Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
We totally won that trade.

STAJAN ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT

IrvDkYO.gif

giphy.gif

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Matty was never an all-star, but playing over 1000 NHL games with only two teams as a middle-six player says a lot about his character and the type of human being he is.

Coaching may be a very good option for him.

My favourite memory: vs. Canucks ploffs 2015. With all the goons (Ferland, Bollig, Engelland) on the ice, he's still the first one to drop his gloves and start chuckin' 'em.

(Okay maybe second favourite after scoring for Emerson - that one makes me feel things.)

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Matty was never an all-star, but playing over 1000 NHL games with only two teams as a middle-six player says a lot about his character and the type of human being he is.

My favourite memory: vs. Canucks ploffs 2015. With all the goons (Ferland, Bollig, Engelland) on the ice, he's still the first one to drop his gloves and start chuckin' 'em.

(Okay maybe second favourite after scoring for Emerson - that one makes me feel things.)

Good two options, but I will always remember this one myself:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Congrats on a great career Matty!

There were times when I was choked he was our key piece for Phaneuf, and his contract at one point seemed to be among the worst in the league. But Brian Sutter really helped him get his career turned around (same with Jokinen) and he really thrived in his role as a bottom 6 C, kina like what Ryan is for us now.

I will miss seeing him is his towel and he was such a good character guy who experienced a tragic loss. I wish him all the best and think he could be a great coach.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Just in time to join as an assistant coach ;)

If there isn't a spot for him on the coaching staff, even giving him some sort of player development role with young players would benefit both the organization and the kids hugely. The guy was great at taking our rookies under his wing while he was here. I remember that video of him going to each of the kids to see if they needed rides home after practise.

Benny looked up to him so much, he even modelled his hairline after him :sarcasm:

If not that, some sort of community outreach role would be awesome too.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If there isn't a spot for him on the coaching staff, even giving him some sort of player development role with young players would benefit both the organization and the kids hugely. The guy was great at taking our rookies under his wing while he was here. I remember that video of him going to each of the kids to see if they needed rides home after practise.

Benny looked up to him so much, he even modelled his hairline after him :sarcasm:

If not that, some sort of community outreach role would be awesome too.

Isn't he some sort of skills development coach right now?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I was a fan of Stajan in his time here. IMO he was unfairly requested to do far beyond what he was capable of, but he still suited up and did his best. He literally played skill line, speed line, checking role, everything thrown at him and he did his best to be adequate. Then also went from our 1C to our 4C and he was a pure consummate pro in that capacity for several seasons, stepping up whenever the team needed him. It was like a paraphrase of the Batman quote, "He was what we needed, but not what we deserved." I defended Stajan more than most and IMO I was more than happy to try and keep him in our bottom 6 much to the chagrin and laughter of others, but even I didn't realize his importance and significance to this team until he had left for Europe.

Stajan is a good guy. I'd love to keep him around in some form of either coaching/development capacity or other type of capacity. He stands with a very small group of guys who have donned the Flaming C, that represents the Flaming C in ways on and off the ice that fans should be very proud of.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Stajan is a good guy. I'd love to keep him around in some form of either coaching/development capacity or other type of capacity. He stands with a very small group of guys who have donned the Flaming C, that represents the Flaming C in ways on and off the ice that fans should be very proud of.

Unless he wants to move on from hockey I'd be very disappointed if he doesn't end up working for the organization in some capacity.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Unless he wants to move on from hockey I'd be very disappointed if he doesn't end up working for the organization in some capacity.

I could have sworn I read something that said Stajan was contemplating doing something along the lines of skills development with our team... but I can't find anything. I must be mixing it up with something else.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He fell down a lot, I think his nickname was snowpants. But you know what? He kept getting back up.

Congrats Staj, enjoy your family in retirement.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I was a fan of Stajan in his time here. IMO he was unfairly requested to do far beyond what he was capable of, but he still suited up and did his best. He literally played skill line, speed line, checking role, everything thrown at him and he did his best to be adequate. Then also went from our 1C to our 4C and he was a pure consummate pro in that capacity for several seasons, stepping up whenever the team needed him. It was like a paraphrase of the Batman quote, "He was what we needed, but not what we deserved." I defended Stajan more than most and IMO I was more than happy to try and keep him in our bottom 6 much to the chagrin and laughter of others, but even I didn't realize his importance and significance to this team until he had left for Europe.

Well said.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
There were times when I was choked he was our key piece for Phaneuf
And that's just the thing. If we got him for any of our middle-6 players, or bottom 3 D, I don't think he would have been ripped on as much as he was. While not the most skilled player, he was all heart, and all work ethic, and it showed, for 1,003 NHL games. If we got him in free agency instead of as the key piece in the Phaneuf deal, he'd be loved, the same way Ryan is.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Congrats on a great career Matty!

There were times when I was choked he was our key piece for Phaneuf, and his contract at one point seemed to be among the worst in the league. But Brian Sutter really helped him get his career turned around (same with Jokinen) and he really thrived in his role as a bottom 6 C, kina like what Ryan is for us now.

I will miss seeing him is his towel and he was such a good character guy who experienced a tragic loss. I wish him all the best and think he could be a great coach.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I missed an opportunity to post this?

9VLZ9BH.jpg

For shame Fig, for shame.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Stajan just said on After Hours he's going to start doing intermissions at Flames home games.

He'll fill in for the spot Sarich and co. have taken. I wish they'd just tell Francis to go f*** himself and just have two ex Flames players on, ie. Sarich and Stajan, or Stajan and Sutter, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->