Flyers' History: Matt Read: neither lost nor forgotten

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Wasn't there some guy from New Jersey who grew up a Flyers fan or something? Played in the NHL... San Jose and Montreal? Not sure about those teams, but somewhere similar...

Reactions: Lindberg

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I blame myself for Matt Read's demise. It was his 3rd year in the nhl , and i brought up the point that Matt Read never has bad games. He was such an underrated player those first 3 years, great at pking, our best 2 way winger, could play the pp. He and coots were a great combo as linemates or as pkers. After i made that offhand comment, he stopped playing well . It was a night and day difference.

Still i have nothing but good things to say bout Matt Read. He was one of the best college free agent signings we have ever had.

Reactions: tymed

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Buddy Robinson? He’s pretty much you obscure hockey player from South Jersey that only Isaac & Carchidi actually talk about.
That sounds about right....

Kinda wish our beat writers would mention it more because I'm super interested in non-Flyers players who were born in the same corner of the country as me.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Glad that he landed somewhere, and the Wild were the team I figured he'd end up with way back in the spring.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016

Good for him he didn't have to wait for a PTO. Still 2-way, but I hope he sticks in the NHL as a 12/13. I also didn't know he went to Bemidji State.

Lol at Fenton signing crappy 4th liners like Fehr, Hendricks and Brown just to stumble upon actually solid player in Read and have him play in Ahl.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Happy Read ended up in Minnesota...not exactly the same, but reminds me when Darrel Powe landed there. Both fan favorite 4th line guys who aren't the best anymore.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
When you're the 11th best scorer on an AHL team, your NHL future is in doubt, especially when you're undersized to boot.

Read had a great but short run for a college free agent, and is a good reason not to get over excited about college free agents, it's not like Vesey is tearing it up for the Rangers, Butcher might turn out for the Devils, but he's the exception that proves the rule.

We got three solid top 9 seasons out of him, 3 four line caliber seasons, then he went belly up at age 30.
Which isn't bad production, but isn't a needle mover either.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I will remember Matt Read as the Robin to Couturier's Batman.

Let us not forget a great quote from Hak when asked why he was dressing Lehtera over Read... "He's been with our group the whole year. He's put in the work."

Yes, Hak actually said this. Read had been on the Flyers since 2011. Had he not put in the work? f*** you, Hakstol.

I hope Read does well in Minny.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Let us not forget a great quote from Hak when asked why he was dressing Lehtera over Read... "He's been with our group the whole year. He's put in the work."

Yes, Hak actually said this. Read had been on the Flyers since 2011. Had he not put in the work? **** you, Hakstol.
haha
I wish him the best in Minny, he parlayed a couple of good years into a career where he'll make nearly 20 milly playing hockey, not bad...

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I doubt Read makes the NHL roster.
I think he has a pretty good shot. If I were a betting man I'd say he makes it. Maybe not in an impactful way, but I think he'll be in Minny to start the season. Who is his competition? JT Brown, Eric Fehr, and Matt Hendricks? Kunin I think comes in and makes that team and Matt Read I am confident can beat out one of Brown, Fehr, or Hendricks. Is there someone I am missing (I am just looking at the guys listed on CapFriendly). Either way I love Matt Read and hope he makes an NHL team somewhere if he doesn't make it in Minny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->