News Article: Matt Stajan is done in the NHL

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Best of luck to him in Europe.

It was a sad day when we had to initially replace Sundin with Stajan. He had a solid career, but he was never a top line guy. Funny enough he did end up playing more of his career in Calgary than in Toronto. Just hung around there for years. Not a great player, but the guy knew how to do what it took to stick around despite rarely putting up many points.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Still convinced we completely ruined an entire generation of decent leafs talent - guys who had produced before the nhl, and guys who were producing to start their nhl careers, and then just fizzled into nothing.

Steen and Stralman were lucky to escape while they could.

Like who?

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Antropov/Steen/Boyes/Wellwood/Stajan/Kulemin/Tlusty/Stralman/Cola/White/Harrison/Rask/Reimer etc.

they shouldn't have been a complete write off for us.

True, but those were different times with a different management mindset. It very easy to say coulda,woulda,shoulda after the fact.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
1000 games and over $30M earned with pretty average NHL skills. Now he goes off the the DEL to be a beer league stud. The Canadian dream. Good for you Mat.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
why?
he had 1000 games and a decent career. that's saying a lot. why shudder at that?

Because the rest of the developmental system was so bereft of actual talent that they promoted him at 19 and gave him Dave Keon's number when he came up around 2003. Our many years in the wilderness says a lot about the health of those Quinn era teams.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He was pretty good until he was 30. From 31-33 he was capable of being a solid 4C for a bubble team (like Calgary) on and off. Although he was not even worth looking at on a PTO at this point. The Leafs have a lot better, including Jooris. There is also a lot better on the free agency market right now.

He should be a good European player for the next 5 or so years. Playing in Germany is pretty nice, and he'll make some decent money to add to the good amount he's already made. There are a few other players in free agency who should strongly consider the same thing (if not flat out retiring) because they do not have enough left in the tank to play in North America.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Pretty sure I mentioned it on this board last season when he played 1000 games. There was a debate going on between my friends and I about whether or not he should be in he Hall of Fame for playing 1000 games.

tenor.gif

He grinded out a nice long career, well done Matt.

Reactions: Obliviate

Obliviate

Jun 26, 2018
Pretty sure I mentioned it on this board last season when he played 1000 games. There was a debate going on between my friends and I about whether or not he should be in he Hall of Fame for playing 1000 games.
No. He had a good career longevity-wise, but not HOF worthy.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Wont miss him. Luke Schenn's rookie year Stajan would stir it up and have a rookie fight his battles. Playing 1000 games puts you in the HOF now? He probably played 25 of them well. Buh bye Matt

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
He was a pretty good draft pick. He became NHL ready at 19 largely on his hockey intelligence. In the end he was just precocious not special. He was definitely better than the average late 2nd rounder. I've always wondered whether Calgary's long term commitment to him was about having something to show from the Phaneuf trade.

P.S. If you'd given me the over/under on him scoring more than 1 goal career playoff goal, I would have taken the over.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Imagine we actually had proper management back then.

Probably won’t trade away Rask, that’s our No.1 till now.
Stralman, Steen, Stajan....

When you find yourself having these thoughts, just remember that all those mistakes of the past brought us to where we are now.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Remember that time Stajan got into a dustup with someone and the official restrained him but kind of in a way like he was protecting him? That was weird. Not sure why I remember that.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
i remember how devastated he was to have been traded from the Leafs to Calgary. But man we had some decent young guys back in the day. Carlo Coaliacovo, Matt Stajan, Alex Steen, Stralman, Rask, Wellwood, Ian White, Kulemin etc. We drafted really well in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds back then and now we are starting to see it again now.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Antropov/Steen/Boyes/Wellwood/Stajan/Kulemin/Tlusty/Stralman/Cola/White/Harrison/Rask/Reimer etc.

they shouldn't have been a complete write off for us.

they weren't ruined. sheesh.

Reactions: kb

Obliviate

Jun 26, 2018
in your opinion
I think in most people's opinions.

Games: 1003 Goals:146Assists: 267Points: 413
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

So you're telling me these are HoF stats? Honestly? Give me a break.

Even Marty Brodeur had 47 career points as goalie!

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

It'd be the equivalent of playing over 12+ seasons without missing a game, but the point totals aren't where they should be for HOF induction. Nonetheless, it was a good NHL career.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
He played more games for the flames than the Leafs. This should be in their forum.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Remember that time Stajan got into a dustup with someone and the official restrained him but kind of in a way like he was protecting him? That was weird. Not sure why I remember that.
I too remember when that happened! I thought it was strange the referee literally cradled him into his arms as if Stajan were his own son lol

Reactions: Brown Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad