Matthew Campanga's penalty shot goal at U-17's

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Just found it myself to see it for the first time. It was alright. Not the most amazing thing ever, but a nice move.

Canuck71*

Just found it myself to see it for the first time. It was alright. Not the most amazing thing ever, but a nice move.

From a 16 year old, in a clutch situation that could seal the win for your team? Gotta have some balls to go for a move like that and pull it off as smoothly as he did. Goal deserves some recognition.

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
It isn't nearly as hard as you may think. The goalie bit and he never even showed shot.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Campanga?

Is this video in post #2 correct? I don't know who this Matthew Campanga is, but that is not who took that penalty shot. If you look at the first few seconds of the video it looks like the kid shooting is "Ontario" or something.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Is this video in post #2 correct? I don't know who this Matthew Campanga is, but that is not who took that penalty shot. If you look at the first few seconds of the video it looks like the kid shooting is "Ontario" or something.

They all wear Ontario on their jersey backs.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
From a 16 year old, in a clutch situation that could seal the win for your team? Gotta have some balls to go for a move like that and pull it off as smoothly as he did. Goal deserves some recognition.

This.

You can argue it's not the hardest of shootout moves (which it isn't), but to pull it off in that situation is insane. Gold Medal game, playing for your country/province, penalty shot with 5 mins left (CAN had a 4-3 lead his goal would end it). To be that confident to pull of a move like that is pretty damn impressive for a 16 year old.

TheNorth

Better Call Saul
Feb 16, 2010
Think he is first round material? He is doing alright as a rookie, in Sudbury usually rookies do bad

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
This.

You can argue it's not the hardest of shootout moves (which it isn't), but to pull it off in that situation is insane. Gold Medal game, playing for your country/province, penalty shot with 5 mins left (CAN had a 4-3 lead his goal would end it). To be that confident to pull of a move like that is pretty damn impressive for a 16 year old.

Why? It's your turn for the shootout and you wanna win. So you try a move that no one has done yet in the shootout round.

Players know this is a legit move to score now, they aren't scared to do it, and it's certainly not hard to do at all.

No balls needed.

I would say if he came in and fired a slapshot, that would take balls to try with the game on the line!

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga

The Team Canada player was born the year of that goal, believe it or not.
Think he is first round material? He is doing alright as a rookie, in Sudbury usually rookies do bad

I wouldn't be surprised. Pretty safe to say he'd be a top 60 pick IMO, though as you said he does play in Sudbury.
Why? It's your turn for the shootout and you wanna win. So you try a move that no one has done yet in the shootout round.

Players know this is a legit move to score now, they aren't scared to do it, and it's certainly not hard to do at all.

No balls needed.

I would say if he came in and fired a slapshot, that would take balls to try with the game on the line!

This wasn't a shootout.

It was a penalty shot in a Gold Medal game with 5 mins left. With some of the best 16 year olds in the world. His team was up 4-3, if he doesn't score there USA can easily gain momentum and tie the game up.

It was a great move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad