know that he is a pretty good skater, and that he has very good offensive potential.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Carle was on the ice at the end of every game. He was beat wide a few times, but he isn't used to the big ice. The American coach obviously relied upon him and trusted him.

He was flat out awesome for Denver this year. Was a great pick for the Sharks. Spang was a first rounder a year before, and Carle is much better than he is.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Wild GM said:
Carle was on the ice at the end of every game. He was beat wide a few times, but he isn't used to the big ice. The American coach obviously relied upon him and trusted him.

He was flat out awesome for Denver this year. Was a great pick for the Sharks. Spang was a first rounder a year before, and Carle is much better than he is.

Somehow I knew you'd be the one commenting on this thread! ;)

db23

Matt had a better freshman season in the WCHA than Ryan Suter did. Except for an injury that cost him some games, he might have won the top Freshman Award.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Wild GM said:

Spang was a second rounder in 02 (Morris was the 1st rounder). They are similar types of player. I dont expect either one to standout in the NHL however I do like Carle more. I think he could be a Stuart-lite.

Hockeycrazed07

Jun 15, 2002
Buena Vista, VA
www.hockeycrazed.com
So if I understand Patty, Carle will fumble the puck from the point on the PP, as well, leading to short-handed chances, too? ;)

Carle's not anywhere near the hitter that Stuart is when Stuey's healthy. Of course, since the concussion last year...

~Crazed.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
db23 said:
Matt had a better freshman season in the WCHA than Ryan Suter did. Except for an injury that cost him some games, he might have won the top Freshman Award.

Depending upon what you are basing your Suter/Carle comparison on, I beg to differ. I thought Suter was outstanding this season as I thought Carle was. Carle put up better numbers but I thought Suter was good in other areas. He was physical alot, he played against all of the top opposing forwards, WCHA or otherwise, and was generally solid all around. I thought Carle started off the year slow, but really blossomed, especially after the WJC. He looked more confident out there and played like a man on a mission on most nights.

BTW, Carle would've had to beat out Brady Murray, not Suter, to win the WCHA Rookie of the Year.

db23

Oilers Chick said:
Depending upon what you are basing your Suter/Carle comparison on, I beg to differ. I thought Suter was outstanding this season as I thought Carle was. Carle put up better numbers but I thought Suter was good in other areas. He was physical alot, he played against all of the top opposing forwards, WCHA or otherwise, and was generally solid all around. I thought Carle started off the year slow, but really blossomed, especially after the WJC. He looked more confident out there and played like a man on a mission on most nights.

BTW, Carle would've had to beat out Brady Murray, not Suter, to win the WCHA Rookie of the Year.

I know that Murrey won the award, but my statement stands. I think that Suter and Carle were the All Freshman defence choices. If Carle had played the full season he would have been the top freshman in the WCHA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad