Flyers' History: Matt Read: neither lost nor forgotten

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
But he's back on the Flyers for the rest of the 17-18 season.
Probably because he's just an extra body in case of last minute injuries. And getting him away from the Phantoms is an excuse to play other younger players that have some potential without scratching him

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lehtera's not brain dead, he's actually pretty smart, very good at clearing the puck on the PK.
Problem is he's slooow, but he's a lot bigger than Read, so do you want the slooow guy who can at least get in someone's way or the slow roadkill?

If Read wasn't even the 5th best forward on the Phantoms does he have anything left?

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
The only reason I haven't forgotten about him is because of this thread, and even then he is a little hazy in my mind.

I thought the same exact thing when I saw this thread and that thought was followed by a second thought - oh he's pretty mediocre and not as bad as Lehtera. If we aren't going to play Leier and NAK, maybe vanilla Hakstol would play him?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
@BobRotruck
Note, no more 23-player max in NHL after trade deadline. So Flyers can carry an extra player, such as Matt Read, as long as team stays under Salary Cap.
Wonder if he will also get a look at cracking the lineup though. He's been very good with Phantoms.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Unsurprisingly he looks better on the Flyers 4th line than Lehtera.

And Weise. And Leier. And Ghoul. He's his usual play-driving, smart, reliable 4th liner self. He's better with and without the puck than all those guys.

They're even using him on PK2, late game situations on top line, empty nets.........it makes no f***ing sense. Forget them totally misevaluating, primarily based on contract situation, but now they pretend like it never happened, and he's now on what could be the playoff lineup.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
And Weise. And Leier. And Ghoul. He's his usual play-driving, smart, reliable 4th liner self. He's better with and without the puck than all those guys.

They're even using him on PK2, late game situations on top line, empty nets.........it makes no ****ing sense. Forget them totally misevaluating, primarily based on contract situation, but now they pretend like it never happened, and he's now on what could be the playoff lineup.

Its truly been a season from The Twilight Zone.

Someone photosop Hakstols head on Rod Serlings body in black and white.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It's amazing what has to happen to get an optimal lineup- injuries and calling up a vet before the deadline so you don't have to burn a recall. Game 73. Better late than never I guess. 9 games left to do something about PP2.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You're not taking playing Read seriously, are you?
10g 0-0 0 -1
Nor are his advanced stats much better.

And Weal is no better, as much as it pains me to say so, Striiker was right on this one (blind squirrels and acorns, you know).

"One way or another, this darkness got to give"

Let's just say the Flyers success or failure is unlikely to depend on 4th line personnel decisions.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Matt Read is what Hakstol thought VdV was.

giphy.gif

Now you’ve gone & done it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->