Prospect Info: Matthew Boldy, Left Winger, 12th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I have more faith in the other 3 than I do him, simply because of the hockey sense they have all displayed... that's all I'm saying.

I haven't completely given up on him, I just don't have near as much faith in him getting to the top of his potential as the others.

That’s fair. I really hope he can prove you wrong. I hesitate to put too much stock into next season if the young guys have down years, because there will be quite a bit of pressure on them to produce, but as they approach the 25-30 age range, I think they’ll start making great strides.

Reactions: TaLoN

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He's played both, has the size to do well at either... is a good distributor... why wouldn't you give him the chance to sink or swim at the position?

I would, I just don't think he does.

For the record, he'd be my first choice at 42. I just don't think he ends up a center. I could be wrong.

Wild4Cup

Jun 13, 2019
After sleeping the night and reading all the scouting reports and comments, can't really be mad about this pick. Yes he is yet another LHS winger but in a few years time when this kid will be ready no-one knows how many of the current Wild players will be here. And even if there's still abundance of LWs by the time he arrives, he projects to be better than any of our current player in that position outside of maybe Kaprizov. Can't think that's a bad thing? There's still the center problem that has to be solved but neither Krebs nor Newhook would've been a slam dunk star. If they thought that Boldy was the bpa like they obviously felt, then I'm happy with this pick. Only time will tell how this is going to turn out. Hopefully they have a plan to fix the center problem some other way then.

Reactions: Fremitus Borealis

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Anyone have a scouting report on him? Is he more of a project pick, or how ready is he?
He's not a project. One of the more " sure thing" picks in the draft. I have next to no concerns about his game, just don't know where we are gonna put all the LW's, unless he can play C.

Reactions: Lapa

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
After sleeping the night and reading all the scouting reports and comments, can't really be mad about this pick. Yes he is yet another LHS winger but in a few years time when this kid will be ready no-one knows how many of the current Wild players will be here. And even if there's still abundance of LWs by the time he arrives, he projects to be better than any of our current player in that position outside of maybe Kaprizov. Can't think that's a bad thing? There's still the center problem that has to be solved but neither Krebs nor Newhook would've been a slam dunk star. If they thought that Boldy was the bpa like they obviously felt, then I'm happy with this pick. Only time will tell how this is going to turn out. Hopefully they have a plan to fix the center problem some other way then.
I would hope that Boldy is ready in two years.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Last night I was disappointed in the pick, because I thought we could get Newhook or Krebs, or maybe even trade back and get them if teams were looking for Boldy or Knight. But I slept on it.

One question: Is there any chance Boldy plays center? Fenton mentioned it and he has skill enough for it. US team was stacked with centers, so he played wing, but that will not always be the case.

Kase

May 1, 2016
Last night I was disappointed in the pick, because I thought we could get Newhook or Krebs, or maybe even trade back and get them if teams were looking for Boldy or Knight. But I slept on it.

One question: Is there any chance Boldy plays center? Fenton mentioned it and he has skill enough for it. US team was stacked with centers, so he played wing, but that will not always be the case.
I think I saw some tweet not long ago that before joining the USDP he had always been playing as a center. Don't know if this is true or not.

Oh Fenton said something about Boldy possibly playing as a center?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I think I saw some tweet not long ago that before joining the USDP he had always been playing as a center. Don't know if this is true or not.

Oh Fenton said something about Boldy possibly playing as a center?
He just mentioned that he has player center in the past. Not that he envisioned him as a center.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I don't really follow these players pre-draft that much and know basically nothing about Boldy (the only concrete opinion I was comfortable having this year is that Kakko is and will be better than Hughes - so the Devils once again picked the wrong player 1st overall), but the thing I'm more interested in is just drafting in general. And in terms of the trends around drafting, the one thing that immediately jumped to me is how stacked the USNTDP was this year. There ended up being like seven or something players drafted from there in the 1st round.

That raises some questions to me. When you have a super strong team like that, often playing against weak competition, it can be really difficult to recognize who actually are the drivers there and who are the passengers. The weaknesses of players can become really well hidden in an environment like that. So I'm really curious to see how many of these guys drafted from that team will actually make it as impact players in the NHL. Have a feeling we're going to seeing some busts.

If I'm not mistaken Boldy will join McBain (from last draft) in Boston College next season? Based on last season McBain looks like bust, but still them playing on the same team is cool I guess. They will probably be a better team next season too so maybe they could both have productive seasons.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
From Russo's article:

“First guy on the ice every single day. That’s without question,” the coach said. “He shows up every single day, first guy on the ice. So he’ll sprint out of the weight room and then he’ll be in his equipment before you know it and he’s asking (assistant coach) Dan Hinote for one-timers and everything else.
“I can’t tell you enough the unique skill set that he has. The physical attributes are all there and then he’s got this innate work ethic that derives somewhere between his father being a Massachusetts state trooper and him just being so confident.”

Kase

May 1, 2016
He just mentioned that he has player center in the past. Not that he envisioned him as a center.
I too think that he has the skills for it. But if he is going to play wing again in BC, it might be hard for him to be as effective as a center than as a winger once he gets to the nhl. Even if he has played center before, 4 ish years is a long time to not to play the position.

So what is BC's center depth like? Thinking if he has a chance to play as a center there.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
From Russo's article:

“First guy on the ice every single day. That’s without question,” the coach said. “He shows up every single day, first guy on the ice. So he’ll sprint out of the weight room and then he’ll be in his equipment before you know it and he’s asking (assistant coach) Dan Hinote for one-timers and everything else.
“I can’t tell you enough the unique skill set that he has. The physical attributes are all there and then he’s got this innate work ethic that derives somewhere between his father being a Massachusetts state trooper and him just being so confident.”

It's cool hearing stuff like that for sure. Makes me wonder though why you never hear the opposite about players. "Yeah he's usually the last one out there. Gets really busy playing Pokemon in the locker room. Just kinda coasts on skill and spends a lot of time on Twitter." :laugh:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
well nothing wrong with the player , i just dont see the need for another LW. cupboard empty no potential #1 C's; no potential #1 rw hmmmmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad