News Article: Matt Read was Playing with a High Ankle Sprain

LexSea

Queen of the Couch
Mar 31, 2014
Always liked Reader, nice to get an explanation for what the heck happened with his game this season.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
He still looks like **** contrary to a few scoring chances last few games. It has been really maddening watching this guy play this year compared to past years. His play is a big reason why we suck so far, especially on the PK.

This team has a number of problems and reasons to why we aren't contending, but Matt Read is very far down the list.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
This team has a number of problems and reasons to why we aren't contending, but Matt Read is very far down the list.

I agree, my opinion is never base any decisions you make on one really hot or poor year. Read has been a solid Flyer and one bad year is not the reason to dump him. Like any trade if its really good value great otherwise keep him. He could easily become another Williams or to a lesser degree Sharp. In the right situation when healthy this guy could blossom and if he doesn't a 20-25 goal scorer thats a great two way player is valuable.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Williams was traded at 22 & Sharp was traded at 24. Read's currently 28 (will turn 29 this June). I wouldn't push him out the door nor would I trade him for scraps but I highly doubt he does much better than what he's shown his first three years. If the Flyers can get value for him it's something that should be thought about.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Read is pretty much as good offensively as he's gonna get. Realistically, he's gonna start declining soon. Hopefully "soon" isn't "right now" since that would be early.

RJ8812*

keep playing him though! God forbid he stay out a few weeks to recover cause we need his ******* play to help up into the playoffs!

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Still 11 games until the injury. I liked Read in seasons past a lot, but 3 goals past half the season for a 20 goal scorer is unacceptable. He should have taken time off if it was an issue.

SchennSational1022*

3 goals...unbelievable. The guy cant even skate with the puck on his stick. He has to have lost every bit if confidence hes had.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
He should get a 2nd and a prospect IMO.(not a top prospect or anything...someone like Leier)

Personally...if I could...I would trade him if I could. And here is why:

We are not contending for anything without a re-vamped D. We all know this. Just look at this year...great years from lots of guys...including Mason....but no results.

We are rarely in a "sell" position. We need to take advantage of it and sell what he can.

He is not part of the core 6 forwards(G, Jake, Simmer, Schenn, Couts and Laughton).

Then who knows if we can move Umberger and Vinny...sigh.

A winger to play on your 3rd line can be found in FA. Maybe not as good offensively...but a 30 point guy can be.

Yes he pk's...and in the past has been good. But we should also look to re-vamp our bottom 6....like adding a GREAT FO guy who can be on the 4th line. Add someone with SPEED to burn as well.

We need some fresh blood in here...and we know those top 6 guys are probably not moving so it has to come from the bottom 6.

I like Read...but it is more of where we are as a team for the reason to possibly move him. Or hell...if he can be used to bring in a better Dman to the team then do it.(as part of a package)

I too would not mind if he was moved. Injury or not, there have been way to many games where he has not been a factor at all. This team needs secondary scoring in a big way. The trade deadline should be interesting to say the least.

TheSpectrum

Oct 18, 2011
Ankle sprain or not I still think the Flyers should look to move him at the deadline.

I understand he has a valuable role with the club but they have some kids in Lehigh that can maybe develop into the role next year.

I think he can return some considerable assets back to the Flyers for a team looking to improve its PK unit and 3rd line depth. That is very valuable come playoff time.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Before this year, Read was thought of as one of the untouchables on this team. A winner who we'll need come playoff time that can be effective anywhere in the lineup.

One poor season where it turns out he's been injured is not enough to change that for me. Especially since we're not in the playoff hunt this year (and not because of Read).

Sure, he has value to a lot of teams, but that's because they know he's better than what he's shown this season. So no, I don't think it's time to move Read out, unless it's in combination with one of the dead weight contracts we need to get rid of and we're getting a clearly better player in return.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Since his play has only been detrimental to the team, playing with the injury was selfish and only further incriminates him in my opinion.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's the coaches job to bench a player if he's hurting the team. Blaming Read for playing thru pain is unfair.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It's the coaches job to bench a player if he's hurting the team. Blaming Read for playing thru pain is unfair.

Depends on how much information he disclosed to the coaching/training staff about said injury.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Always liked Reader, nice to get an explanation for what the heck happened with his game this season.
What if the story was floated by the team to explain his bad year/increase his trade value?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Matt Read always struck me as a liar who would conspire with the team to fake an injury just to get himself traded.

And this tinfoil hat is really itchy.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
I too would not mind if he was moved. Injury or not, there have been way to many games where he has not been a factor at all. This team needs secondary scoring in a big way. The trade deadline should be interesting to say the least.

Matt Beleskey would be a decent replacement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad