Prospect Info: Matthew Boldy, Left Winger, 12th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but a lot has changed since those guys were in their development years.

Really? Kunin and Eriksson-Ek both came after Bourdeau signed - As well Bourdeau argued to have Coyle as a 2nd line center, but was overruled for whatever reason. El Nino's best year was the first season under Bourdeau and then he plummeted.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Really? Kunin and Eriksson-Ek both came after Bourdeau signed - As well Bourdeau argued to have Coyle as a 2nd line center, but was overruled for whatever reason. El Nino's best year was the first season under Bourdeau and then he plummeted.

Please don't derail the Boldy thread.

Easy enough to create a thread about our developmental capabilities.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
When the All-American Prospects game was played at the Xcel back in September, I went there with the intention of watching Hughes and his cohort, Cole Caufield up close and personal. I had front row seats in one of the corners. I got to see a lot of really good players that played in a fun back-and-forth game. Hughes, Caufield, Zegras, York, the list goes on. Lots of really great players.

But the one player that really, really stuck out was Matthew Boldy. He scored a few goals, was involved in multiple scoring chances, and was just tenacious in almost everything he did. I had a big write-up on another forum but I can't find that post or else I'd copy+paste it here. Absolutely love the pick.

He can play on the left or right side, he can play on the powerplay, penalty kill, even strength, the list goes on. To me - this is my impressions based on one game in person + about 10 I watched from the comfort of my couch, plus pretty much any article I could read on him - he could be a winger version of Patrice Bergeron. Powerful, smart, always in the right spot. He'll put up points, he'll defend leads, and he will be relied on in all situations. Regardless of the fact we have Parise, Donato, Zucker, Kaprizov, Greenway for him to contend with, he'll figure out a way to play in the top six. One, maybe two years in college, maybe one season in the AHL, and he'll be contributing from the 3rd line in 2-3 years with plenty of pressure to go up the lineup.

Absolutely love this pick. He was my #1 semi-realistic target for Fenton to go after but I really thought he would be long-gone. Love it.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Sorry, as far as Kunin and Ek go I didn’t think we were silly enough to insinuate that they were done developing. My bad.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Please don't derail the Boldy thread.

Easy enough to create a thread about our developmental capabilities.

I'm not; I'm throwing in my concerns regarding having another elite two-way forward when we have show very little ability to develop their offensive abilities.

I'm not down on Boldy, but I have concerns that we'll be able to develop him into a top 6 forward. Especially if Bourdeau isn't extended or let go. I'd like to have had Newhook or Caufield as we haven't had a pure offensive talent since Gaborik...maybe Granlund.

Reactions: BlackBusa24

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm not; I'm throwing in my concerns regarding having another elite two-way forward when we have show very little ability to develop their offensive abilities.

We "developed" their abilities. Nino had a 26 goal 57 point season; Coyle had a 58 point season; Granlund had 2 20+ goal, 60+ point season; Zucker had a 30+ goal, 60+ point season. It's not the teams' fault that they couldn't keep it up. Injuries, life or whatever it was.

Reactions: Chokey McChokerston

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
The team that couldn't develop Coyle, el Nino, Eriksson-Ek, Kunin as nothing more than depth players is known for developing offensive talent.
None of those players have the skill of Boldy, save maybe Nino. Nino had some bad stretches but to say he is a depth player just isn’t accurate.

This was a good pick.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Love the pick, but we need to find a way to get a center-iceman. Who wants to go all in on Duchene?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
None of those players have the skill of Boldy, save maybe Nino. Nino had some bad stretches but to say he is a depth player just isn’t accurate.

This was a good pick.

We'll see; Boldy seems a lot like Coyle, when Coyle first came out.

As for el Nino, we used him as a depth player. He didn't get a lot of ice time here.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So;
Parise
Fiala
Donato
Zucker
Greenway
Boldy

All LHS wings. Boldy looks to be a good safe pick. I'm shocked that EDM or BUF didn't pick him...but for us? Unless Fenton is planning to go all in on Duchene, then WTF? Has Fenton never heard of strategic planning? We've got a talent deficit at RW and C, and are already overloaded at LW, so he picks a LW?

Reactions: BlackBusa24

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
So;
Parise
Fiala
Donato
Zucker
Greenway
Boldy

All LHS wings. Boldy looks to be a good safe pick. I'm shocked that EDM or BUF didn't pick him...but for us? Unless Fenton is planning to go all in on Duchene, then WTF? Has Fenton never heard of strategic planning? We've got a talent deficit at RW and C, and are already overloaded at LW, so he picks a LW?
Don’t forget Kaprizov

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Okay, so after working outside for 30 minutes and trying to rationalize this, I'm not as pissed off about this, but damn....so many left-wingers. Zucker is gone, but still....

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
What? I'm serious; why would Duchene want to be here if we have two established centers?

As for Boldy, what? 4 years isn't a bad projection for him.

Because one has a 1 year contract, the other has a 2 year contract, and they're both over 35 years old?

I actually don't necessarily disagree with 4 years. Maybe shorten to 3 if he has a great freshman year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad