GDT: Matt Stajan's 1000th game. Also we're playing the Ducks

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Congrats to Matt Stajan for 1000 NHL games.

Matt Stajan was drafted 57th overall in 2002 by the Toronto Maple Leafs, his childhood team.

First NHL goal:

On the trade:

Leafs make Major trades {TSN Coverge} [Part 2]
Matt Stajan's Trade Reaction - 1/31/10

First Flames goal:
Matt Stajan Amazing Goal Against Carolina Hurricannes

The Emerson goal:
Penalty Shot: Matt Stajan vs Viktor Fasth

The only series clinching goal not scored by Martin Gelinas in 29 years:
Stajan buries the game-winning goal on Miller
Mic'd Up: Matt Stajan Series-Clinching Goal

just for kicks
Matt Stajan on Twitter

Matt Stajan was originally brought into the Flames expected to be a top 6 C. His numbers were admirable for the Leafs and although things didn't pan out as expected, the role he took on as bottom 6 player still helped make the Flames a better team. You won't find many Matt Stajan highlights on Youtube but the way he sacrificed everything for his team (for example in plays like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3RZeVSC_Sc) and grew into a well-respected leader in the locker-room cannot be overestimated. Happy 1000th Stajan

Last edited:

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?

happy ferland is in. got him in fantasy and thought he might be scratched after that awful turnover last game. Wish he was up with Gaudreau(who i also have in fantasy)

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Stajan seems like a great guy off the ice so sure lets celebrate that but I am getting a little tired of hearing how great these guys are and that we should take that into consideration when talking about their on ice failures.

Also if I have to hear/read the phrase "underlying numbers" again I think I am going to throw up. It seems like everytime I hear it it goes along with something like "sure the underlying numbers might not be matching up with anything on the ice but it is the on ice results that are wrong not the underlying numbers." To me it would seem like if something doesn't line up with what it is supposed perhaps they are the thing that is wrong. Also with the underlying numbers stuff it is funny how the guys that like these have also said "which lines up with what I am seeing on the ice" even though it is not close to what is happening on the ice. Not sure if they just see the game completely different from reality or if they are letting their bias towards the underlying numbers skew their view.

Anyways hooray for Stajan getting to 1,000 games he has never been a problem or question when it comes to effort or off ice performance but based on his play he really should not have reached this milestone this year. It would really be nice to see a younger guy get these minutes now that he has reached the milestone.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I've always loved Matt and what he's brought to this team. One of my favorite Flames ever. Too bad his contract was too high, but you can't blame him for that. He's put in a great effort and been a solid 4th line centre (who could have played higher IMO) for several years now.

Congrats Matt! Huge accomplishment!

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Fun fact, I believe if we lose - Oilers are officially eliminated from playoff contention.

Hopefully we win and help them with their playoff hopes ;)

Reactions: FlamerForLife

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Another day where Monahan doesn't practise but it playing the game.

Just shut him down, it's over.

Reactions: Cyrano

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Honestly I thought/think Stajan was finished before he signed that extension.

The fact he’s lasted this long is an indictment on our bottom six.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Honestly I thought/think Stajan was finished before he signed that extension.

The fact he’s lasted this long is an indictment on our bottom six.

I think he's a capable 4th line guy, and he'd be that on a lot of teams. I'd gladly bring him back on a cheap one or two year deal to be the 12/13th forward.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I probably wouldn't re-sign Staj at this point, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if he came back for a year or two. The guys 25 and under seem to have trouble handling adversity, having a stabilising presence like Matty around wouldn't be the end of the world.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Also that giveaway by Phillips on Stajan's first goal in the OP has to be the worst giveaway I've ever seen in the NHL :laugh:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Good for Stajan 1000 games in this league is quite a hard thing to do, hopefully he gets a PTO somewhere else next year.

Can't be any uglier than the last three losses................ can it?

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Stajan will sign on some contending team and be an effective 4C next year.

He is an effective player and is consistently the best non-Bennett player in the bottom six.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->