Prospect Info: Matthew Boldy, Left Winger, 12th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

PariseSuterKoivu

Jul 9, 2012
dino parked himself in front of the net taking a beating to score goals , parise has tried that. i don't see caufield doing anything similar. caufield kinda zips around the ice looking for an open spot. just my one cent. boldy reminds me of a more talented coyle. (what coyle should have been) maybe caufield is similar to theo fleury or st louis
If you want to go back to a North Stars comparison for Boldy I'd suggest Tom McCarthy. Same size and skill level, though Boldy is by far a better 2 way player.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If you want to go back to a North Stars comparison for Boldy I'd suggest Tom McCarthy. Same size and skill level, though Boldy is by far a better 2 way player.
I seem to recall McCarthy being in the top 10 in scoring more than once. If Boldy can match that he'll be quite the find. That Smith, Payne, McCarthy line was lethal.

Reactions: Dickie Dunn

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
As a NHLer, Dino seemed to score a lot of dirty goals around the net. I dont remember him being strictly a perimeter scorer like Caufield is.

That's exactly what he did. That was absolutely his bread & butter (as someone mentioned) later in his years in the league. Dude was phenomenal at it and got the sh*t beat out of him just parking in front of the net for years. When he retired, Tomas Holmstrom essentially took over the title belt for the league. Caufield is almost nothing like Chickarelli was.

Reactions: Dickie Dunn

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
No qualms at all about him starting in Iowa, but if he has Eriksson-Ek-like numbers down there I hope they give him a chance in Minnesota this season (assuming the cap allows it?). Even if he doesn't make an immediate impact he seems like a player that'll develop well once he gets a taste of what the level of competition is. Give him a hurdle and he'll jump it.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I mean... this is kind of a "just do your job" sort of signing, no? I'm not sure how much easier it gets than signing your best prospect to an ELC.
Sure, but he could’ve been pushing to get him on an ATO and people would’ve flipped out.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Sure, but he could’ve been pushing to get him on an ATO and people would’ve flipped out.
I'll try (and mostly fail) to avoid micro-analyzing what happens between a GM and an agent, but pushing to get him on an ATO for this year does seem like it's overthinking things. Overthink guys like McBain and Warren; sign Boldy, burn the year and make him feel important, because he is.

And credit to Guerin, that seems to be what he did.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

ATO's aren't very realistic for a prospect of Boldy's stature. You either sign him to an ELC and play him immediately or you don't. Even Hardman got an ELC and reported to Chicago's taxi squad straight away.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'll try (and mostly fail) to avoid micro-analyzing what happens between a GM and an agent, but pushing to get him on an ATO for this year does seem like it's overthinking things. Overthink guys like McBain and Warren; sign Boldy, burn the year and make him feel important, because he is.

And credit to Guerin, that seems to be what he did.

Yeah, I agree, prospects like Boldy and Rossi aren't the guys you try to finesse the system and squeeze out every nickel, dime, loophole, and contract year on. Sign them and play them ASAP.

Reactions: Blue Ox and Bazeek

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
ATO's aren't very realistic for a prospect of Boldy's stature. You either sign him to an ELC and play him immediately or you don't. Even Hardman got an ELC and reported to Chicago's taxi squad straight away.
Yeah I don’t disagree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad