Flyers' History: Matt Read: neither lost nor forgotten

alatos

Jun 12, 2011
Weirdly enough, he was my favorite player his rookie season. I just had a big soft spot for the guy, especially with Gagne gone. He seemed like a dude that finally made it, and was proving a lot of people wrong. At least that's how remember thinking of it, but I was in high school.

Reactions: AnimalFear

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
When you get a guy like that there is the fear that he's at his peak and it'll be down hill from there, but the speed of regression was still super surprising nonetheless.

Super useful for a few years. Quite good at picking corners off a pass, when his shot took a dip it was big hit to the team.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Has he lost his game so much that he can't get on this team over Lehtera? Lehtera is terrible, but can Read actually be worse than him? I find that really hard to believe. I mean he could be since he's not even averaging 0.5 points a game in the AHL

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's probably the 5th best forward on the Phantoms, MV, NAK, Vorobyev, Knight ahead of him.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I think lehtera might actually be faster than read is now. At least I remember lightning slow breakaway attempts and his flash in the pan few games playing on the first line (and leading the league in goals??)

treeman

Feb 10, 2010
Nazareth, PA
You’re joking, right? Read is absolutely one of the worst forwards on the Phantoms.... I mean, I can’t think of anyone up front who he is better than.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
I must say I liked Read as a player - perhaps that has more to do with the fact he played for my Swedish club during the lock out.

It was sad seeing his rapid demise. Those highlights were a nice reminder of what he used to do so well.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Read got his contract then started dogging it. His greatest attribute when he came up was his motor once that went away his effectiveness as an NHL player was void.

Reactions: hatcher

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
We got him basically at his peak. It's easy to say that he was a late bloomer, but when you're not just entering the league but turning pro at age 25, you're on borrowed time since you've spent some of your prime still in college. He should've come out a year earlier and was going to. He played well long enough to get a good contract, which at the time was fine. It just didn't work out as he got older.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Last edited:

fischi

Apr 8, 2009
PA
Like he awoke one morning and could not hockey anymore. He was a decent third liner then poof.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad