Prospect Info: Matthew Boldy, Left Winger, 12th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
From what I've read he excels at both L&R wing. Makes me feel even better about this pick.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Interesting from the guy that coached Hughes as well.

Pronman mentioned that during one month of the season Boldy looked better than Hughes in pretty much every game, but he was inconsistent throughout the year.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
BPA is an great concept until it isn't the position that you want.

I tend to think of drafting for position in regards to the prospect pipeline and guys under 22ish rather than the actual roster.

So with that in mind, our best LWer after Kaprizov is Greenway and Dewar? Sure LW may not be our weakest position in the prospect pipeline but man that really lacks skill. So picking Boldy still fits the "pick for position" approach, which I am all for. I actually personally prefer this approach over the blind BPA.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I tend to think of drafting for position in regards to the prospect pipeline and guys under 22ish rather than the actual roster.

So with that in mind, our best LWer after Kaprizov is Greenway and Dewar? Sure LW may not be our weakest position in the prospect pipeline but man that really lacks skill. So picking Boldy still fits the "pick for position" approach, which I am all for.

Under 22ish probably still includes Donato and Fiala, though Fenton has called the latter a RW.

And I'm pretty sure Dewar is a center and Kaprizov I know has spent time on the right side (not sure if it's him preferring it or just circumstance).

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

So with that in mind, our best LWer after Kaprizov is Greenway and Dewar? Sure LW may not be our weakest position in the prospect pipeline but man that really lacks skill. So picking Boldy still fits the "pick for position" approach, which I am all for. I actually personally prefer this approach over the blind BPA.
LHS forwards(mostly wings)
Parise
Zucker
Fiala
Donato
Greenway
KK
Ek
Sturm
Rask
Giroux
Khovanov
Dewar
Shaw
Sokolov

RHS forwards
Kunin
Lodnia
I am sure there are more...somewhere

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I remember Steve kourniapous saying that he thinks boldy can be a seller caliber winger.

I’ve never heard of him playing the middle, but I think he’s a smart enough player to do it. I’d rather have him on the wing at 30+40 than down the middle and at 25+35, though

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Before I even dare read half of your idiotic reactions and half of your sensible reactions, I will give my reaction.

Boldy was ranked on major to minor draft lists at (random):
9 - Hockey Prospect
11- Bob
8- Pronman
11- Beat Writers Draft
5- Button
6- Sporting News

Guess what? We picked BPA besides Caufield. There's a reason he fell to 15. I'm not saying he won't be an NHLer or a real goal scorer, but Boldy is a good skater, not great, which can be helped, has a very high IQ- a feature most scouts covet above all else- and super high end skill in both passing, making plays, and is a good shooter as well. He is a big man who can skate well, better than many guys his size with his skill set at his age.

Krebs, Newhook, Caufield, I would have been happy with ALL the picks. I'm VERY happy with this one. I was afraid Fenton would screw this up but he didn't.

Pronman says that he's an ultra skilled and intelligent winger who you could argue is ahead of Kirill Kaprizov. Wow. Pronman isn't gospel, but it's a good pick. It's a very good pick.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The more I read, the more I love it. How great is it to finally have another quality prospect?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The more I read, the more I love it. How great is it to finally have another quality prospect?

I haven’t been this excited for a pick since Dumba. I’m shocked that he fell to 12. I was pretty vehemently anti LW and anti RD going into tonight, but that was before Boldy was sitting there.

Then I was sure Philly was going to take him after Anaheim took Zegras. Then Arizona traded up to take Soderstrom?

And when they started saying the player we were taking was from the USNTDP I was just praying they would pick the right one. Such a fantastic pick.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Nice pick, didn't think he'd drop this far. Good job Fenton!

Reactions: AKL

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'm just glad we got a guy who has high end puck skills! He may not play the puck with "pizazz" so to speak (not going to go on a spree of dangles), but his puck handling and passing ability is undeniable!

Factor in top grade hockey IQ and he has the makings of a potential high end player!

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Anyone have a scouting report on him? Is he more of a project pick, or how ready is he?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Anyone have a scouting report on him? Is he more of a project pick, or how ready is he?
Pronman: 2019 NHL Draft pick-by-pick breakdown of the first...

Minnesota Wild: Matthew Boldy, LW, USNTDP-USHL

April 5, 2001 | 6-foot-2 | 187 pounds

Boldy didn’t join the USNTDP as a top prospect, in fact, he was on the bubble to make the team. A sudden growth spurt combined with a great skill level spiked his prospect stock. Boldy is a unique winger in how he plays the game. His combination of puck skills and hockey IQ are among the best in the draft. His hand-eye coordination is off the charts. Pucks stick to him. He’s also incredibly creative and made some of the best passes I saw all season. I wouldn’t call him a natural playmaker, though; he prefers to play below the dots and around the net rather than QB a power play. While he’s a great passer, Boldy has a quality shot and was often used as a trigger guy from the slot. Boldy’s consistency was an issue this season. When competing hard, he’s often catching unsuspecting players on the backcheck and gets to the net to score. However, he had stretches this season where he didn’t impact games, and sometimes they were long stretches. His main weakness over the years was his skating. I think it’s improved to an average level, but he’s not a powerful skater and his stride could be cleaned up.

USNTDP U18 coach John Wroblewski on Boldy: “Boldy grew from 5-foot-10 to 6-foot-2. His development trajectory has been steep. He can be a power forward. He has excellent hands and vision. He can finish, he can run a power play, he can be a net-front guy. The puck is attached to him.”

Team Fit: In Boldy, the Wild get a prospect I am a big believer in. He’s an ultra skilled and intelligent winger who you could argue is ahead of Kirill Kapriov in the Minnesota organization. Boldy may need a little time to adjust to the pro pace, but he has massive upside and, in a thin Wild system, this changes the perpsective of their farm system significantly.

Guessing 1yr in college... MAYBE 2.

Reactions: Lapa

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Just turned 18. He could spend 2 years in college, 1 year in the AHL, and still make his NHL debut as a 21 year old (and not turn 22 until the end of the year).

I don't think he's a "project" but we should let him do his thing all the way up the ladder.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Under 22ish probably still includes Donato and Fiala, though Fenton has called the latter a RW.

And I'm pretty sure Dewar is a center and Kaprizov I know has spent time on the right side (not sure if it's him preferring it or just circumstance).

I'm pretty confident Kaprizov is a RW. A lot of Russians play on their off wing. I know Fiala has too (played RW), so I'm comfortable with him on RW for the next year or two, but I think in the future you've got

Boldy-x-Kaprizov
Fiala-x-Kunin

If Kunin doesn't cut it as top 6 winger (which I still have faith he will be), you can slide Fiala over and play Donato at 2LW and Kunin at 3RW.

Just turned 18. He could spend 2 years in college, 1 year in the AHL, and still make his NHL debut as a 21 year old (and not turn 22 until the end of the year).

I don't think he's a "project" but we should let him do his thing all the way up the ladder.

Definitely on board with letting him take his time. I don't think he spends more than 2 years at college, and 1 year in the AHL. I think 2022-23 is the absolute latest we see him in the NHL full time. I really do believe at this point he'll be on the roster for the 2021-22 season. That gives him two years, either one and done in college and one and done in the AHL, or two in college and straight to the NHL. He's got an NHL ready physique, it's just a matter of getting him used to the speed and physical play of the NHL. Which is why my hunch is he'll do one year in the NCAA and then one year in the AHL.

Not trying to rush him, that's just what I feel is realistic.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

I get that... I was just showing what I'm guessing will be the path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->